It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
(female)

laurav HB Userlaurav HB Userlaurav HB Userlaurav HB User
New

Hi to everyone. I'm newly diagnosed with osteoporosis, though my case is about as complex as can be. I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS - also known as RSD), which is known to cause loss of bone density. I'm more or less wheelchair bound because of dystonia and contractures. I have nutritional problems and was severely underweight for quite some time because I've also got gastroparesis. Add in vitamin D deficiency, no periods... I've got about every risk factor for osteoporosis you could ask for.

Was only diagnosed however after several falls recently (yet another problem of mine is orthostatic hypotension, so I tend to faint a lot if I'm not careful while transferring) left me with a nice collection of compression fractures in my spine. I've got >50% compressions at T7, T8 and T12, less severe compressions at (from memory) T6, T10 and T11, and endplate fractures on everything from T5 to T12.

I saw an endocrinologist this week - he has ordered a lot of tests - a PQCT scan, a lot of blood and urine tests - and I'm to see him again in three months to discuss treatment. Another complicating factor is that I have troublesome wisdom teeth - and although it's now resolved I had osteonecrosis of my mandible three years ago so any sort of therapy for the osteoPOROSIS is going to carry some risk for me.

So - HI from me. Any thoughts, anyone in a similar position - I'd love to hear from you.

Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: New

HI laurabaus, welcome to the board . My goodness, you have quite a load on your plate. I'm not familiar with many of the conditions you mentioned, so its not insight i can offer, but i can offer support when needed. Please keep us posted on what your dr. says about all the test you took, three months seems a long time between test and visit, but maybe that is the way in Australia. Take care...phyllis

Closed Thread