It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
(female)

pmwatts13 HB User
Fosamax Question

I have been on Fosamax for 8 years - everything I read says not to take it for more than 5 years as after that point it causes brittle bones. I broke a rib from sneezing and severely broke my tibia/fibula above the ankle in October, which required 3 hrs of surgery, bone grafts, pins/screws, plates. My Primary Care Doctor says to keep taking the Fosamax - don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User
Re: Fosamax Question

There are other treatments available. Given the toxicity of the bisphosphonates and your history of fractures, I would surely want another opinion on that.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

I agree wholeheartedly with turtlelady!!! I took Fosamax for 15 years. It did improve my bone density the first year (I have severe osteoporosis but have not broken a bone (yet!)) However, after I read the reports about Fosamax I stopped taking it - which was 3 years ago. I now take Calcium citrate with Vitamin D. Last October my bone density test showed that my levels have not changed since I first had improvement. I also have taken Evista for 15 years, which is supposed to help bone density but I don't know whether or not that has been proven.
If I were in your position, I would stop taking Fosamax if I felt that it was doing me more harm than good. My doctor also couldn't understand why I would want to stop taking it but later changed his mind. When I started taking it, it was a new drug, and they didn't know what long-term results would be with continuous use. Now they seem to know!
I have had friends who have chosen to try other bone-density drugs, but I will not do that. Good luck! Mabent

Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
(female)

Ngoc HB User

I had taken Fosamax for 12 years prior to breaking my right femur while walking in the garage. I spent two hours in surgery while they placed a rod inside my right femur. My doctor took me off of Fosamax and put me on Forteo injections. I have been taking the injections since Nov 2011. I'm back up and walking again after lots of physical therapy. I used a walker for a short period and now use a cane at times. I'm 74 years old and have always been very active so this was pretty depressing for me at first.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hello Ngoc - It's so sad that that happened to you after you had so diligently taken that fosamax pill for 12 years, thinking that it was making your bones stronger! You must be a strong and determined person. I'm glad for you that you were able to heal well and are now walking again. I have heard good things about Forteo but am still not going to try another osteoporosis drug for a while. I have read that drugs like Fosamax stay in your system for a few years after it is discontinued; but, again, I am hesitant to believe anything I read now!!! Mabent

Reply Reply