It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User
Smile Hi Phyl and all/ Mag.and Calcium

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to these boards. I also chat on another board and havejust been plain busy, plus the pain of FM along with osteoporosis.

Nothing really new here for me except I have been trying to figure out lately (since I have heard so much both ways) about when to take my magnesium - along with my calcium, at the same time, or afterwards. For some time I had heard they should be taken separately a few hours apart, and I wondered why this was since there are many products that have them both together.

I was taking the powdered Magnesium for awhile but that gave me so much gas. So now am trying Mag. Oxide till I get rid of that and then ordered the Mag. Citrate caplets. I am going to have to crush those babies as they make me choke. Any ideas for taking them when I crush, put in food might be better than trying to drink it.Do you all take the Mag. at the same time as the Calcium (that is what I have been doing lately). There are so many supps. that have them both together.

In case you do not remember, my last dexascan showed no gain or loss bone density. Unfortunatly, I am going to have to wait another 2 years almost to see if there are any gains. I also take strontium, Vits K,and boron. Any other suggestions?

Have any of you been taking the NOW vitamins? I've heard that some are and they have most of the stuff in there instead of having to take many different pills. Have to also check on those prices. I've also been checking on the Strontium prices. The cost ot the Dr.'s Best vs other brands. I did find some very good prices even on the Dr. Best which I am taking now. Has anyone found any differences besides the prices? in the Stontiums being sold? I know the Dr's Best is knon to be pretty good and I have also found it much cheaper than where I am getting it now, both on line.Well, that is enough questions for now.

Hope to hear from Phyl and any of you who are fighting this osteoporosis together.

Huz to you all,
Granni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Hi Phyl and all/ Mag.and Calcium

HI Granni, good to hear from you. the calcium/magnesium question has been around for a long time., but like you i figure if they put it together with calcium and D its ok to take at the same time in supplement form. I take one of each together everyday.

I've heard about NOW supplements but haven't tried any of them. I'm not too picky about brands or the big price tags some of them come with. I stick the the basic supplements and seem to be doing ok with them. I kinda feel that if something is hyped too much its either really good or someone is trying to convince you that it is. I don't know how much Vitamin D3 you are taking but you may want to add extra of that along with magnesium. take care, phyllis

Old 04-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User
Re: Hi Phyl and all/ Mag.and Calcium

Hi Phyl,

Thanks for you answer . I know you did mention some time ago what brand of Strontium you are taking but I have forgotten. The only thing I have heard is that Dr;s Best is one of the better ones, not that any of the others are bad or anything. Did find Dr's Best cheaper though and also a large bottle with more caps for a very good price at Vitracost. It is much cheaper than where I get it now, even with the Smart Savings of the autoship. I am taking a pretty good amout of D3. I will have to check the exact amount. I take the single pill in the morning and two other Ca. caplets a day that also has extra D3 in it also. How much D3 do you take? I know the Ca.Mag ration is about 2:1

Actually I decided that I wanted to just to check in with you and others on this board since I hadn't checked in in some time . Hope you are doing well. Nothing that much new here except one daughter came to visit about amonth ago unexpectedly from NC with her family. That was a nice surprise. Unfortunatly I will not be abole to take another dexa scan for almost 2 years so whose to know if things are going well. The only thing was the last one showed no improvement or decline.

TTY soon again ! Hope all is well with you.

Hugz,'Granni

Reply Reply