It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

babyboomer6 HB User
Bone density test stopping my surgery~~help!!

Hi, I am 59 yrs. old and am in a terrible situation. In 2006 I had a spinal fusion done on L3/4 L4/5 vertabrae, to alliviate severe sciatic pain. Over the next four yrs. I developed what considered "adult onset scoliosis", as my upper spine collapsed into a S shape. I ended up bending over to the right and smashing my ribs into my hip bone, thus losing my posture. I had surgery in July of 2010 for this. I was fused from T12 to my pelvis. Then I had to go back a few months later to go up further to T4. Over the past two years I collapsed to a 45 degree forward pitch and bending over to the right.(saggital imbalance and flatback syndrome) I have had a new opinion since, and this surgeon said he won't do surgury until I am on Forteo at least 9 months. So anyway, I had a bone density test last Aug.30th, 2011, and it read 0.440g/cm2 as compared to the one done Mar.3rd, 2012, that read 0.433. This is six months. My surgeon said that I am still significantly osteoporotic and even show a small loss. However, the tests were done on different machines and could cause these reading differences to be wrong. He doesn't know and didn't order another one. I had one done in my home town, and one done where I go to see the surgeon 8 hrs. away. In his opinion, the screws would be at a high rate of failure to stay in the bone. But he also said he needs to get in there(my pelvis and lower spine) because I am deteriorating. The only place they can scan me is my right wrist. All the other places I have too much metal, except the hips, and I can't spread them correctly lying there, because of an impinged nerve caught on a screw that makes it too painful. So the right wrist is all they can do. It was broke a few yrs. ago.(if this is of any concern). The other wrist has metal in it. I did have another bone surgeon tell me that the osteoporosis would not be a concern for him, as he had the equipment to deal with it, if he did the surgery.(he lives 28 hrs. away.) These are the only readings I have of the dexa-scans. The surgeon that did my revision surgeries(2010) should have gone in through the front to rienforce my pelvic and lumbar vertabrae and to help hold me up. And I understand now, other procedures were also required. So I guess I was wondering what any of you think of the readings I put on here of the dexa-scan readings? And what you think of the Forteo strengthing my bones? I take Vit.D and Calcium. I think my osteo. was caused from stomach drugs taken for years. Anyway, I would appreciate any response at all. I am caught between a rock and a proverbial hard place. Warmly, babyboomer 6

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Bone density test stopping my surgery~~help!!

babyboomer, I was supposed to have a fusion as my spine is slipping. I already had a surgery a few years ago. However, I thankfully requested a scan because I had read the hardware won't hold. The results indicate severe osteoporosis. Surgeon said can't do surgery until corrected. Second surgeon I was required to go to said the same thing. I did one forteo injection and felt horrible. I won't do another. I am trying to find out why I have osteoporosis this severely I did just get the results of my brain scan and it showed something abnormal with my thyroid. All my blood work is normal, but something isn't right. The kidney dr told me a bone biopsy can tell if it is truly osteoporosis or a bone infection.My spine is curving to the left and it grates. so gross
In your shoes, I would be reluctant to have a fusion in your current situation. It is a sucky place to be in. My heart goes out to you

The following user gives a hug of support to Mel52:
babyboomer6 (03-30-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
vit. d and calcium.