It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

astonish HB User
Anyone has nice result with Forteo?

Does anyone has nice result with Forteo? I have started for my mother since a month. No side effect yet. her overall t-score is -4.5 what I can expect after a year of forteo treatment?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User
Re: Anyone has nice result with Forteo?

I had very good results with Forteo. My last year on the med followed my third major spine surgery and resulted in excellent bone growth and complete fusion.
I could not be happier. I can no longer have meaningful DXA scans because of all the titanium, but I no longer fracture and I have been maintaining very happily on Srontium citrate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

chinabelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
I had very good results with Forteo. My last year on the med followed my third major spine surgery and resulted in excellent bone growth and complete fusion.
I could not be happier. I can no longer have meaningful DXA scans because of all the titanium, but I no longer fracture and I have been maintaining very happily on Srontium citrate.
Glad you are doing well. Have you taken the Strontium OTC or has it been prescribed for you/ They are working on compounding a pharmaceutical drug with a high level of Strontium but the research shows there is an association with clot formation. Now I don't know if the clot formation is due to the Strontium itself or at the higher concentration used in the study. I have wanted to take Strontium too OTC but I am concerned about this possible side effect. I now take Silica ( the one by HUBNER) in a gel liquid form and try to eat calcium rich foods like sardines and almonds. I was told Silica is excellent for bone health. I am wary of the biphosphonates ( which I assume Forteo is) due to the bone freezing that was found to be a long term side effect with Fosamx. AS you can see I don't trust pharmaceutical companies! What is the dosage of Strontium you take and do you take it on an empty stomach?
All the best

Old 09-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

chinabelle HB User

Sorry to post again but I just looked up Forteo and it's like calcitonin which is a natural hormone made by the parathyroid gland. It regulates BLOOD LEVELS of calcium. I have heard that one can take Salmon Calcitonin nasal spray after bone fractures to accelerate healing but I was not familiar with this Forteo. I will researchmore and post again.

Best to all!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
(female)

chinabelle HB User

Just read this on PubHealth.. good to know.

Warning

Teriparatide injection causes osteosarcoma (cancer of the bones) in laboratory rats. It is possible that teriparatide injection may also increase the chances that humans will develop this rare but serious cancer. Because of this risk, teriparatide injection should not be used to prevent osteoporosis, to treat mild osteoporosis, or by people who can take other medications for osteoporosis. You should not use teriparatide injection unless you have osteoporosis and at least one of the following conditions is met: you have already had at least one bone fracture; your doctor has determined that you are at high risk of fractures; or you cannot take or do not respond to other medications for osteoporosis. Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had a bone disease such as Paget's disease, bone cancer or a cancer that has spread to the bone, or radiation therapy of the bones. Your doctor will order certain tests to see if teriparatide injection is right for you.

Your doctor or pharmacist will give you the manufacturer's patient information sheet (Medication Guide) when you begin treatment with teriparatide injection and each time you refill your prescription. Read the information carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions. You can also visit the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm085729.htm) or the manufacturer's website to obtain the Medication Guide.

Talk to your doctor about the risks of using teriparatide injectio

Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

astonish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinabelle View Post
Sorry to post again but I just looked up Forteo and it's like calcitonin which is a natural hormone made by the parathyroid gland. It regulates BLOOD LEVELS of calcium. I have heard that one can take Salmon Calcitonin nasal spray after bone fractures to accelerate healing but I was not familiar with this Forteo. I will researchmore and post again.

Best to all!
Thanks All for replying....

Turtle Lady. Sounds good that you got better result.
Chinabelle. Yes forteo is human teriparatide hormon injection. It is amazing if patient responds to it. However it is costly and lengthy treatment. But the best treatment for osteoprosis in today's date.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

astonish HB User

Yes Chinabelle,

You are right. Thanks for sharing info. But the risk is little. When you have any disease there is a risk on both side (if you take medicine, if you do not take medicine) all medicine are chemicals that harms body.

Specially for teriparatide, one should not take it for more than 18 months in continuation. normally doctor suggests it for 12 to 16 month.

Thanks

Reply Reply