It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

Annha HB User
Fosamax and tendon pain

Three weeks after starting Fosamax, I experienced acute pain in my left thumb. When similar pain occurred in my right thumb, and also both Achilles tendons, I made the possible connection. Seems like tendons rather than muscles or joints. Now, even after stopping for nearly a month, the pain continues to radiate down both forearms as well as ankles. I have seen others complain of joint, muscle or tendon pain associated with this drug but haven't been able to find a currently open thread. I'm worried about aggravating the condition by exercising while tendons are still inflamed (if that's what's going on), and I would like to hear from anyone who's experienced similar side effects. I'm surprised to experience still cascading side effects weeks after discontinuing the drug. Can anyone suggest help in speeding up relief -- or have information on when I might expect this to go away?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Re: Fosamax and tendon pain

I was experiencing the same with actonel along with a lot of other pains. It was transient pain for a week or two or even longer from one place to another. Felt like I pulled something. First it was in the knees, then in the wrists, then some place else. It continued while on the medication for 3 years. Most of it stopped when I stopped the actonel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
(female)

cindy0824 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annha View Post
Three weeks after starting Fosamax, I experienced acute pain in my left thumb. When similar pain occurred in my right thumb, and also both Achilles tendons, I made the possible connection. Seems like tendons rather than muscles or joints. Now, even after stopping for nearly a month, the pain continues to radiate down both forearms as well as ankles. I have seen others complain of joint, muscle or tendon pain associated with this drug but haven't been able to find a currently open thread. I'm worried about aggravating the condition by exercising while tendons are still inflamed (if that's what's going on), and I would like to hear from anyone who's experienced similar side effects. I'm surprised to experience still cascading side effects weeks after discontinuing the drug. Can anyone suggest help in speeding up relief -- or have information on when I might expect this to go away?
I'm 57 years old and very active (I work with horses). I have been on medications for osteoporosis for approximately the past 8 years. The first 4 yrs. or so I took Actonel and when it became too expensive, I started taking Alendronate 70 mg. - once weekly for the past 4 years (give or take). I never had any side effects from either medication. After having my last bone density I received a call from my doctor's office. They said they had good news and that I could stop taking the Alendronate. After a week or two (I can't really remember) I started having muscle and joint stiffness that came out of nowhere! I blew it off, thinking I had strained myself somehow. As the days went on it got worse and the pain and stiffness of all my muscles increased to the point that I could not turn over in bed, or for that matter, even get out of bed in the morning. I have severe pain and stiffness from my fingers/thumbs, through my wrists, up my arms through to the shoulders, down my spine, throughout my hips, down my thighs, in my knees, lower legs, and feet. After 3 weeks of this I started to think what had changed recently in my life and the only thing that did change was I had stopped taking Alendronate. I immediately called my doctor's office and left a message (last Wednesday) and have yet to receive a call back. So I decided to start checking on the Internet about the Alendronate and am shocked at what I'm finding. One day I was a perfectly healthy 57 year old woman with no health problems, and now I can hardly move! It takes me 10-20 minutes to get out of bed and that's after using an elastic band to stretch my arms and legs before I can even set foot on the floor. I've only found 2 people on the Internet so far that have talked about these symptoms after stopping Alendronate. All the other information I've found talks about these kinds of symptoms while people are still taking the medication. What scares me is that people went off the Alendronate because of the muscle/joint pain and stiffness and it took some of them a long time for the symptoms to stop. Some even still have the problems long after they stopped the medication (a year or more). I pray to God this is not some kind of permanent damage. If you happen to find out more, please let me know. I am scared, in a lot of pain, and pretty much nonfunctional. This is a nightmare!!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had this problem with actonel. Both actonel and Fosomax are biphosponates, are they not? Maybe this drug is not meant for you. Hope your doctor checks into it, and if it disagrees with you, hope he takes you off and doesn't give you trouble over it.

The Following User Says Thank You to dorri For This Useful Post:
cindy0824 (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
(female)

cindy0824 HB User

Yes, the are both biphosponates. Wish I would have experienced these symptoms while I was taking the Alendronate, as I would have stopped long ago. Unfortunately, I had to symptoms until they told me I could stop taking it. Now, I'm not on the medication, am miserable, and wonder how long this pain will continue. The doctor won't give me a hard time as he's the one who took me off of it. But I do hope he has some answers as to how long I might be affected by having taken the Alendronate. Heard it stays in your body for a long time........

The Following User Says Thank You to cindy0824 For This Useful Post:
dorri (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Chessie430 HB User

I was taking Actonel and in pain managemnt for back issues. I awoke one day with carpal tunnel. How did that happen? I also practive yoga and after one year, not only was my hands and wrists involved, my elbows were in pain too. Ultimately I had 3 injestions to both wrists at once, and 3 injections in my elbow. None of them were successful for even 1 hour! I googled "extreme joint pain" and found it was the Actonel I was taking. So, I stopped it and within 1 to 2 months, I was much better. The drug does stay in your system, so it will stay untils your body metabolizes it. All I know is that I am nopw off narcaotics after 4 years!! Did it have something to do with my back pain? I don't know but, at 54, I practice yoga daily with no pain whatsoever!

The Following User Says Thank You to Chessie430 For This Useful Post:
cindy0824 (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
(female)

cindy0824 HB User

I was taking Actonel for the 1st 4 years, then switched to Alendronate for the 2nd 4 years. So I was on these types of drugs for at least the last 8 years (with no problems). It wasn't until after I stopped that the pain started (within 1-3 weeks - cant' remember now). How long were you on the Actonel? I can handle 1-2 months of this pain if I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. To live like this the rest of my life, would be a disaster! That's why I'm wondering how long you took the medication. Thanks-thanks-thanks!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know if the information has changed on this but it was said before, that biphosponates may remain in the bone up to 7 years after discontinuing, but in my opinion that would depend on how long a person has been taking the drug. Again the information on this may have changed since I read it last. If anyone has something new to report on the duration it stays in the body, let us know.

Last edited by dorri; 05-27-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I only took it for 3 years with complaints and finally insisted to my doctor to take me off. I was feeling less pain weeks later and it continued to improve. For instance it really attacked the joints in my knee, usually one at a time. Several months later, I woke up and said "hey, my knees aren't hurting anymore. I had other joint pain and stiffness as well and after going off actonel most of it had disappeared. Some people can take this drug without a problem. It just wasn't for me.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
(female)

cindy0824 HB User
Smile Re: Fosamax and tendon pain

Oh my gosh - it can stay in your body for seven years???? Hopefully the side effects will lessen sooner than that. I suppose it depends on each individual person and their metabolism. Have wondered if using heat or ice will help, but I'd need a full body suit! May start with just some areas and work from there. Really do not want to take anything like Ibuprofen - would rather try to do this naturally. I've already "learned my lesson" taking medications!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Chessie430 HB User

Cindy,
I was on Actonel over 4 years. My doctor (Ob/Gyn) never told me about the possible side effects, nor did my pain managemnet doctor. I was diagnosed with Osteopenia, that went to Osteoporosis (at 51!). Since I stopped the medication last April, the doctor wanted another dexa-scan - 1 year, instead of 2. The dexa scan showed I was back to Osteopenia. I do know yoga has been awesome for my health - it can cure anything. I also did a little Ayurvedic wrok, but just finished 10 Rolfing Sessions (Ada Rolf was the person who discovered this). It is getting structurally integrated voia removing your fascia away from the bone so the fluids can flow freely. He even felt a nerve in my leg and said it was hung up. It was the same nerve that was on "fire" and caused severe pain. Rolfing was the best decision I have ever made for my health.
Debbie
Let me know what happens.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chessie430 For This Useful Post:
cindy0824 (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
(female)

cindy0824 HB User

Hi Debbie,
Our stories sound very similar. I was diagnosed 8-10 years ago with Osteopenia, then Osteoporosis. The last scan this year showed I was back to Osteopenia, so they told me to stop the meds. My doctor (OBGYN) didn't say anything about side effects, either. To be honest, I never read thru the pages of warnings that come with the medication, either - which I probably should have. And, I didn't experience anything while taking the medication so I thought everything was OK. I'll bet in all the warnings they send with the medication it does not tell you you might experience joint/muscle pain when you stop the medication. This is just too weird and painful. I've never tried yoga, Ayurvedic work or Rolfing. Not even sure what the last two are (I'll look them up). Glad you found something that works well for you - you certainly need to keep that up! I'm hoping to wake up one of these mornings and be able to move again. Right now the only 2 things that don't hurt is chewing food and blinking my eyes. Using stretchy bands to pull and stretch my arms and legs in the AM help me to get out of bed and start moving for the day. Am anxiously looking forward to getting my life back. I'm way too active to be living like this! I'll keep you posted (I just hope this doesn't take years to go away).
Thanks so much!
Cindy

Old 05-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
(female)

cindy0824 HB User

Hi Debbie,
Our stories sound very similar. I was diagnosed 8-10 years ago with Osteopenia, then Osteoporosis. The last scan this year showed I was back to Osteopenia, so they told me to stop the meds. My doctor (OBGYN) didn't say anything about side effects, either. To be honest, I never read thru the pages of warnings that come with the medication, either - which I probably should have. And, I didn't experience anything while taking the medication so I thought everything was OK. I'll bet in all the warnings they send with the medication it does not tell you you might experience joint/muscle pain when you stop the medication. This is just too weird and painful. I've never tried yoga, Ayurvedic work or Rolfing. Not even sure what the last two are (I'll look them up). Glad you found something that works well for you - you certainly need to keep that up! I'm hoping to wake up one of these mornings and be able to move again. Right now the only 2 things that don't hurt is chewing food and blinking my eyes. Using stretchy bands to pull and stretch my arms and legs in the AM help me to get out of bed and start moving for the day. Am anxiously looking forward to getting my life back. I'm way too active to be living like this! I'll keep you posted (I just hope this doesn't take years to go away).
Thanks so much!
Cindy

Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Chessie430 HB User

Cindy,
I hope it doesn't take that long either. Since your were on some type of medication - I don't even know the word - biphosphate?? - twice as long as me, it may take a little longer to get out of your system.
Ayurveda is a 5,000 year old medicine, religion and philosophy from India, where all natural herbs, roots, etc. are used to cure illness and pain. It's a daily practice and for it to work you must be 100% commited. I was - for about 2 months. I saw a doctor, Dr. Patel. He was 83 and helped me some, but we didn't get to testing my medicines. If so, he would have told me it was the Actonel.
Rolfing is like deep tissue massage, but a bit different. A certified Rolfer must graduate from the Rolfing Institute in Colorado. It is a bit expensive - $130 session ). I completed the 10 sessions and $1,000 was much less expensive than the $15,000 for all the MRI.s, EMG's, injections and medications and visits were, not mentioning PAIN! I remember one yoga class where I just could not get up and the tears just started to flow. I said to myself, "If this is what my life is like, I just want to die!" I was serious - I know you understand that.
I will send you healing light and energy. I truly believe the homeopathic (Eastern) medicine with a bit of Western thrown in, is the way to go and I am following this path.

Please keep me posted on your progress. I hope you are pain free very soon.
Debbie

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
(female)

cindy0824 HB User

Hi Debbie,
Our stories continue on such similar paths! I, too, went thru lots of injections, MRI's, and EMG's, blah-blah for my back pain and spent out of pocket $15,000 (with insurance) in one year with no success. The only thing they found out for sure is that there is nerve damage coming from the L4-L5 area. Got sick injections, pills, and no success so I quit going to any doctors 4 years ago. Maybe part of that back pain is associated with the Actonel/Alendronate meds, too!! The Ayurveda and Rolfing sound very interesting. If I need more info on them, I know who to contact! I have to say, this AM when I woke up, it seemed like the pain was a little less severe, so I'm hoping this is a good sign that this stuff is leaving my body. I've had this pain for about a month now, so maybe I'm half way back! What I'm wondering is - since my numbers from the bone density came back up, what will those numbers really look like when this medication is out of my body? Will the numbers drop again? And exactly what did this medication do to my body/bones? It's scary. I will keep you up to speed with my progress. Sounds like you are definitely on the right path and so glad you found something that works for you! You "go girl" and enjoy life. Thanks for all your input!! Stay tuned..............
Cindy

Reply Reply