It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
(female)

Fighter22 HB User
Angry Spontaneous bone fractures after 84 mos iv AREDIA & ZOMETA (Reclast)

So I'm new to this blog and being able to communicate with people like me with spontaneous fractures and Bronj from in use of bisphosphonates. After a diagnosis of mets to my bones from breast ca at age 52, I took the drugs iv and in 2005 my left femur fractured spontaneously...a titanium rod was placed down the bones and fractured again six months later. Now I have a plate and five nails with no bone union. My DEXA is NORMAL. I never had osteopenia or osteoporosis. After the femur fractures the pain in my jaw turned out to be Bronj and pieces of my mandible fell out into my mouth. Shortly thereafter, while standing still my right foot fractured...a Jones fracture I was told and in a boot for two months, before having bi lateral knee replacements. Three mont hs ago my left foot fractured in two places also out of nowhere. Forteo has already been suggested to me, but I'm sure I'm not going to go that route and am instead looking into working with a Naturopath/homeopathic Doctor...I would like to see a good endocrinologist if anyone knows of a really good one maybe at UCLA or USC. What other suggestions are out there besides Forteo, for which, so far, I'm not very impressed!!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Spontaneous bone fractures after 84 mos iv AREDIA & ZOMETA (Reclast)

holy smoke. You have been through the mill. I had problems with actonal. Did one shot of forteo and felt like I had the worse case of the flu and didn't continue it. I saw Dr Susan Davis at UCLA Santa Monica, who recommended the the Reclast but I am so resistant to it. Now that a UCLA office has opened in Westlake I am going to go see the endo there. I am thinking of trying the forteo again. Dr Davis didn't recommend Prolia yet as it is still so new. It scares me also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

Fighter22 HB User
Re: Spontaneous bone fractures after 84 mos iv AREDIA & ZOMETA (Reclast)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
holy smoke. You have been through the mill. I had problems with actonal. Did one shot of forteo and felt like I had the worse case of the flu and didn't continue it. I saw Dr Susan Davis at UCLA Santa Monica, who recommended the the Reclast but I am so resistant to it. Now that a UCLA office has opened in Westlake I am going to go see the endo there. I am thinking of trying the forteo again. Dr Davis didn't recommend Prolia yet as it is still so new. It scares me also.
I don't know yet, Mel. Have you had fractures? Do you have osteopenia, osteoporosis? Why Forteo? Why any bisphosphonate? If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't make the same mistake, nor we're there message boards like these to communicate and learn from and with other patients. I've never heard of Prolia, but the root I'm taking isn't going to be the big pharm route ever again. Tell me more about your situation. Obviously I'm not a doctor and can't give any advice, but I am willing to share my experiences which is a mill I'd want my worst enemy to go through!!

Last edited by Fighter22; 09-06-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: What is Prolia? How can I get people without osteoporosis to help me. I'm new and am not sure how to post?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

chinabelle HB User
Exclamation Re: Spontaneous bone fractures after 84 mos iv AREDIA & ZOMETA (Reclast)

Yeah I am against pharm route too.

I have posted this before but will do it again to offer some insight to others. Here is what is being said about Forteo at PubHedalth. I can't imagine the benefit risk ratio being positive for Forteo after reading this. I also don't understand how drs are prescribing this if these side effects are possible. from what I undertand it is prescribed by those on high corticosteroids for other conditions. CS cause osteoporosis long term use. Good health to all!

Warning

Teriparatide injection causes osteosarcoma (cancer of the bones) in laboratory rats. It is possible that teriparatide injection may also increase the chances that humans will develop this rare but serious cancer. Because of this risk, teriparatide injection should not be used to prevent osteoporosis, to treat mild osteoporosis, or by people who can take other medications for osteoporosis. You should not use teriparatide injection unless you have osteoporosis and at least one of the following conditions is met: you have already had at least one bone fracture; your doctor has determined that you are at high risk of fractures; or you cannot take or do not respond to other medications for osteoporosis. Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had a bone disease such as Paget's disease, bone cancer or a cancer that has spread to the bone, or radiation therapy of the bones. Your doctor will order certain tests to see if teriparatide injection is right for you.

Your doctor or pharmacist will give you the manufacturer's patient information sheet (Medication Guide) when you begin treatment with teriparatide injection and each time you refill your prescription. Read the information carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions. You can also visit the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm085729.htm) or the manufacturer's website to obtain the Medication Guide.

Talk to your doctor about the risks of using teriparatide injectio

Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
(female)

Fighter22 HB User
Question Stopping bone fxs poss w/ Forteo? Or naturally?

Chinabelle.

Thank you for your warning. I'm very familiar with the dangers and my doc even told me about the labs rats, monkeys and pigs but hasn't mentioned any human that have gotten osteosarcoma from Forteo. However, I'm not willing to be another guinea pig with the chances the pharmaceutical companies take with the life's of unsuspecting needy patients grasping at straws to stop one condition started by an over dosage of a drug (in this case bisphosphonates) that caused the first condition. I'm see my naturopath tomorrow and am going to talk to him. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime I am eating foods rich in calcium as well as taking calcium citrate with vit d3 and extra vit d daily. I pray that the bone breaks stop and plan on being even more careful then before. However, I'm human and can't stop living because my bone(s) might break, right?? I don't have the answer. All I know for sure is Forteo is not on my radar altho I'm open to hearing of any positive results from the drug if there are any folks out ther who have GOOD results with Forteo. What to do, what to do?

Last edited by Fighter22; 09-11-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Edit title

Reply Reply