It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

Nonnaluna HB User
fosamax alternatives?

Hi. My osteoporosis has worsened in the past three years. So far I've been refusing Fosamax. The side effects scare me as I already have gut issues.
Are there other ways to rebuild bone without those risks?
What about Calcitonin? Has anyone had good results from this?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: fosamax alternatives?

Have you tried strength training? Walking alone might not cut it, you need real weight-bearing exercise to build bone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: fosamax alternatives?

HI Nonnaluna, welcome to the board. I've never tried calciton so i can't help there, but i have been taking Strontium citrate for over 5 years and have seen gains with each DEXA. There is plenty of info about it online if you'd want to read more about it. I've had no side effects from it.

Exercise is important in bone health and, like Jane said, walking alone may not be enough. Weight training, impact activities and just keeping in motion are all good for the bones and the rest of you too. Balance is important too since it will help you from falling. take care, phyllis

Reply Reply

Tags
alternative treatment