It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Chessie430 HB User
Extreme Joint Pain

I was on Actenol for a number of years when I developed back pain and had to start a pain management regime. After about 2 years, I woke with carpal tunnel symptoms and an increasing tendonitis in my left elbow. I had lifted free weights for 18 years and thought the back pain may be related to that - or a lightning strike I received when I was a Sophmore in college. In any event, since I am (as my doctor says " a skinny white woman", he ordered a dexa scan. It showed I had osteopenia, the onset of osteoporosis. I had just turned 50! When I was 52, my scan showed osteoporosis!

About 2 years ago my pain managment doctor gave me injections in both wrists 3 times and the elbow 3 injections. I had NO relief WHATSOEVER!! I had started Ayurveda and was seeing a doctor of Aurveda practice. No results! I "googled" extreme joint pain and up popped Actenol. I told my doctor I was stopping it and that I was practicing yoga now. within 2 weeks the extreme pain stopped and within 2 months I was pain free in my joints.

To get to the point - my ob/gyn ordered a dexascan because I was off the actenol - even though it had been only one year. The result - back to osteopenia!!!! I practice yoga at least 5 times a week and try to get to the gym for free weights in between. Yoga does build back your bone and I would rather do this than take Actenol and not have a life! It should be banned by the FDA!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User
Re: Extreme Joint Pain

The Actonel would still be in your system and could have contibuted to the return to osteopenia, no? I think it stays in your body for 10 years after you have stopped taking it.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Re: Extreme Joint Pain

I was on actonel for aprox 3 years and found I had severe joint pain as well. The pain was severe but also migratory, traveling from one joint to another. My doctor refused to listen or connect that it could have been from the bone medication he put me on. Then I called the actonel people and was told that actonel wasn't for everyone and that my pain could be the result of the actonel. When I told my doctor this, again he refused to listen and said it's not from the actonel. I told him I was going off of it. He told me to take calcium and Vit D, but still isn't happy with me to this day because I did go off of it. He still claims my joint pain wasn't from the actonel.

Reply Reply