It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
(female)

sharpmama HB User
Question Newly diagnosed, have a big question!

Hi all,

I'm new to this osteoporosis board and still have so much to learn.

After having my second dexa in Nov., my doctor gave me a copy of the report and told me I have severe osteoporosis (T -4.0), but only in one area.* I was shocked, since the previous test in 2009 was normal. We did not have a lot of time to talk, but he really wanted me to start treatment right away. We discussed a couple of options and I am scheduled for a reclast infusion Monday.

But after checking out Reclast's side effects further as well as all the alternative choices, I am considering postponing or cancelling the infusion until I've had a chance to speak with him the following week.

Here's my question: have any of you had the jaw bone problem? How about persistent joint/bone/muscle pain? Any other serious side effects? Did you consider trying lifestyle changes first? (excercise, etc.)

If not, what was your experience with these two treatments?

Thanks for any insight or thoughts!

sharpmama

* PS- the only place I have the osteoporosis is the neck of my right femur, one of many bones & joints that spent MONTHS in a full body cast following an accident when I was 2 1/2 years old! I've not broken anything since and was very physically active for years afterwards. I suspect this area became osteoporotic because of the above experience AND the soft tissue cortisone injections (I also have severe osteoarthritis, a subset of osteoarthritis) and steroid epidural injections for my lower back pain due to the arthritis).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

TrustingOne HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed, have a big question!

I haven't taken Reclast, so can't comment on that. But since you have reservations about receiving the treatment so suddenly, with unanswered questions, it sounds like your heart is telling you to at least postpone it.

We each have to choose our own path; mine is taking me the diet/exercise/supplements route. Best wishes to you as you find yours.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed, have a big question!

That is quite a change in 2 years. You might consider seeing an orthopedic doctor to evaluate that hip with your history.

Another thought is do you take protein pump inhibitors for reflux? Have you ever had courses of oral steriods in the past couple of years for your arthritis or any other health issue? What other medicines are you taking? How old are you?

How long have you had arthritis? Is it only in certain joints? Have you been evaluated by a rheumotologist?

I would get some very specific information before opting for the Reclast, especially seeing an orthopedic doc. IMHO

Reply Reply