It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

teethandtoes HB User
Newly Diagnosed with questions

Hi I was just diagnosed with Osteoporosis. I am a little shocked because I am "only" 50 and I have been pretty athletic for the last 15 years. But my back has been killing me this year so maybe that is why. I will list out my bone-scan (DXA) numbers below. Also I had a lumbar spin MRI and it said I have a minor fracture at T12 with some anterior wedging. The bone scan report also says there is evidence of "previous wedge compression fracture of T12".

So yes, I have a doctor etc but to make a long story short I no longer put all my faith in a single doctor and that oftentimes I can learn so much more from talking to other people, including from forums like this.

So here are my questions- fi you can only answer one question, I would really appreciate it:

1)I don't know why there is no mention of what is going on in the Thoracic spine???? The report just mentions the Lumbar spine. Can I assume the thoracic spine is the same? I ask this because it is the thoracic spine that is killing me. In fact, my lumbar spine has never really hurt.

2)I stopped getting periods 3 years ago and it seems like since that time my gums are starting to recede quite quickly even though my cleaning habits have remained the same. And just tonite I read that gum recession can be caused by bone loss!! So does anyone know anything about this and do you think taking biophosphenates will help with my gums? I am as worried about my gums as I am about my back- maybe even worried more about the gums....

3) My doctor gave me a prescription for Fosomax ... I think it may be worth the risk if I just take it for a year but does anyone know of some really trustworthy resources I can research????- I already googled of course but there is so much garbage on the internet and the Canadian government website makes no concrete recommendations per se.

4)My mother was on Fosomax for years and she reported that her bone density increased. (Also she didn't have any bad side effects, which is the main reason I am considering trying it.) I was wondering what sort of improvement I can look forward to?????? Do you think I can get back under 2.5 or even 1? Do you know of any report that talks about this? (also I have read that denser is not necessarily stronger but not from any sort of official website so I am a little confused as to who to trust etc)

5)Exercise- I read somewhere that doing forward bends and crunches is not recommended for people with spinal osteoporosis. Is that true? (I love dance class) Also, I am not sure about running- it says impact is good but may also cause fractures.? (I love to run) Also, I know how to make the femur stronger I guess but how to make the lumbar spine stronger?????? (larger bones) Does anyone know of a trustworthy site that has exercises on it apart from simple weight bearing?

thanx!

ok, here are my numbers

AP Spine (L1-L4).....T-score:-2.6 .....Z-score-1.8
Femoral Neck (left)..T-score:-1.7 ......Z-score-0.9
Total Hip (Left).......T-score: -0.8......Z-score -0.3

the right side is about the same as the left.
The report says "This patient's 10 year absolute fracture risk based on age and T-score is moderate at 10-20%. A repeat study, if clinically indicated is likely not necessary for at least 2 years".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
(female)

teethandtoes HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed with questions

ok well I just found an article and it says no crunches or forward bends.

It also explains how the bone density tests don't test the thoracic spine because the ribs are in the way but that is someone is showing osteopenea in the lumbar spine they should assume they have osteoporosis in the thoracic spine. They say bone density decreases from cervical to lumbar but the actual bone size increases. I don't quite follow their logic.

I am really choked over this!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-24-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: please do not copy from websites

Reply Reply