It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

bearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB User
Fosamax

The doctor prescribed this medication. He asked me to take it once a week. Does anyone have or had any side effects from this medication? He thinks it will benefit me but there is always that burning question, what is the long term effect. If you take it there is still a chance you could break a hip if you don't the same thing. I know you have to decide for yourself. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!!

Bearcubs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Fosamax

I've elected not to do any of those meds. First of all, I'm not sure I believe this hype around osteopenia. Since they don't do a baseline scan in your 20's or 30's, how do they know that I haven't always had bones like this? I'm a petite, white female - I'm at the top of the risk chart anyway.

Secondly, there is growing evidence of femur breaks in women who have been on these drugs for 5 years or more. Just not my cup of tea. As you said, everyone has to make their own decisions and I've made mine - until new data or meds come out that can change my mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
bearcubs (11-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

If I were you I would do extensive research prior to taking Fosamax. I took it briefly several years ago but couldn't deal with the side effects (mainly insomnia which is rare). Anyway, after reading about jaw osteonecrosis as well as it makes bones more brittle, I will never take another bisphosphonate. It's up to you if you feel you should take the risk after weighing all the options.

The Following User Says Thank You to Piano0105 For This Useful Post:
bearcubs (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User

I took Fosamax for about 3 years and developed pain in my jaw. At this point I had a different MD and he had me stop it and continue with Calcium. He said reserch showed that Fosamax causes nasty hip fractures. I had done a lot of reserch and stopped it. To care for my osteopenia I walk and take calcium. Also my Mom who is well into her 80's was put on Fosamax and her mouth began to hurt when she opened it. She was also taken off and relys on calcium. Plenty of info on the net.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
(female)

frenchy2011 HB User
Question Re: Fosamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I've elected not to do any of those meds. First of all, I'm not sure I believe this hype around osteopenia. Since they don't do a baseline scan in your 20's or 30's, how do they know that I haven't always had bones like this? I'm a petite, white female - I'm at the top of the risk chart anyway.

Secondly, there is growing evidence of femur breaks in women who have been on these drugs for 5 years or more. Just not my cup of tea. As you said, everyone has to make their own decisions and I've made mine - until new data or meds come out that can change my mind.
My Dr.wants me to take this medication,but alot of people say its not good Im already on too many medications and vitamins.Don't know what to do ?

Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Why does he want you on it? I just won't take them. Sorry - too many side effects, not enough benefits that can't be gotten elsewhere.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcubs View Post
The doctor prescribed this medication. He asked me to take it once a week. Does anyone have or had any side effects from this medication? He thinks it will benefit me but there is always that burning question, what is the long term effect. If you take it there is still a chance you could break a hip if you don't the same thing. I know you have to decide for yourself. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!!

Bearcubs
Did you end up trying Fosamax? What happened? One thing to realize is that Fosamax is the same as Actonel and Boniva and Reclast. They are all Bisphosphonates. They act to slow down bone break down. I have heard some theorize that this class of drug will upset the natural bone modeling process and cause one to build up old brittle bone because if you slow the break down, then body won't create new bone. However, I think it's a theory. Mainstream doctors site studies that claim this class of drug cuts down on fractures but I do wonder about the way they've done these studies. There would be a lot of variables involved. What were the ages of those involved and how long were they on the drug for?

Doesn't it seem that it's very hard to know what the drugs do since we aren't seeing the bone structure? It's one thing to test BMD but it's another to know if the structure is healthy or not.

I have taken Actonel for a while and then I did the Forteo for two years. My density still decreased over time. So I wonder what I should do.

Reply Reply