It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

percan HB User
Calcium Advisory

I assume everyone on this board is aware of the studies that came out recently stating that calcium supplements can increase one's risk of heart attack. I just don't seem to be able to get enough calcium from food alone, and still maintain my weight. I was wondering....I assume things like calcium fortified orange juice are not good either, as basically they just add a calcium supplement into the juice? This is all just so frustrating.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Calcium Advisory

It is frustrating. I didn't know about the study until I saw an endocrinologist at UCLA. SHe told me to get it from food too not only because it reduces the chance of a heart attack but also because obtaining calcium from food absorbs it better and to make sure I take vitamin D. So I stopped taking calcium pills 4 times a day. I bet now my cholestrol is climbing again from eating the dairy products.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
It is frustrating. I didn't know about the study until I saw an endocrinologist at UCLA. SHe told me to get it from food too not only because it reduces the chance of a heart attack but also because obtaining calcium from food absorbs it better and to make sure I take vitamin D. So I stopped taking calcium pills 4 times a day. I bet now my cholestrol is climbing again from eating the dairy products.
I have high cholesterol so I rely on low-fat yogurt as well as calcium-fortified orange juice and cereal. However, I'm not going to stop taking 3 calcium citrate tablets per day since I can't get enough from food alone.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
(female)

percan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano0105 View Post
I have high cholesterol so I rely on low-fat yogurt as well as calcium-fortified orange juice and cereal. However, I'm not going to stop taking 3 calcium citrate tablets per day since I can't get enough from food alone.
Yeah, I've been doing the low-fat yogurt (even before this, always love yogurt) and I had thought that the calcium-fortified OJ was okay, but now I'm not so sure about that since it's not "natural" calcium, the ingredients say "calcium carbonate" so I assume that's basically just like adding a supplement to the OJ. I did read one analysis of the study (not sure whether this is true or not, so take it for what you will) but it explained that one of the problems with supplements is the body gets all this calcium at once and doesn't know what to do with it, so it forms plaque. But what about if you space out the supplements? I've always taken 2 in the morning, one in the afternoon, and 2 in the evening.

In any case, there is just no way I could get as much calcium as I'm supposed to by food alone. So I've just decided to scale back on the supplements, and increase the food a bit. I'm hoping it balances out.

Reply Reply