It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User
Broken foot

Hi everyone, I am new to this subject. I have posted on the arthritis site before now. I am sitting in my chair nursing a broken foot and have a cast boot on. I am very worried as my gp and consultant have both mentioned osteoporosis this week. My bone fractured on its own. I didnt bang it or fall or anything. I have arthritis, post menopausal, and have had many years of steroid jabs. All of which are not good for osteoporosis. I am back to the fracture clinic on Wednesday and I am wondering what will happen from there. A dexa scan has been mentioned as well. I also take rabeprazole for hiatus hernia and have heard this may contribute to osteoporosis. My leg bones and feet bones ache all the time, is this a symptom? Can anyone give me some info on osteop? what should I ask at the appt on Wednesday? Worried that I now have something else to cope with. Thanks Ronnie

Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Broken foot

HI Ronnie, welcome to the osteo board . Sorry to hear you have a broken foot and hope it heals soon. Since the bone broke on its own it does suggest that osteo is involved. What you have is a spontaneous fracture as opposed to a traumatic which is caused from a fall or accident. Your doctor requested a DEXA to find out what is going on with your bones, check their density and see what needs to be done to make them stronger. Now is the time to educate yourself about different options so when you discuss it with him you know what's going on and won't be freaked out by what he has to say. He may suggest one of the drugs for osteo and you'll want to go in informed about your choices. My guess is that your leg and feet hurt from arthritis since osteo doesn't cause pain, which is why its call the silent killer. Be sure to tell the doctor that.

You can find loads of info about osteoporosis online but until you know exactly what you are dealing with you could ask about the meds you are already taking, what changes you can make to help your bone density, do they offer alternative treatment or just go with the current osteo drugs, and will all future scans be done on the same machine. Be sure to write all your questions down and have them in your hand when you walk in so they will be sure to answer them for you.

Lastly, don't make yourself crazy worrying until you know something. Please keep us posted. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply