It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

podiecat HB User
Postmenopausal, long term synthroid

For the last few days I've been doing lots of reading on dietary changes that greatly support increasing bone density with natural supplements.

Other than binges on cheese and carbos at times, I have eaten that way for years... 80% alkaline to 20% acid foods. I don't ever consume the worst foods that rob bone health such as sodas.

I do have a rare disease though. I also have been hypothyroid on generic synthroid since the 1990 and unfortunately never knew the impact it could have on my bones. Although most people with my disease, systemic mastocytosis, are on steroids often, I have been very aware of the serious side effects so avoid them almost always. And due to having too many mast cells that are too active, I have been on H1 and H2 blockers... Hydroxyzine (antihistimine) and zantac (anti acid that is know to be bad for bone health). I'm on the least possible amount of the drugs that I can be on and not become seriously flared, which also is an osteoporosis threat.

So, to those of you who have seen clear improvements in your DEXA scores with only supplements such as calcium, D3, K2, Mag, boron, and maybe strontium, have any of you been on synthetic thyroid meds or antacids?

I'm trying to find hope in my life of catch-22s. Even if just one of you out there has been on synthroid but still was able to improve your bone density in natural ways, it would give me a ray of hope.

Thanks....

Last edited by moderator2; 09-20-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Postmenopausal, long term synthroid

Hi podiecat, I've been taking synthyroid since the end of 2003. I have Graves Disease and since RAI to treat it, i've been on total thyroid replacement. Over the years i've had my dose adjusted several time and am now down to 112mcg. a day. Thru the use of supplements, exercise, a mostly good diet and strontium citrate i have improved my density. From what i've learned getting the right dose of thyroid hormone is the key to keeping your bones safe. Too much or too little both have an impact on bones. Has your dr. tried to get the dose right so you aren't still hypo? My dr. told me the goal is to get thyroid levels that are like those of a person without a thyroid problem. I've never used antacids on a regular basis so i can't help with that part. Have a good day. take care..phyllis

Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

podiecat HB User
Re: Postmenopausal, long term synthroid

Thanks for your reply, Phylwill. I'm on the same amount as you. Unfortunately I was on twice the dose for well over ten years and finally demanded that the doctor do a total thyroid panel. As with osteoporosis (and unfortunately lots more), there is a huge ignorance about thyroid issues among doctors. I'm sure that being so overmedicated with levothyroxine for so long has added to my bone issues. I am tested at least yearly and my last one looked like I was under-medicated a bit. Because I fluctuate often I decided to wait another six months on that dose and check it again. I don't want to be on too much again.

Thanks for the hope and so glad you are doing so well...

Closed Thread