It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

ml56 HB Userml56 HB User
Osteoporosis

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at 54. I have taken Protonix and Achiphex for years for reflux. I also have to take pain meds for other things. Right now, I am using the Calcitonin spray for the osteo, because I am scared of everything else. I was also diagnosed with low Vit. D and prescribed extra for about 3 mos. I don't know where to go from here. I went to an endocrinologist last week for possible thyroid problems, but won't get results until end of next week. It sometimes seems that life is falling apart. I got an occipital nerve block last monday, and started feeling really sick tuesday morning. Nausea, and just no appetite, and feeling like my heart was pounding out of my chest. I was scared to take pain meds, so didn't sleep for a day or so. Now I found out that I have a UTI, that I have possibly had for a while.
I am scared to stop with the Achiphex and Carafate, because of all of the other medications. But I am scared that they are stopping me from absorbing any calcium. I take two tums a day for my calcium, because regular calcium might mess my stomach up. Also take Vit D. daily now.
Has anyone had any of these problems? Do the PPI's really make the calcium not absorb?
I'm just so confused, and don't know what to fight first.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Osteoporosis

Carafate probably isn't blocking your calcium absorption, but Protonix could be.

What you need is a calcium CITRATE supplement. Tums is Calcium Carbonate, which is useless to a person with suppressed stomach acid.

I know, calcium citrate can irritate the stomach quite a bit. Coated tablets might go down a bit easier, or try a powder form that you can mix in food. Getting the Vitamin D back up will also strengthen your bones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread