It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Arrow Does osteoporosis cause pain?

Just wondering? If so, what does the pain feel like?

Lately I've been finding it hard to keep my upper body upright, just feel like keeping in a fwd slouch as it is more comfortable that way. I can't get my posture the way it should be and when I try it feels slightly painful and tight

I've been diagnosed with both scoliosis and osteoporosis. I still haven't found a medication to treat the osteoporosis that isn't a bisphosphonate. The doctor is upset but I cannot take Actonel anymore. I need to get back on something as I see my bones getting thinner. I take calcium, magnesium and Vit D.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User
Re: Does osteoporosis cause pain?

Have you lost height? Have you had any compression fractures in your spine? I'm no expert, but it sounds like your back may be developing the beginning of a dowager's hump. What does your doctor say about pain and osteoporosis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks I checked my height and it is only about a 1/4 inch different than a few years ago. I've had no spinal fractures that I'm aware of. I do slump at my computer. I have caught myself and I am almost always slumped over in my seat. I am also on the computer a lot, so know that I have to sit straighter, but problem is I forget. I've even thought of ideas how to tie myself upright to the chair, lol.

I've had terrible posture all my life. The scoliosis could have contributed to it. I can stand fairly straight when I think of it. It's keeping it that way that is the problem.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
(female)

pianolady HB User

It might just be that you don't have the muscle you need to support your back. Doing some good strengthening exercises for your back might be just the thing you need to keep your posture more upright.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
(female)

patw27 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Does osteoporosis cause pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri View Post
Just wondering? If so, what does the pain feel like?

Lately I've been finding it hard to keep my upper body upright, just feel like keeping in a fwd slouch as it is more comfortable that way. I can't get my posture the way it should be and when I try it feels slightly painful and tight

I've been diagnosed with both scoliosis and osteoporosis. I still haven't found a medication to treat the osteoporosis that isn't a bisphosphonate. The doctor is upset but I cannot take Actonel anymore. I need to get back on something as I see my bones getting thinner. I take calcium, magnesium and Vit D.
Well hi Dorri,
What a coincidence, I think I just replied to you on the Alzheimers board!!!!!
I too have Osteoporosis and have had 3 spinal fractures so am on chewable calcium and bisphosphonate.I am due to have my 2 year scan soon so will see if I have lost any more height, I am only 5 foot to start with so hope I haven't or I will be disappearing.

I too like the computer and find myself slouching and then I sit up straight.I used to have a lot of back pain especially if I had to stand a lot but I now swim a mile once or twice a week and walk at least 1 mile every day ( mostly to the hospital and back ) and my back feels much better.

The swimming also helps me unwind before I visit Mam at the hospital.

Hope this helps

Speak again soon

Pat

Last edited by patw27; 04-19-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, it's funny, that we both are 5 feet tall, not to mention we both have osteoporosis and we both have mom's with Alzh/dementia. The other day I was thinking that I don't want to lose any height because how much smaller can I get? Then on the humerous side, if I do shrink more, than I will be a lot closer to the ground so if I fall it won't be as far to go so my chance of fracture will be less.

Thanks for the pep talk. I need to get up and move more. I need to walk more and hopefully will be able to build some density in my bones.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
(female)

patw27 HB User

Go girl go!!!!

Hope you feel better soon

Pat

Reply Reply