It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

jenyah123 HB User
Anyone on Calcitonin?

Hi

I have breast cancer and the medication I've been on (aromasin) for the past 5 years, stops me from producing estrogen, and has caused osteoporosis. I refused bisphosphonates, but take nasal calcitonin. So far, my bone density has continued to drop. Does anyone take calcitonin with better results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Anyone on Calcitonin?

I took it for two years. It didn't work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
(female)

jenyah123 HB User

Sounds like I may be wasting my money.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
(female)

shewolf75 HB Usershewolf75 HB User

Bisphosphonates ruined my stomach, and I can't take a lot of meds, but have been on Calcitonin for at least two years. I don't know if it's helped or not, but I don't think the osteoporosis has worsened.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
(female)

jenyah123 HB User

Shewolf - How often do you get a bone mineral density scan?

Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
(female)

My first reply got lost in cyberspace. Besides Actonel, which as I said ruined my stomach, I took Forteo for the allowed time without side effects. But I can't take drugs like Evista, don't do well on steroids, and, due to my age (80) I told my rheum unless he considers it absolutely necessary, I don't want another bone scan. I haven't had any fractures (speaking with crossed fingers), and I see him every month and am doing fine, especially considering I have osteoarthritis and lupus in addition to the osteoporosis. Good luck to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to shewolf75:
jenyah123 (06-06-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to shewolf75 For This Useful Post:
jenyah123 (06-06-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
(female)

pdpal HB User

My doctor just prescribed Calcitonin for me also and I was wondering how well it works since I can not tolerate Boniva and would not take any of those any more. I had 5 spine fractures last year and now a hip fracture. My bone density results came back today and they said it was worse than the last one, 2 years ago. I have been on Strontium for about 3 years now and guess that is not working very well either. My bones are a mess and getting worse and I am really getting scared that I may end up in a wheel chair. Last year I finally found a doctor to do Kyphoplasty on 3 vertebrae since I was in so much pain while trying to take care of my Mother who I have Hospice for now, and still had to go to work besides. I need to find something that will help me to take care of her, get to work and be able to get out to get some groceries. I just don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
(female)

So sorry to hear of your troubles. I wish I could suggest something, and that I knew for sure how well Calcitonin works, but it probably helps some and not others like so many meds. Pain killers probably help, but they're dangerous for some folks and also make some folks ill (like me). I am praying for you, and hope the Calcitonin will help you. It's a meds I've had no side effects from as I did with Actonel and Cymbalta, and I also can't take steroids, but I am not in too much pain. I surely hope the Calcitonin will help you.

The following user gives a hug of support to shewolf75:
pdpal (06-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to shewolf75 For This Useful Post:
pdpal (06-28-2012)
Reply Reply