It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

jantoo HB User
Forteo

Am about to switch from Boniva to Forteo. Have it in the spine & hips. No fractures so far. Can anyone tell me their experiences with Forteo?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
Re: Forteo

It caused me to have insomnia. I also didn't like the fact that after the two-year period I would have to take a bisphosphonate in order to prevent losing whatever gains I made while on it. I only took it for a few months since I couldn't tolerate not sleeping. Others have had success with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
(female)

jantoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano0105 View Post
It caused me to have insomnia. I also didn't like the fact that after the two-year period I would have to take a bisphosphonate in order to prevent losing whatever gains I made while on it. I only took it for a few months since I couldn't tolerate not sleeping. Others have had success with it.
Oh, thank you so much for your input. Am so depressed about all of this. Took Fosamax, Boniva, for 10 years & 2 years of Reclast IV's (the once a year med) & then to find out I have "full blown osteoporosis" in the spine & hips - plus I have 40 degree scoliosis. I am going thru the angry stage, I guess. I have exercised all my life, running 6 marathons, PSIA Nordic ski instructor, road biker who has done century race for past 4 years & eaten so well for past 40 years & haven't drank since 30th wild birthday party. I don't smoke. The doc says "you got the gene." My mother & 3 sisters don't have it. So, I am NOT going on the Forteo now, but have been swimming everyday at local high school pool & up to 1 mile 7 days a week. At least i will go out in style if I get a fracture. I am hurting or should say "falling apart." Thanks again ....

Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

On the positive side - Forteo brought me back from complete fragility (5 spontaneous vertebral fractures) to strength and stability. I can no longer be scanned as I am full of titanium, but I have had some wicked falls with no damage beyond bruises. For me it was a life-saver and I experienced no side-effects whatsoever. I refuse to have anything to do with bisphosphonates, having permanently eroded out my esophagus my first trial of Fosamax. I am one of many fans of strontium on this board and would suggest you look further into supplementing with that in addition to whatever program you adopt. Good luck!
Carol

Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

ml56 HB Userml56 HB User

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis earlier this year, but I get reflux very easily. I use calcitonin which is an old drug, but I am so scared of the rest of them due to stomach issues.
Is strontium easier on your stomach? I do not take reflux drugs daily anymore, but have to take achiphex as needed now. I now know that I wasn't absorbing calcium or vit D. due to the medication taken for yrs. I would like to take something better than the calcitonin(nasal spray), but am terrified of another reflux attack.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

Strontium has no effect at all on my digestive system.
I'm on omeprazole for life because of the damage done by the Fosamax.
I have had no side effects, only benefits.
Good luck!
carol

Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
(female)

ml56 HB Userml56 HB User

I talked to my dr. this morning about Strontium, and she told me that it was not available in the US. Where do you get yours?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
(female)

Strontium citrate is available in the US. Strontium ranelate is the rx form sold in Europe.
The action of S. citrate seems to be equivalent. I buy mine online and as it is sold as a supplement rather than a med, the FDA takes no notice of it. It's not on the radar of most physicians. Just do a search with your favorite engine and you will find it.
Good luck!
carol

The following user gives a hug of support to turtlelady:
ml56 (11-10-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
(female)

Moggs HB User
Thumbs up Re: Forteo

I did Forteo for two years and would do it again if they let me. I had almost constant bone pain when I started it. The pain stopped, I gained 14% bone mass and got back real quality of life. The needle is tiny, after the first two injections, once you know what to expect and you realize it is not a big deal, you calm down and just do it and get on with your life.

Forteo does have to be refrigerated. When I traveled I would tell the hotel that I needed a refrigerator in my room. They can't charge you extra for it, it is covered under the American's with Disabilities Act 504 (the same law that requires wheelchair ramps), but if they didn't have one they would agree to just put it in their kitchen refrigerator. No big deal.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
(female)

shopper56 HB User

Did you have any side effects? I am concerning about learning of the osteosarcoma in rats from it. It was recommended for my 22 year old daughter with devere osteoporosis.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
(female)

jantoo HB User

Thanks soooo much about the strontium info. I found it on line & the kids are bringing it down to me (live in Mexico) for Christmas. Am so excited. Thanks again
Would have never thought of looking on line if it weren't for you.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
(female)

ml56 HB Userml56 HB User

Is there a certain brand that you recommend of the Strontium Citrate? I would like to go ahead and order some.
I use the Calcitonin spray, and read the other day that they are going to make it in pill form, and that it should work better than the spray does. My understanding is that the spray is not as strong against the osteo as the other treatments. Hopefully, the pill will not have the side effects some of the other treatments have.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
(female)

jantoo HB User

Dear ML, I ordered Advanced Orthomolecular Research (AOR) strontium citrate 60 caps @ $19.20. Then I ordered Life Extension strontium caps mineral for bone health 90 caps of 750 mg. @ $15.00. Best, jantoo

Last edited by moderator2; 12-03-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to jantoo For This Useful Post:
ml56 (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
(female)

Moggs HB User

No lasting side effects. Certainly not cancer. You understand they feed tons of the stuff to rats, amounts way above human dose rates to get the rats sick. The last time I looked at the research they didn't have any incidences of humans developing cancer.
The only side effect I had is if I accidentally hit a capillary when I injected and it went into my blood stream instead of under the skin I had to lay down for about 15 minutes. That's it. Since I have a job, I injected at night so I didn't lose that 15 minutes getting ready for work. It only happened about once every two weeks; definitely not a big deal, certainly not a show stopper.

Moggs

Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
(female)

Takesti1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantoo View Post
Am about to switch from Boniva to Forteo. Have it in the spine & hips. No fractures so far. Can anyone tell me their experiences with Forteo?
Hi, I have been on Forteo for nearly 1yr, the first three months I had severe nausea, I was advised to change my injection time from 5.00pm to 9.00pm which helped my symptoms a lot. I nearly gave up in those first 3mths but I am now so pleased I stuck it out as my first dexa scan in June showed improvement in my T score from -4.1 to -3.4 I am due my second scan next week so hope things have improved even further. Good Luck.

Lx

The Following User Says Thank You to Takesti1 For This Useful Post:
jantoo (12-07-2011)
Reply Reply