It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Confusing results

My bone mineral density score:

Lumbar T -1.9, Z -1.3
Hip T -1.3, Z .02

I've been told I have osteoporosis and another nurse said it was osteopenia. I questioned the nurses and was told different labs have different values.

Would you please give me your impression of the results?

Thanks!!!
Annie

Last edited by annie42; 03-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Confusing results

HI Annie, those are great scores, all in the normal range by the score values i see when i get mine done. I wasn't aware that different labs used a different values, unless they use a different kind of DEXA machine that reads different. Maybe a second DEXA at another facility would be a good idea, just for comparison. take care, phyllis

The following user gives a hug of support to phylwill1152:
annie42 (03-11-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
annie42 (03-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you Phyl. I really appreciate your reply. It's great to have a board to turn to when there are questions that get conflicting answers! I value the experience of the people on here.

Now a friend in the medical profession said I was "moderately" osteoporotic! DUH! So what does that mean??? Do I or don't I have osteoporosis! This is a tough situation to be in because I don't want to take meds if I don't have to. I think I'll be contacting my doctor Monday.

Again, thank you kindly,
Annie

I wish there could be a national rule that all labs had to follow! )

Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Annie, i can see why you're confused, but can also see why you don't want to take meds if not necessary. My advice to you is to do your own research and be as informed as possible when you see the doctor. Take a list of questions with you and don't let him pressure you into taking anything that you feel isn't right for you. With scores like yours, even if they are "moderate", you can do things to improve your density before resorting to the drugs You didn't mention your age, exercise level, family history, or any other risk factors that that could help with your decision.

There are a couple of books that would be helpful, The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sansone and Your Bones by Laura Pizzorno. they both give very good advice on options, exercise, diet and supplements. Good luck with your appointment , keep us posted. Oh, could you get a copy of your DEXA and post the values they use, i'm curious about their scoring system. take care, phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 03-12-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
(female)

Hi Phyllis,

I plan on obtaining a copy of my results hopefully this week. I'll post them on here.

I have everything one needs to have osteoporosis! I'm 69, surgically induced meno at age 39, mother had broken hip, small frame, took proton pump inhibitors for 2 years and for the last 2 years - no exercise other than keeping house.

I'm now off the PPI and started exercising - strength - weight bearing, endurance, flexibility, balance etc. I've always eaten a healthy diet and taken calcium and D3 but didn't know the PPI was preventing it from being absorbed.

I have researched the available drugs and don't like any of them. I can't take Reclast due to GERD and I don't want the infusion. The thought of having this in my system and unable to discontinue it isn't my cup of tea.

I'm concerned about hip fractures and Evista doesn't prevent this fracture. I've been reading quite of lot about Strontium but don't know if it's something my doctor would prescribe as he didn't mention it when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I do know he doesn't believe regular ERT works so...I'm up in the air right now.

Thanks for the book info. I'll check into it.
Blessing,
Annie

Last edited by annie42; 03-12-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Annie, I'm glad you mentioned looking into Strontium, cause that what i've been taking for over 5 years and have gains with each DEXA. I've also had no side effects, but some do. Your doctor won't mention it as an option because it isn't a FDA approved drug. My doctor knows i've had good luck with it but won't tell others about it since its not been approved. I think its a matter of protecting themselves from any problems that may occur. Both of the books i told you about talk about Strontium and offer good advice about it.

You're right to be concerned about the current drugs, they have some nasty side effects and need to be carefully thought about before deciding to take any of them. Something to keep in mind is just because you have the risk factors, it doesn't mean that you will have a fracture

What does ERT mean? Do you live in the US? Now i'm puzzled about your scores...they look good, but with the early memo, and fractures, and family history i'm really confused. take care, phyllis

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi Annie. I'm not up on the way some labs interpert results but yes, some have different levels to determine things. I totally agree with Phyl ask tons of questions at your next Dr. visit.

I also agree with you about taking anything that lasts for a long time in your system cause if you have any kind of reaction how would they counter act it? At least if your taking a pill and you have a reaction you can stop it.

Now that your off the PPIs, maybe a bit more Calcium and other bone helping foods will digest better and give you better results next time. I'm assuming your referring to ERT as Estrogen replacement therapy..Hormone pills.

Good luck and please keep us posted...JJ....

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
annie42 (03-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
annie42 (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
(female)

Phyllis, I'm so glad to 'talk' to someone who is on Strontium! I'm leaning toward this more and more. I'm scared to death of the other meds!

ERT = Estrogen Replacement Therapy. I think the term is used due to the therapy being estrogen only. HRT I think applies to estrogen and progesterone.

Have you had a dramatic increase in bone density since you've been on it? I'd like all the ammo I can gather when I see my PCP.

JJ, thanks for your input. I'm upped my calcium to 1500mg and will keep the D3 at 1300.

Have a blessed day!

Annie

Last edited by annie42; 03-13-2012 at 06:14 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to annie42:
JJ (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Annie, i've had good results with strontium. My lumbar spine score went from osteo to mid osteopenia and my hip went from the high end osteopenia to almost normal. I don't have the exact numbers handy but overall i had a 14% increase in density. During this time i've taken the basic supplements, calcium, D3 and magnesium, as well as a multivitamin for the over 50 crowd. I also get plenty of exercise. I love to walk,weight train and keep active. I'm no superman, but do all i can to get the needed exercise.

I did take actenol for a couple of months, but minor side effects prompted me to educate myself about other options, which is how i found strontium. I order it online. I feel that strontium is a safest way to build bone density. I do know few people who have had side effects, but most haven't had any problems.

Thanks for clearing up the ERT question, i know what HRT is but hadn't heard the other. If you have questions about Strontium just ask, i'll try to answer them. take care...phyllis

The following user gives a hug of support to phylwill1152:
JJ (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No problem Annie even if I wasn't much help. I think Phywill has given you some great input. I also am not sure about the ERT but can always look it up. I'm more familiar with the HRT. Let's hope you have a good talk with your Dr. and get some results that help. Not familiar at all with any of the meds. but as I said, I don't think I would want something that stayed in my body long just in case of a reaction.

All my best, and keep us posted....JJ....

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
(female)

Phyllis, I have hypertension and according to this article, I beleive my risk of blood clot (even though I take 81 mg aspirin daily), would increase. Do you have hypertension or any cardiac history? I've had several aunts die from stokes but they lived in a different time than we do today and didn't take drugs to control their PB.

14% increase is great!!!

Blessings,
Annie

Last edited by Administrator; 03-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Annie, i don't have hypertension, but my Mom died from complications of a minor stroke. There is a risk of blood clots from Strontium, but from what i've read the incidence of blood clots is relatively low. I feel the side effects from the current batch of bone drugs are more of a concern, but that my opinion. And like you said, medical care has come a long way. Do some research and then decide what to do. If an option doesn't feel right, look for another. I've learned that there is always a Plan B,C or D to try. Your gut feeling is usually the one that's right. take care, phyllis

Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
(female)

Thanks for your help Phyllis. I'm going to pick up my results today and will post them here.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
(female)

Okay, here are the results of the BMD scan: (Using a Hologic Discovery C-scanner, software version 12.1)

Lumbar spine: from L1 to L4 is .0838 grams per cm2. T score is -1.9. The Z score is 0.2.

Hip: Bone mineral density over neck of femur is 0.701 grams per cm2. T score is -1.3. Z score is - 0.4.

It also states, "Consider exclusion of secondary cause of bone loss."

I'm not sure what to make of this 'secondary cause.'

On second thought, this might be referring to the PPI I took for 2 years.

Last edited by annie42; 03-13-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Annie, did you see anything on your report that looked like this?

Normal, T-score of -1or above
Osteopenia, T-score lower than -1 and greater than -2.5
Osteoporosis, T-score of -2.5 or lower
Severe osteoporosis, T-score of -2.5 or lower, and presence of at least one fragility fracture

The t score measures your density along side that of a young adult with "normal" density. the z score is against women your own age. Not a fair way to measure, but it how they set it up.

If these are the values they used to compare your scores than your scores are good. If they used a different set i don't know. A secondary cause of bone loss is having a condition or taking long term meds that can cause bone density loss. Me for example, i have none of the risk factors but i do have Graves Disease (hyperthyroid). I believe my loss of density came from when i hyper and didn't know. Since i was treated (in late 2003) and and on total thyroid replacement my density has gone back to where is should be or close to. take care, phyllis

Reply Reply