It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

percan HB User
Newly Diagnosed - Need Encouragement

Hi everyone,

I'm 58 years old, felt I was doing the right things - walked nearly 5 miles a day, took my calcium, vit D and magnesium daily, and was in utter shock to learn 2 weeks ago that I have osteo. I'm just very depressed right now. Just last month I was running around NYC, up and down the 35 steps of the NYC Public Library about 10 times in one day, now I'm afraid to go up and down the 6 stairs in my house. My doc put me on Altevia, I don't even know how bad my osteo is, I was afraid to ask for the numbers because of the way he said it to me, it didn't sound good. Anyhow, right now I'm just looking for some encouraging words, reading the internet is so depressing. Is anyone just not having any problems with meds and just going about their daily lives not thinking about their osteo? I just feel like I turned into an old lady overnight and can't imagine ever not thinking about this. I was looking forward to doing all sorts of house renovations in the fall - repainting some rooms, moving furniture, etc, can't imagine standing on a ladder now, I'm frightened of everything. The future seems so bleak. I guess maybe people who aren't having any problems don't really come to these boards. But I thank anyone for any encouragement you can offer.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed - Need Encouragement

HI percan, welcome to the board . First of also call your doctor and ask for a copy of the DEXA report. Until you know what your scores are its hard to get a handle on things. You are already doing all the right things so you don't have to make lifestyle changes. Did your doctor ask you about family history or did he just go by the numbers and get out his script pad? I imagine you have lots of questions that need answered, so write them down and either call the office and talk to the dr. or make another appointment.

When first DX the natural reaction is fear of doing anything, even the things you've been doing for years. Give yourself time to get used to the idea and then make yur decision on how YOU want to treat your osteo. I recommend going to the library and getting a copy of The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson. Its a different kind of osteo book that will help you put the DX into perspective and help alleviate some of the fear. Its been very helpful to many after they learn their bones are less than perfect.

You are still the same person you were before the doctor told the news and if he didn't take the time to explain what your scores meant he wasn't doing his job. Fear is a big issue when told you have osteo. Also, there is a big difference between bone density and bone strength. Its too bad there isn't a test to measure that aspect of bone health. If there is such a test i'm not familiar with it.

When i was first DX i felt the same way even though my scores weren't too bad. I went thru a stage where, like you, i afraid to do the things i'd been doing forever. I got over that and now do what i want, but try to use good body mechanics and common sense. One last thought, even with osteo there is no way of knowing if you will or won't ever break a bone. People with "perfect" density break bones and people with osteo may never, its all luck of the draw.

WE are the same age and have many good active years a head of us. Stop beating yourself up, go for a walk and clear your head of the scary thoughts. Right now not knowing your scores is adding to your stress and we know that stress isn't good for our bones or any other part of us.

There are a whole bunch of women here who will help you thru this. If you have questions just ask. OH, and take a break from reading on the internet, there is so much info out there that it gets overwhelming. Have a good weekend...take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
(female)

percan HB User

Thank you so much phylwill. I am planning on getting the report eventually, I sort of needed to calm down a bit first so I can be more rational. Your words have helped me immensely and I will probably be re-reading them many times over the next few days.

No, he didn't really explain anything, which is what scared me so much. Because usually you can't shut this guy up, he goes into so much detail. But I got the bum's rush this time, like he didn't want to talk about it because it was so bad. He ran out of the room to get some samples, wrote the prescription, told me his wife takes them, and sent me on my way. I think part of it was also because I told him the office never called me with the results. I had the test 4 months ago, but due to various family crises I never called for the results. But then I figured if it were bad the office would have called. But they were apparently just negligent. So I only got the results when I went in for my yearly. So things are probably even worse now than the numbers show. My only consolation is that I was actually planning on scheduling my yearly for later in the year, so I at least didn't wait even longer.

I will get the results and then take them to a different doctor. I'm also going to get the book you recommended, and will try and stay off the internet (except for reading this board.)

Thank you again so much. In lieu of a "hug" emoticon. (((((( ))))))

Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi percan, thanks for your kind words, glad to know that i've helped you. This is a re-post of of a re-post that i think you might like. When you get the results post them. One thought, you may want to wait for the results and to see the new dr. before making any decisions of how you want to treat the osteo. Who knows the new dr. may have a different take than the one you just saw. Have a good weekend...phyllis

Simple thoughts...
***I first posted this last year but we have so many new members that i thought it might be nice to share it again.

Simple thoughts...
We are all looking for the right things to do to help our bones, but sometimes we forget that its simple things that many times do the most good. Let's see how many we can come up among all of us...

1. Balance...an easy way to prevent broken bones is not to fall. Practice balancing exercises along with your weight bearing and weight training. Don't forget good posture and practice it daily.

2. Keep active...no matter what we do during the day just moving and doing daily chores is exercise. It's all good.

3. Eat a balanced diet that includes all the right food and a few not so good, that we eat just to be happy. Chocolate does a body good .

4. Laugh often and heartily, its good for spirit and gives you strong abdominal muscles, which support the back.

5. Take your supplements, but don't stress about forgetting them some days. Stress isn't good for anything.

6. Listen to what you gut tells you, you'll know what's right and whats not for you. Everyone has an agenda to share or sell, some are good, some aren't, we have to decide for ourselves.

7. Don't let our less than perfect bones rule who we are...we are all much more than a dx given by a dr. who doesn't know us.

8. Enjoy everyday the best you can.

I'm sure there are many other thoughts to share, so please share. Have a good day everyone...take care...phyllis

Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
(female)

aritame HB User

Me too, yesterday. I'm 64. But, thankfully have a doctor who believes in natural treatments so I'm confident that he won't put me on meds until we've pursued all other options. I've epilepsy & he's removed me from dilantin, the culprit in this bone thing...and I'm starting physical therapy Monday. I'll let you know what we do...I walked several hours today. I've bought some liquid supplements but he'll be telling me what to buy and a friend told me about Ionic Fizz. I'll run that by him. He's a neurologist, treating me for epilepsy and migraines and works with a chiropractor, who's treating the migraines and discovered the osteoporosis in the neck x-ray so I haven't had the scan thing yet...but my legs ache etc. and I get the cramps...so...anyway...going to go eat my leafy greens and keep walking. And if I need titanium hips and knee caps by God I'll get 'em. And weight bearing exercises, is another thing he mentioned...but first we have to get rid of these migraines. Stand tall, woman. I'm still going to remodel. Going to crank up the music and paint my walls gold and my chairs sage and dark red. Still dancin' to Jackson Brown.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI aritame, welcome to the board . What a great attitude you have and even better a doctor willing to look at options before going straight to the drugs. Since he is into alternative methods ask him about Strontium Citrate. Its a natural supplement that i've been taking for almost 5 years and have had good results with no side effects. Osteo doesn't usually cause pain, hence the name "silent killer", so the leg aches and cramps may be from something else.

Good luck with the remodeling, love your colors and music choice. However dancing while painting could get...messy!!! Have fun!!! take care...phyllis

Closed Thread