It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

bonechatter HB User
Forteo

Hello
Could use some support regarding Forteo.
I read possible nausea and vomiting as side effects which greatly concern me.
I read light headedness which greatly concerns me. Reading previous posts, the suggestion is doing the injection before bed. I wouldn't like waiting to sleep or waking up feeling sick to my stomach. Can I take OTC to stop the nausea?
I have 2 weeks before my next appointment where I will learn how to inject.
I would like to find a way out of taking Forteo, but it doesn't seem like a win situation either way unless I can tolerate the Forteo and build bone.

Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to bonechatter:
Rosegarden (05-21-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User
Re: Forteo

I used Forteo for the full two years and had a totally positive experience. No side effects whatsoever and really impressive bone growth (following massive fusion surgery - it was life-saving). The injection itself is virtually painless and doesn't take much getting used to.
No reason to anticipate side effects. From my perspective, it would have been worthwhile even had there been. Good luck! Carol

The Following User Says Thank You to turtlelady For This Useful Post:
bonechatter (05-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

bonechatter HB User

Carol
Do you mind telling me what your plan was after the two years on Forteo?
I am fracture free with low BMD in -3 range. I would have liked to keep Forteo in my back pocket when I am in my 70's or older instead of in my 60's.
I'm like most people. I don't want to make a decision that will negatively affect the quality of my life.
Thank you for your time.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
(female)

There are, mercifully, options. I will not do bisphosphonates for a number of reasons.
There is a recently introduced monoclonal antibody based drug, Prolia, which has a similar mechanism to the bisphosphonates, with fewer side effects reported. I, personally, have opted for Strontium citrate to maintain my gains and have been pleased with the results. If you have not already - read "the Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sanson, a real eye-opener with all kinds of valuable information.
Good luck,
carol

Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
(female)

bonechatter HB User

I have read the book - thanks. Once you gained BMD with Forteo, you went to strontium citrate. And you have maintained improvement? I also want to stay off the drugs, but I would hate to gain BMD from Forteo and then lose it all. I'm getting a second opinion before I start all of this.
Thank you.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
(female)

Rosegarden HB User

I felt very nervous about Forteo as you are feeling too, but I had absolutely no problem with the injections or any side effects at all. I injected each morning, did not want to do at bedtime. I traveled with it too. Try the Forteo, and then worry about the side effects if you have them. Worrying in advance will do you no good. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rosegarden For This Useful Post:
bonechatter (05-23-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
(female)

Hi bonechatter. I have been on the strontium for a few years since finishing Forteo and have no way of quantifying my improvement or retention as I am too full of titanium to get an accurate scan these days. All I know is I have taken a few nasty falls with no damage (I'm a clutz!) and when undergoing bone surgery last year (femur) the surgeon said my bone looked healthy and solid (good enough for me!). Second opinions from conventional physicians will probably steer you towards the bisphosphonates. That is how they are indoctrinated. European doctors are more inclined to prescribe Strontium ranelate which is pretty close in activity to the citrate form we use. Again, good luck!
Carol

The Following User Says Thank You to turtlelady For This Useful Post:
bonechatter (05-23-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
(female)

TaoZen108 HB User

I think it is very important to ask the question when they introduce you to it: how many people have died from bone cancer, after injecting forteo?
there is a slight regret that I did not inject forteo because now my osteoporosis is horridly bad.
so you have to wager the risk against the risk of breaking one bone after an other ( which is happening to me).

you know it is very expensive, too and insurances don't pay?
anyway it is suppose to help osteoporosis.
the nausea is no big deal. I heard you just get "maybe" a moment of light headedness.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
(female)

TaoZen108 HB User
strotium citrate?
I only know strotium to bea raioactive isotope which causes bone cancer.
I got to research strontium citrate. thanks for the info.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
(female)

The warning on Forteo is from the cancers induced in rats given extremely large doses of the stuff. The estimated occurrence in humans is something like 1 in 250,000. I don't think in reality it has even been that frequent. It was a life-saver for me. My insurance picked up the tab, no problem. Strontium ranelate is a very effective prescreption med manufactured in France and not available in North America. Strontium citrate seems to have similar effect and is sold here as a supplement. It is readily available online if not in your local health food store. Neither is related to the radioactive isotope. Many of us would recommend the stuff. Good luck!
carol

Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
(female)

TaoZen108 HB User

it is strange I posted 2 x a reply here,nothing offensive in the least, and it isn't here.
I have 5 e-mail, and I cannot find the responses.
this website is so frustrating.

Reply Reply