It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
(female)

thyroida HB User
Osteoporosis- no broken bones?

My DEXA was -3.4 last year; I've never broken a bone. Tripped outside and fell on concrete today, no breaks/injuries. Just wondering if anyone else out there has been diagnosed with Osteoporosis, but never broken a bone?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User
Re: Osteoporosis- no broken bones?

Bone density does not necessarily equate with bone strength.
I have been in the opposite position where my Dexas were not indicating osteoporosis (severe arthritis can mask the lack of density) and yet I had numerous spontaneous vertebral fractures. I no longer get scanned (I'm loaded with titanium) but I know my bones have gained in strength (thank you Forteo & Strontium) because I no longer fracture despite some pretty nasty falls. It's a fairly accurate indicator, I think.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I am at 3.5 and haven't broken any bones. But now, I am terrified.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis a few years ago. My last bone scan showed no change, not better or worse. I have fallen off a bench once while trying to read a meter. I hit cement. A bit of pain but thankfully no breaks. A few times my foot slipped off high heeled shoes but thankfully no sprains or breaks but now I can visibly see the hip bones disappearing so need to get on medication but I'm stumped as to what I should go on.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

lowbone HB User

My mother had osteoporosis and fell several times w/o breaking any bones. I'm hoping that will be the case for me if I ever fall.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
(female)

TrustingOne HB User

My score is -4, and I didn't break anything when I fell a few months ago.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
(female)

robine27 HB User

My Dexa L2-4 T score is -3.3 down from -2.8 two years ago.
left hip -2.2
right hip -2.3
No broken bones. But no falls either.
I have been on Evista the last two years. Before that Fosamax weekly for a few years, Fosamax daily for a few years, Calcitonin nose spray for a few years. Now my endocrinologist wanted to try Reclast but my kidney test came back large amount of protein in urine so Reclast is out. I had pretty much decided I did not want Reclast anyway as I had some aching bones and muscles from Fosamax. Doing more tests for the kidney doc to find out the reason for spilling protein. Could be the hydrocortisone or fludrocortisone although I have had to take that for about six years for several autoimmune conditions and my Dexa numbers were stable or going up slightly. Will have results in a few weeks.
Has anyone had autoimmune osteoporosis, I think a fairly new diagnosis. Docs are thinking it may be that?
My Dad, Mom, Brother, and 40 year old Daughter all have had osteoporosis as well and my two Daughters have several of the same autoimmune conditions.

Robine27

Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
(female)

Niemand HB User
Smile Re: Osteoporosis- no broken bones?

Same story. DEXA scan said -3.6 in, I think, '98. 11 years of bisphosphonates, from Didronel to Boniva and back to Actonel, made very little difference. Had several really bad falls without breaking any bones. Excess calcium excretion and deficient Vitamin D metabolism corrected made little difference to the DEXA scans. Stopped taking Actonel because of excessive muscle cramps in 2009. 2011 DEXA scan showed -3.4 for one vertebra and little better for the others. I lift weights 3 times a week and swim for 1/2 hr afterwards. I suspect bone density is not all there is to bones. As my last physician pointed out, that's the only quality we can measure "repeatably". I use quotation marks because if you move and/or change labs the repeatability depends on how closely the calibration of the diverse machines matches.
Stop worrying about it. Don't climb on ladders or take other risks of falling, watch where you step.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I was told I may end up having a bone biopsy taken from the pelvic bone to see if I truly have osteoporosis or a bone infection. The dr said the DEXA scan doesn't show the difference. I see a new endocrinolgist on Wednesday. My blood levels are normal yet I have the severe osteoporosis. I get severe body cramping and have to drink pedialyte. I want to have a test on my parathyroids as a problem with them can cause osteroporosis and brain calcifications which I have. Have had resistance because blood work is normal on them too
I broke an ankle about 8 years ago and that's it.

Reply Reply