It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

bfhd HB User
osteoporosis or osteopenia?

I have anorexia nervosa for 7 years i am 33 now , so my doctor told me 3 years ago (december 2008) to have a dexa scan, the results were: t-score -2.20 and z-score =-2.11. i didnít take any therapy i only tried to gain some weight and take as much calcium as i could.So i did an new dexa scan this year on August but in another center, the results t-score= -2.6 and z-score= -2.6. i had a shock , i couldnít believe it. I went to a doctor and he told me that my situation is very bad and i must do as soon as i possible the aclasta injection. I couldnít believe how could my scores be so bad so i decided to do another dexa scan in the first center so i could see how much was the difference. And itís saws t-score -1.95 and z-score -1.86 .The results were better. I didnít go for the injection. But still donít know what i have. Osteoporosis or osteopenia? The sure is that my bones are thin. I went to the doctor that watches me all these years and he send me to another Endocrinology doctor in the clinic. When he saw the dexa scan he told me that everything was ok and it could be fixed with calcium and good nutrition, but he decided that i should do a new scan there in his office, the results t-score: -2.6 and zscore -2.6. Dissapointed again. Who can i trust ? what do i have? Is it possible to have t-score and z score the same -2.6. Please help me?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: osteoporosis or osteopenia?

HI bfhd, welcome to the board . I can see why your so confused, the scores are all over the place. I've always been told that to have consistent DEXA's you need to have them done on the same machine with the same tech if possible. Even your score of -2.6 isn't that bad, -2.5 is the dividing line between ospteopenia and osteoporosis and you are barely over that. I agree with what the endo told you about a good diet, calcium and exercise. Don't forget vitamin D and magnesium, they both help with the absorption of calcium. You are fortunate to have a dr. who isn't pushing the drugs on you when they aren't necessary. You're still young enough that with effort and work you can improve your scores without taking drugs. So, my advice to you is to follow what the endo told you, stop beating yourself up and do all you can to give yourself strong healthy bones. Are you still anorexic or have you gotten help with that? Good luck. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
(female)

bfhd HB User

Thanks for your reply . I must admit that reading this forum make me feel much better, because i realise that there are and other people even at my age with the some problem. I freaked out with the results, not because i care so much for these numbers, i have realised that my bones are for sure thin, but here in my country ( i am from greece) when the doctors see -2.5 they told me oh donít worry we can fix it again, but when they see -2.6 they told me that this canít be fixed and we must keep it this way, and especially the first endocrinologist (the one with the aclasta injection) told me that i canít have a family and in the next years i will have a fracture, i didnít do the aclasta injection because my motherís cousin was in a coma for 6 months and i was scared.Anyway, the only doctor that didnít advice me to take pills is my psychologist who has seen other patients of him(he is an expert in anorexia) to build bones, but of course the score was osteopenia then. Now i only wait to see the second endocrinologist who will discuss the problem with my phycologist in one month(i must do some blood tests first) and we will see, but he even told me that we must keep it this way... So the last 3 weeks i only trying to eat so i can gain some weight i have lost 4 kilos with these situation i couldnít sleep and eat alot, i take my supplements and waiting... With that situation my anorexic problem came back. Thatís the big problem with this disease. And i thought i had it in control

Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI bfdh, i am sorry to hear that you are having to deal with so much at such a young age. I wish i had the words to make you feel better, but i don't, but what i can tell you that with time you'll be able to get things back in order. Until your blood test come back and tell the dr. what is going on there is little you can do. For now try to relax and build your strength. Do you live near your family or have friends that can help you thru this?

There is an Eating Disorder Recovery Board on this site that you can check out for support from those experiencing what your are dealing with. I don't know how to help in that area, but please know that we are here to not only help, but also to listen and support. take care...phyllis

Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
(female)

bfhd HB User

Tomorrow i have an appointment with my doctor and if i can get a permission from my job iíll go, and maybe he can help me again. All these years he helped me very much. My parents live in another place, in an island and i donít want to say anything to my friends. In fact this period i am avoiding all my friends and relatives. My friends donít even know my problem with food, for them i am "normal" girl but with some stomach problems, because i didnít eat all the foods.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI bfhd, good luck with your doctor appointment, i hope you can get off work to go. Since your doctor knows your history he'll be the best one to discuss everything with, be honest with him and leave nothing out. I'm sorry to hear that you have not confided in your family and friends, they could help you thru this stressful time and give you the support you need. Please let me know how the appointment goes and how you are doing. take care...phyllis

Closed Thread