It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

RVERS HB User
Question Strontium vs calcium absorption

Recently, I have become conscious of a lot of literature recommending
strontium citrate. There is a caution to take it APART by several hours,
from calcium/magnesium.

However, today I came across a product put out by Nutricology--
Strontium Osteo Complex, which includes all of those minerals. I have posted
a question to that company, but have received no reply as yet. One citation for separating strontiium dates 2002, by a Dr. JY Reginster.

If anyone knows of more recent reserach which would make it feasible to
take them together, I would love to know about it.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Strontium vs calcium absorption

HI and welcome to the board . I have been taking OTC strontium citrate for for 7 years and have always taken calcium, magnesium and other supplements in the morning and the SC at bedtime. From what I've read its necessary to separate them so each can be properly absorbed. I've seen products that contain both plus more, but knowing they can interfere with each other I've stayed away from those. It would be easier if it was an all in one, but i like knowing i'm getting what i need from both by taking them at different times.

When a company puts out their own studies it is in their best interest to make it sound good. They are trying to sell something and the better they can promote it the better it is for them. I'm not saying its not a good product, but its not one i would choose to take. I know of no unbiased studies that say they can be taken together.

Are you currently taking SC or just learning about it as an option? If you have other questions please ask. take care, phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
(female)

RVERS HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. Just wishful thinking. I'd so much rather the combination supplements worked. I'm taking Strontium Citrate in the AM, and calc/mag
at noon and dinner, which I find something of a nuisance. I had to go off Fosamax several years ago, because I developed esophageal ulcers; from then on I knew I had to do this nutritionally, adding K-2, Boron, and of course Vitamin D3.

My last DEXA was good--I had actually improved, but I'm due for another in January,
and I've only recently started on the strontium.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi, it is hard fitting all the supplements into your day but i may be able to help. I take a 1000 mg. once a day calcium tablet from twinlabs and one 500mg. magnesium, both at the same time. That would help by only having to take them once a day. I also that a multivitamin, 1000 mg. D3 and a once a day fish oil cap all at the same time.

I ask a pharmacist about the once a day calcium and the way she explained it to me was that the goal with calcium is it keep it balanced in your body...too little and its taken from your bones, too much and the excess is peed out. I've been taking once a day CA for several years and always have good CA levels when labs are done.

Good luck with the SC, i've seen improvements with each Dexa i've had. take care, phyllis

Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
(female)

RVERS HB User

Phyllis, I do appreciate your knowledge. I have always accepted at face value something I've read in more than one place, that we can't absorb more than 500 mg of calcium at one time; hence my dividing it into two doses. But if you are getting good DEXA's with a single calcium/mag dose, maybe I can try that. Thanks for your input.
Rose

Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Rose, nice to meet you. I always thought you needed to take smaller doses of CA to,the once a day ones are probably formulated to dissolve slower in your body so its more a steady dose than a big one all at once. I don't know if taking 2 regular CA supplements would work the same way. It was when i first found them that i ask the pharmacist about the one big dose and was told what i already told you. There is another one called EZCal 1000, but i can't always find them. I've also found that the extra magnesium has really been helpful, i sleep better and fewer muscle aches. After taking SC for a while i noticed my hips didn't ache anymore, so if you have any achy joints see if they get better with time. Take care, phyllis

Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
(female)

RVERS HB User

Lately I've taken to getting my calcium citrate and magnesium citrate in powder form
which I put in a drink, usually a little lemon juice and stevia. I take a lot of supplements, and these days they don't fit in the holder I bought for them. I buy my
magnesium for Kirkland, because I prefer my calcium:magnesium 1:1, onthe theory that
I don't eat enough of the foods that supply calcium and just about everybody in the US
is deficient in magnesium. I'll have alook for the EZCal. Thanks. Rose

Old 09-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
(female)

chinabelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVERSAGGI View Post
Phyllis, I do appreciate your knowledge. I have always accepted at face value something I've read in more than one place, that we can't absorb more than 500 mg of calcium at one time; hence my dividing it into two doses. But if you are getting good DEXA's with a single calcium/mag dose, maybe I can try that. Thanks for your input.
Rose
I agree best to take calcium in divide does and don't over do it as it can create calcifications in your blood which can stick to the blood vessel walls! Calcium is best taken with food and also with Magnesium in a 2 to 1 ration ( calcium to mag) Mag is very hard to get absorbed though and I have read that Magnesium oil is the best to use. It is applied on the skin but warning it stings a little. ( Ancient minerals or the one by Swanson are good brands. Mag is very often deficient in lood and really good doe you. Good idea to get mineral levels in blood tested.
On another note, the Strontium should be taken on an empty stomach and definitely not to be taken in combination with calcium. It is a pain I agree. I have also read that they are doing studies on developing Strontium as a prescription drug in very high levels. Teh high levels of Strontium have been associated with clot formation! Yikes!! This scares me too! I imagine taking strontium in low doses is okay. Try to google the research on ST made by pharm companies and see what you come up with. Don't want to be a Debbie Downer but it behooves us to be wary of all possible side effects when it comes to supplements and rugs. I think the old adage" everything in moderation" is really good advice!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
(female)

chinabelle HB User

I just read that the side effects associated with taking Strontium have been reported with taking Strontium Ranelate NOT the Strontium salts. ( like the citrate)

here is what has been written:

Adverse Side-effects Are Seen ONLY with Strontium Ranelate – Natural Strontium Salts, Like Strontium Citrate are Safe

In contrast, following on the heels of data collected in a number of other studies,[4], [5] the most recent research — a three year study conducted in France whose results were published in October 2011[6] — confirms that the patented unnatural form of strontium, strontium ranelate has a number of potential side-effects, at least two of which are very serious: an increased risk for venous thromboembolism (VTE, deep vein blood clots) and DRESS syndrome.

Still I think it behooves all to take the ST in lower doses and not at the same time as taking Cal.

Magnesium oil is by far the best way to absorb magnesium vs. oral forms.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
(female)

RVERS HB User

Thanks--My routine now, which works pretty well, is strontium in the morning before
breakfast, calcium/mag at lunch and dinner. The strontium ranelate that is used
in Europe and on which much of the research was done is the form that seems to have
the bad effects. I don't think you can even get it in the US. Not that many doctors
have heard about strontium anyway. I'm having a DEXA in January,and then I'll be
able to tell if my routine is working. Four years ago I had to stop Fosamax (just as well,
with what I'm hearing now) because of esophageal erosion. I decided then that I had
to do it all nutritionally. So my routine of calc/mag, boron, K-2 and of course D3
seemed to be working, because my last DEXA showed improvement over the last one.

Now I plan to immerse myself in the literature which relates to acid-alkaline balance.
There is a LOT of disagreement here. Some say it's a scam, others say it has a definite
relationship to bone loss. I'd like to get to the bottom of it.
Rose in NJ

Old 09-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
(female)

chinabelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVERSAGGI View Post
Thanks--My routine now, which works pretty well, is strontium in the morning before
breakfast, calcium/mag at lunch and dinner. The strontium ranelate that is used
in Europe and on which much of the research was done is the form that seems to have
the bad effects. I don't think you can even get it in the US. Not that many doctors
have heard about strontium anyway. I'm having a DEXA in January,and then I'll be
able to tell if my routine is working. Four years ago I had to stop Fosamax (just as well,
with what I'm hearing now) because of esophageal erosion. I decided then that I had
to do it all nutritionally. So my routine of calc/mag, boron, K-2 and of course D3
seemed to be working, because my last DEXA showed improvement over the last one.

Now I plan to immerse myself in the literature which relates to acid-alkaline balance.
There is a LOT of disagreement here. Some say it's a scam, others say it has a definite
relationship to bone loss. I'd like to get to the bottom of it.
Rose in NJ
Yes the ST ranelate is from Europe. I still think watching your intake of ST is a good idea and not overdoing it in light of the results from the European studies which show potential thrombosis. yikes!

I think your regimen is good and glad you have had improved DEXA.

As for acid - alkaline balance I can't imagine why anyone would defy the benefits of alkalizing your blood. I am a big proponent of this. What have you heard that is bad about an alkaline ph? Acid pH will encourage disease to flourish in your body. An anti-inflammatory diet is also key to good health. I eat lots of turmeric and ginger with my food and my C-reactive protein levels are nearly 0 ( actually .1 at my last blood test) I also try to take in a good supply of EPA and DHA with Omegas 3s ( just started taking salmon oil instead of cod liver oil because the former has even less cholesterol) I also eat lots of sardines from Portugal ( no salt)which are high in Omegas 3s and calcium! This has to be one of the best foods on earth! Check out organic red beet crystals. This is fantastic for circulation. If you want to learn more about acid alkaline balance go to Mother Earth Labs and read about the depletion of fulvic and humic acid in our soil and how our foods are grown in nutrient deprived soil regardless of organic quality! Their fulvic is on my list of things to order. I have yet to try this but plan to very soon. Eat lots of broccoli too, another superb food! I am taking less calcium supplements and relying more on food sources. Many doctors acknowledge the previous RDA of Ca was too high for post menopausal women.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
(female)

RVERS HB User

If you read about the Paleo Diet, it is in many ways a very acid diet,and yet that diet
is now enjoying great popularity. I myself have traditionally done better, weight-wise
on a low-carb high fat diet; the acid-alkaline diet argues with that, so I'mhaving to do
a lot of reconsidering about which way to go.
Rose IN NJ

Reply Reply