It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
(female)

momof2rugrats HB Usermomof2rugrats HB User
New Here

Hello!Just searching around, trying to figure all of this out. I just turned 35 this month. I have been having back & hip pain for years. I've been Dr. hopping. Trying to find one that will take me serious. And not blame it on depression. They either wouldn't think to do an xray or when I asked they didn't feel it was necessary. So, I've gone all this time not knowing an answer, and being in pain My last Dr. I asked him if we could do xrays. He said he felt it wasn't necessary. And, he said just take a pain med & have to deal with it I tried a local Dr. in my town. And, she got all info from my last Dr. & said she thought the last Dr. did everything he knew how. I didn't disagree with that, because he did ALOT of blood work! But, told her he refused to do an xray?She said it was time for that, and if that didn't show anything. She would order an MRI.

I called the office after waiting almost 2wks to hear something. They said confirmed osteoporosis. She set an appt up for me to have a bone density test done on the 9th to see the severity. And, then I guess we will go from there?

Can anyone help me out as to what can be done for this?I'm just tired of hurting I feel like I'm 100 yrs old. I can't even paint my own toe nails without getting stiff and having to walk hunched over til the feeling comes back into my back, hips & legs???My back hurts every day, some days worse than others. This summer has been more rough than any others. I haven't felt good, and so I haven't done much. I have gained 10lbs. And I know that doesn't help. I started eating better yesterday & drinking more water. The kids & I are going on bike rides and walks. Alternating days of course, cause I would have to sit on the couch the rest of the day if I did both!
Some days I feel sick. I run a fever, and I feel like I have the flu. I'm super achey

Thanks for any info!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: New Here

Welcome to the board! It sounds to me like there is more going on than osteoporosis. Yes, treatment is available for that which can improve the bone density and prevent fractures. But osteoporosis doesn't cause fever, flu-like symptoms or fatigue to the extent a 35 y.o. cannot take a walk and do a bike ride both in a day. I would highly recommend you see a rheumatologist to be checked for inflammatory arthritis conditions that can cause pain, stiffness, fever, fatigue, and a host of other symptoms in young women (RA, Lupus are the two main ones). I would also encourage you to get the MRI to check the condition of the discs in your back. Osteoporosis doesn't usually cause symptoms until it has caused fractures. It is a "silent" disease in that respect. Your new Dr. sounds more willing to pursue finding some answers and help for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
momof2rugrats (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
(female)

That's really what I thought too. But, I went to a Dr. before the one I'm going to now. He was the one that did all the blood work last year. Everything came back fine he says. When I went in with all my complaints he thought I had lupus or rheumatoid arthritis..So, really I don't no what to think anymore.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

WHen you have any labs or scans done it is always a good idea to get copies to have at home. You need to know how severe it is. Usually the doctor will send you to an endocrinologist to make sure nothing else is going on, like a parathyroid, calcium, vitamin D problem for example. A rheumotologist will do an ANA and other tests for different autoimmune diseases. It would be good to have your previous tests to take with you. However, the ANA can still be negative even if you have lupus or whatever.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

My previous Dr. says that a rheumatologist wouldn't even consider taking me as a patient. With all my lab work being fine?ARGH!It's so frustrating. But, hopefully the new Dr. will have something different in mind I didn't know that about lupus. And now that my current Dr. has the copies. I will see if I can get copies from them. The other office didn't offer them. My current Dr. automatically handed my labs to me, I didn't have to ask
So, I go at 1 today. It's been a rough few days. Some days are better than others. But, the last few days I have had really bad back pain. And exremely tired. But, I have been overly busy & doing to much. Today & tomorrow, should be good days. I don't have lots going on!
Thanks so much for the info!

Reply Reply