It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

springerdog1 HB User
Question Forteo Vs. Reclast

Hi:
I am a 56 year old male with a few thousand health problems. Two years ago I had open heart surgery with a triple bypass, two new valves and a pacemaker. This was caused by a disease called Endocarditis. More recently the Endocrinologist found a benign tumor in my thyroid and discovered with a bone density scan that my number was -3.1. He wants to put me on Reclast. I also got a 2nd opinion and that Dr. wants to put me on Forteo. Like anyone else I am frightened of both drugs. Any suggestions?

Last edited by springerdog1; 03-26-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
(male)

osteomanmtd HB User
Re: Forteo Vs. Reclast

Your low bone density makes sense with these health isssues and an osteoporosis med is appropriate. Hopefully you have no history of fracture. Before I would invest in these expensive (and effective0 meds (reclast or forteo), I would ask your MD to consider starting with Fosamax to see how you react and respond. As a postmenopausal woman (I assume) make sure you are getting adequate dietary (and/or supplemental) calcium to reach 1500 mg over the day and at least 2000 IU of vitamin D3. Have your MD check your blood level of vitamin D3, if inadequate then wait to begin therapy until that factor is corrected. Make sure you walk at least 30 minutes a day and keep the faith your bones will repond.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
(male)

osteomanmtd HB User
Re: Forteo Vs. Reclast

Sorry, I misread the Male part ...which only changes the level of calcium from 1500mg per day to around 1000 to 1200mg per day...all else applies...forgive the too quick of a read.

Reply Reply