It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

mgarbo HB User
53 with osteoporosis

im 53 yrs old and had a bone density test done my score came out as -4.0. my dr wants me to either try the once a year iv or the shot u give yourself everyday for two years. i dont konw what to do. is there anyone out there around my age going throw this? also i have bone diease and the osteo is making that worse so i need some help with all of this.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User
Re: 53 with osteoporosis

What is the bone disease that you have? Have you had any bone fractures? This board is not very active, but read through the Forteo and Reclast threads to see if you can find some help there. I took actonel for around 6 years and then stopped. My bone density scores remained stable while on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tulip21 For This Useful Post:
mgarbo (05-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
(female)

mgarbo HB User

i have degeneralive bone disease. had a spinal fusion a yr and a half ago. now i have two more herniated disc. and alot of pain. no fractures thank God dont need that with all this going on.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

HarmonyGal HB User

Hi;
I'm 52 and was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis. Doctors put me on Actenol, but I am allergic to the fillers they use in pills; it made me sick for several days. Ditto for the supplements they want you to take. (I've not taken them for a week and feel ten times better). I had food allergies and malabsorption for years, undiagnosed.
After doing some reading, I've decided to stick with my regular diet, but added in juicing, home made bone broths, and probiotics. Vegetable juicing provides a lot of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, the broth is supposed to be a rich source of calcium and B vitamins, and the probiotics have lots of healthy bacteria in them, which help your digestive system. Like you, I'm new at this; I don't know if it will help with the osteoporosis, but it seems a healthy way to build myself back up. I'll take the next dose of Actenol, when I have a few days off, but I'm sure I'll get sick from it.
My mother was diagnosed with this in her early sixties, and she basically gave up and parked herself in front of the TV for ten years, until she passed away. That's not my plan! This is devastating news, and it'll take time to get used to it, but I know some people who are living very active and productive lives in spite of this disease. Probably the most important thing is to find a support group; no one can know what you're going through unless they've already been there. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to HarmonyGal For This Useful Post:
mgarbo (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

mgarbo HB User

well with my drs ive decided to do the reclase iv. not thrilled about it but cant tolerate the pres. drugs i get to sick from them. im waiting for my insurance company to approve this. ive been told the side affects from the iv are flu like and aching bones. i have alot of back problems and am in pain all the time so not thrilled about being in more pain then i have already. however the osteo is the worst in my spine. ive already had a spinal fusion and my surgeon whaats me to have more spine surgery. not going to do that just yet.im so upset about all of this. my mom also has osteo she is 76 and has had it since her early 60s. right now she has 2 spine faractures. thats what im trying to avoid.

The following user gives a hug of support to mgarbo:
HarmonyGal (06-09-2012)
Reply Reply