It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
results of UCLA visit

I had a DEXA scan done yesterday as the previous 3 were done at different places. The endocrinologist wanted consistancy to see what the t scores are really doing. I am hoping for a miracle and that my scores aren't really in the -3's. She wants me to have the Reclast. I am very fearful. Actonal put me in the ER after 4 months. I used Calcitonin for a few years without problems other than a nose bleed now and then, but she said no more as the scores still declined. I did 1 shot of Forteo and thought I was dying of the flu. The dr felt the Prolea was still too new to use. (I wouldn't use it anyway) so now she wants me to use the Reclast. It has the same risks of the other drugs, leg break and jaw necrosis) and will probably give me the symptoms of the flu for 3-4 days but she said it is worth it to get some protection as I am doing nothing now. She said using the Seritonin isn't good because being a heavy metal it affects the outcome of a dexa scan and makes the bones look denser when they aren't.
This totally sucks. At the same time I don't want to be living in fear constantly that I am going to break my spine or hip. I have shrunk 1 1/2 inches and the last endo (prior to UCLA) said I will hunch over if I don't do something.
I will look up your comments on Reclast.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
Re: results of UCLA visit

Don't let the doctors frighten you. I have scores in the -3's and cannot tolerate any of the drugs. I will not take Reclast either for fear of the side effects. You will only develop a hump if you break bones in your spine in a certain way. I've lived with this condition for more than 10 years and haven't broken anything yet. I just take calcium, vitamin D, and exercise as much as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: results of UCLA visit

thanks. I am scared of the drugs. I would rather use the forteo shots instead of the reclast. At least the forteo doesn't stay in your system

Reply Reply