It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

pianolady HB User
Strontium

I know there has been a lot of interest in Strontium on this board, and I thought I would share some information I found this morning published on the National Institutes of Health website. You can never be TOO informed!

"Strontium is another nutritional supplement that should be questioned as a bone health product. Strontium is not an essential nutrient and it displaces calcium in bone. Strontium has gained attention for bone mineralization in part because it increases bone density as measured by x-ray tests and DXA Scan. However, this effect is partly caused by the strontium itself because strontium is a heavier element than calcium. Strontium is considered an alkaline earth metal with an atomic weight of 87.63. That makes it much heavier than calcium and it replaces natural calcium in bone. This gives the DXA scan a denser appearance because strontium absorbs the x-rays. The x-ray absorbing properties of strontium gave rise to its use in early color television tubes so that x-rays would be absorbed by the strontium and prevent irradiation of viewers. Strontium ranelate in doses of 2 gm/day have been used for the treatment of osteoporosis in several countries, but the United States Food and Drug Administration has not approved the use of strontium ranelate in the United States. Oral intake of 2 gm/day of strontium ranelate have improved bone strength and reduced fracture rates in women with osteoporosis, but there are reports of increased risks of venous blood clots and memory loss. Strontium also accumulates in the body and remains there long term. Therefore, strontium may need more evaluation before it becomes a routine treatment of osteoporosis."

Last edited by pianolady; 05-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User
Re: Strontium

Thanks for posting this! I am so utterly confused by all these conflicting reports on these osteo drugs and have briefly considered trying Strontium, but feel there are no good longterm studies of any of these osteo medications. I also worry that Strontium gives fake bone density readings, and increases brittleness. I wish that HRT did not get such a bad rap. I would've loved to stay on that.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I just went to UCLA and saw an endocrinologist there. I told her I was using stronium for the last few months. She too said the problem is it makes the DEXA scan useless for the reasons stated below on the other post. She then blew me away by telling me to not take calcium in pill form as the latest study states it can cause heart attacks so to eat foods high in calcium

Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
(female)

aginghippie HB User

just signed up and this is my first post. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis a few months ago and have been dragging my feet from DEXA scan to internist to rheumtologist because I knew they'd want me to take meds and I really don't like the idea. Started doing lots of research and was excited about strontium. have been taking for a few weeks, no adverse reactions, and now (on third follow up visit) the doc tells me that the bone that strontium helps to build is "bad" bone and that the bisphophonates help to build "good" bone. I've been trying to find corroborating research to back up. Everything bad she said about strontium seemed to be exactly what I'd heard about Fosamax.

Anyone have any background on this?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

I've read those with good and those with bad to say. If one takes Stronium one is to take it separately from Calcium supplements. I just saw a Naturalist doctor who did strongly advise me to take Stronium and separately (at another time) a Calcium bone building formula.

I have severe Osteoporosis with T scores around -3.5 to -4.1. I already went through 2 yrs of Forteo and that did nothing. I've been taking Actonel off and on. Now I'm told to try Evista also.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
(female)

aginghippie HB User

Hi Mel 52, I just left my family practiioner that I'd been with at UCLA for over 20 years, in part because she'd never suggested a bone density test -- even when I presented her with a heel test about 6 years ago showing risk for osteoporosis. There were other reasons, too. This was kind of the topper. I'm 64.

Anyway, I know it's best to do calcium through food, but I also know that I don't always get enough. Even before studies came out, taking calcium supplements didn't make sense to me so I just didn't. But now with the diagnosis I started. With all the research I've been doing I ran across plant-based calcium supplements with not only Vitamin D, but also Magnesium, Vitamin K2, boron, zinc, silica, and other traces elements for bone support. There are several brands. I'm doing one with the lowest daily Vitamin D, as I can't tolerate high doses. I'm feeling okay about taking those. Even switched my 90 year old mother to them.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

nmwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aginghippie View Post
just signed up and this is my first post. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis a few months ago and have been dragging my feet from DEXA scan to internist to rheumtologist because I knew they'd want me to take meds and I really don't like the idea. Started doing lots of research and was excited about strontium. have been taking for a few weeks, no adverse reactions, and now (on third follow up visit) the doc tells me that the bone that strontium helps to build is "bad" bone and that the bisphophonates help to build "good" bone. I've been trying to find corroborating research to back up. Everything bad she said about strontium seemed to be exactly what I'd heard about Fosamax.

Anyone have any background on this?
I am taking Strontium, without a doctor's supervision. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

Based on what I've read, the bisphophonates do not build bone; they do not build good bone or bad bone. They simply don't build bone at all; what they do is prevent further bone loss.

My understanding (and this is very basic as my background is not medical) is that old bone sloughs off and is replaced by new bone. As we get older, especially for women, we tend to lose bone more rapidly than we are able to replace it. The bisphophonates slow down that bone loss, so that you hold onto the old bone that you have, but the drugs appear to interrupt the bone replacement mechanism.

My problem, which is why I went on Strontium and and I am not recommending anyone follow what I am doing, is that I don't think it's a good idea to interrupt the replacing of bone. I don't know the quality of my bones, so preventing that sloughing off and replacing, when the bones I have my sub-par, seems to me to be running the risk of hanging on to "bad" bone that may very well be brittle. I have no way of knowing.

So what I have done -- and again I am not recommending anyone else follow suit -- is supplement with Strontium, Vitamin K, and calcium. I had already been supplementing Vitamin D.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

Mainstream medicine is telling us that holding on to old bone is better than letting it go even though that means that the rebuilding of new bone is thwarted. Since it's all such a slow process it's very hard to know what is really happening to us.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

I read a recent article on strontium that said it causes false readings even if you stop taking it several weeks prior to the X-ray.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

I have been taking strontium for going on 8 years and have seen gains with each DEXA. The results can be overestimated, but even if i take half away its still been a steady improvement in density. Even if the numbers aren't accurate the reduction in fracture rate makes up for the difference and preventing fractures is the goal.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User

Have you lost any height while on strontium? This is for Phyllwill.

Last edited by Tulip21; 04-04-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
I have been taking strontium for going on 8 years and have seen gains with each DEXA. The results can be overestimated, but even if i take half away its still been a steady improvement in density. Even if the numbers aren't accurate the reduction in fracture rate makes up for the difference and preventing fractures is the goal.
Can you tell me what brand you take. Maybe I will give it another try.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi, i have lost some height,not quite 1/2", but i believe that is due to a small curve in my lower spine, which i have been told can happen as we age.

I've been taking the vitacost brand since i started and have no negative side effects at all.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
(female)

Canna HB User

Glad to hear you are doing so well Phylwill... long time since I posted on here. I am still on strontium and had increase as well and most important of all... no fractures. Anyone on here take mk4 seems a lot of people on it on another OP board... Cheers!

Reply Reply