It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

joylee HB User
Diagnosed serious osteoporosis 4 days ago

Hello everyone,
This was such a blow when i was told that i have this disease,as you all can understand the way i am feeling, this gives me some comfort in knowing i am not alone.
I am 64yrs old, i had a fall 2 months ago and fractured my sacrum.
After a bone density test, i was diagnosed with this disease.
I am being treated with Actonel EC Combi D Tablets EC 35mg-2.5-22mcg 1
(Risedronate/CaC03/D3).
Could any one please tell me how long it will take for my bones to strengthen, my doctor said i should be ok in 6 months.
I have been on a high protein diet for the last 10 months, lost a lot of weight.
I realise this probably contributed to it all.
I am eating a lot of dairy products.
Wondering if alcohol can be a problem slowing the process down.
I was drinking quite a bit, but have slowed down in that department.
I eat well, and take daily walks, allthough i can not manage my regular walks of 4 klms a day any more since i broke my sacrum.
I lost my husband 3 yrs ago, after being married for 43 yrs.
I have been in a relationship with a nice chap for the last 6 months.
I was thinking about ending it when i was diagnosed, but he wants to continue with our relationship.Its just been such a blow.
Yours sincerely joylee.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Diagnosed serious osteoporosis 4 days ago

I certainly can relate I got my bad news last week too. (gentle hugs)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

Read the book, "The Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sanson. It will alleviate many of your concerns. This disease is being promoted by the drug companies. I tried all the osteo meds but couldn't tolerate the side effects. I was "diagnosed" more than 10 years ago and haven't broken a bone yet. I take calcium, vitamin d, and exercise. The drugs, in many cases, cause more problems than you had to begin with. Each person should do the research and decide what's best for them. I still worry somewhat but not to the degree I used to.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, so sorry to hear about your osteo. There is certainly controversy over these meds, I have read and read and researched, talked to ladies, drs and such. I have osteopenia, the beginning stages of it. But I take meds that cause this side effect (and have to take them ) . My endo wanted me to take Prolia 6 months ago and I refused, then I had to have shoulder surgery May 14 for a tear and severe arthritis. ho hum. I had to do something to prevent further damage in my joints.

So I just got my first shot of the Prolia this week.

I was wondering, how much drinking are you doing, honestly? My sister is an recovering alcoholic and has severe osteo from it. btw, it is hereditary, my mom has it too. If you can exercise I'd definitely do that, walking, strength training (I can't). good luck cj

Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
(female)

momof2rugrats HB Usermomof2rugrats HB User

I dont no much about osteoporosis. I just had a bone density test done today. My Grandma on my mothers side has it. And my mother as well. But, she ended up in the hospital with a fracture. After opening a window in her house... And, they found old fractures she didnt no she had. My mother is an alcoholic. She has drank before she was of age & smoked as well. Not sure if it is a myth. But, i have read that these two things can rob the calium from your bones? Not sure if this is true?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The medicine should strengthen your bones in 6-12 months, depending on how low your density was. I would keep up the med, the weight bearing exercise, the alcohol restriction, and I would ask for a Vit D blood test to see if the D in the Actonel is enough. That vitamin is essential for calcium absorption. You mentioned your new relationship. There is no reason to not continue seeing him. That would probably just make you more upset, and this should improve with treatment. Yes alcohol can contribute to osteoporosis, but it is usually caused by a number of factors. You are on the right track. Just keep up the good work and you should see improvement on your next bone density test.

Reply Reply