It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Cool weather cooking...

Hello everyone, with the coming of cool weather my cooking is changing from light and cool to cuddly and warm. I am a huge a fan of soup and make it about twice a week during the fall and winter. Do any of you have any good soup recipes that are also a good source of calcium? Cream soups are high in fat, but with a few changes they can be healthier. I switch out full fat dairy for the reduced fat versions, but stay away from fat free. Any other thoughts on making them more healthy and less fattening? We also like bean and lentil soups. How bout we share some tried and tried recipes.

This is one we like and like most soups taste even better the nest day. Take care...phyllis

Chicken and Black Bean soup

•2 tsp. canola oil
•1 medium onion, finely chopped
•1 medium carrot, chopped
•1/2 large red/green pepper
•1 tsp. cumin or more.
•1 tsp. chili powder
•2 15-ounce cans reduced sodium black beans (high in calcium), rinsed and drained. Or use 2 different beans for variety.
•3 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
•1 16-ounce jar mild salsa
•1 1/2 cups cooked skinless white-meat chicken, chopped

***To make it vegetarian use vegetable broth and leave out the chicken or use a chicken substitute.
***I like to add a dollop or sour cream and sprinkling of cheddar cheese to my bowl.

Heat oil on medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Sauté onions, carrots and peppers for 5 minutes. Stir in cumin and chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Add black beans, broth and salsa. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken and simmer for 5 more minutes.

Serves 6-8, depending on the size of your bowl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
(female)

podiecat HB User
Re: Cool weather cooking...

Hi Phylwill,

I too love soups. I don't eat meat but often the same recipe can be adjusted using veggie broth. I often just 'wing it' in a big soup pot sauteing onion and some garlic, add veggie or bean broth, broccoli or kale, carrots or sweet potato and add other veggies and herbs that I have on hand. I cook it on the stove at a slow simmer for a long time and then blend it up with a hand blender. After adding a few grinds of himilayan sea salt I separate it into some containers to freeze and/or fridge. Each serving I heat up I squirt some Bragg's liquid aminos on top. Yummm! It is comfort food.

Years ago I went through a stage of cooking up a pot of dry beans with onion, carrots, parsley, celery and herbs each week. I would then strain the broth into small containers and use ice cube trays for the beans. It was really quick, easy and healthy, as well as yummy. Thanks for reminding me..... and for sharing your recipe.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI podiecat, thanks for ideas and for posting. I like to lighten things up on the board and sharing recipes is one of my favorite.

I like to "invent" soups as i go too. I don't have a hand blender, but think it would be something i'd use if i had one. As much as we like soups with broth, we do like the occasional pot of smooth and creamy. I have a very good potatoe soup recipe if you'd like that one. I'm getting ready to make a pot of chili for supper, its nice to have supper ready when i get home form the shelter. Have a good day. take care...phyllis

Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Yum, this is just what is needed for the cooler fall weather - soup!! Thank you for sharing that recipe and I would like to see the potato soup recipe if you are still on this forum!

My oldest sister(who also is borderline osteoporisis like me) really got into juicing this past summer, she made me this cream of broccoli soup that was delicious in her blender.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi rufous, thanks you for asking for the recipe, its one of our favorites. I have lots of soup recipes..do you like beans, lentils, barley? Another favorite of mine, not so much my husband, is an Italian Sausage Tortellini soup. take care...phyllis

Potatoe soup....

2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and diced...can us half white and half sweet potatoes. I don't peel the potatoes.
1 c. sour cream...reduced fat or plain fat free yogurt works
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. chopped onion
4 oz. 2% velveeta cheese or more.
2 T. butter..
1 quart milk...i use 1%..skim evaporated is also works or a combo of the 2

***you can also add chopped broccoli, sliced mushrooms, and shredded chicken to make it heartier.

***If you mash some of the cooked potatoes it gives the soup a thicker creamier texture or you can add some instant potatoe flakes.

Cook potatoes and onion till tender. Drain and set aside. Mix milk, soups, sour cream, butter and cheese and heat till cheese is melted..add potatoes and onions and season to taste with salt and pepper. Like all soups its even better the next day.

Closed Thread