It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

rottiedog HB User
Info on Forteo

Hello out there. I have been reading your posts on Forteo and decided to join the group. This is my first post. Hello everyone!!! I am a 68 year old lady that has deteriorating bones, many breaks over the years and very painful neck pain. I am headed for surgery within the next several weeks to take care of the problems in my neck. I hope that makes me feel better. My doctor (acatually all of my doctors) has suggested I try Forteo, my bone problems are so severe and getting worse as I age. I have read all I can about Forteo and am VERY suspicious of the drug. My major problem is the self-injections. I get quezy when I have to have blood drawn - it is an absolute stress draining procedure for me - that is how much I hate needles of any kind. My doctors says the needle for Foreto is as thin as an eyelash???? How easy is this to do???? What is the smallest needle that you can use??? For those of you that have been on Foreto for years - how are your bones doing, i.e. is the meds doing you good??? I was on Boniva for a short while and started having gastro problems so dropped it. PLEASE help me with this. I want to strengthen my bones, but I am not sure I can inject myself even once, much less every day for years. I have checked on Prolia and Reclast and my doctor says Forteo is the drug I need. Any help will be greatly appreciatd. Glad to be in the group!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User
Re: Info on Forteo

I did the two years of Forteo with amazing results and no side effects whatsoever. The needle is the smallest one made and I barely felt it most of the time. I took Fosamax previously and it severely and permanently eroded my esophagus. I had a year of Forteo after my last spine surgery and it allowed for complete healing - regrowth of bone which had been pretty soggy before. Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to turtlelady For This Useful Post:
rottiedog (02-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

Turtlelady - I've heard that once you stop taking Forteo you lose all the gains that you made. What have you been doing since you stopped it?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

I have been maintaining very happily with Strontium citrate.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Rottie, even though I only did one injection and was not liking the thought of it, it really was ok. The needle is so little. Believe me if you ever used a sewing needle and accidentally poked yourself, that was worse. I don't think I even felt it. I wouldn't have a problem doing an injection again. What was more annoying was the site became very red and itchy later that night.

Reply Reply