It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

bearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB User
Smile Alternative to Bisphosphonates

Can someone tell me what type of over the counter medicine they have tried to build bone mass for someone who has osteoporosis. I don't want to use the bisphosphonates because there are so many side effects and problems with them. Please any ideas would be wonderful.

Bearcubs

Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Alternative to Bisphosphonates

HI bearcubs, I've been using OTC Strontium Citrate for many years and with each DEXA i have seen improvements. There have been quite a few discussions about strontium on this board, you can look them up using the search box on the top left of the page. If you have questions just ask, we'll do our best to help you out. take care, phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

crkrie HB User

hi, this is a 2nd post for me. I'm curious how quickly your bone scans have improved and if they were as bad as mine. (i'm still hoping there might be an alternative to going on Prolia or Risedronate). I have been having DXA scans since 2006 when i was diagnosed with going over the line from osteopenia to osteoporosis and tried several natural ways of building bone. in 2011 my spine T-score was -3.7 and i still refused meds out of fear of side effects (i don't even do asprin). Fell from a horse last year and L2 exploded into my spinal column. Now i'm fused L1-L3 and dealing with back pain and ready to try the most effective/least side effect medication. (I had chromophobe kidney cancer in 2011 and after that developed silent GERD if that is relevant at all).

Last edited by crkrie; 01-21-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: wrong word

Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi crkrie, I started seeing gains about 9 months after starting SC. With each DEXA i have seen steady gains. My hips are now very close to normal and my spine which was in the osteo ranges is in the mid-high end of osteopenia. I am due for another DEXA this summer and am hoping to see even more gains. I have been taking SC for almost 8 years and after seeing the results later this year may stop and see what happens. take care, phyllis

Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

crkrie HB User

thanks Phyllis. I'm 60 and a little worried that i'm starting too late to wait 8 years to get out of the osteo range (my spine is pretty bad at around -.4). at what age did you start SC and with what T score (if you remember)? Did you do this through a naturopath or regular Dr.? Where do you get SC? How much do you take?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI crkrie, I'm 60 also. I started the SC at maybe 53 after a heel test at a local health fair said i had density loss,i then had a DEXA to confirm it. I took actonel for a couple of months before deciding it was not for me. I started SC shortly after that. Without digging out old lab reports i think my spine score was around -3, maybe a bit more. I learned about SC thru my own research and reading about it on osteo broads. I like the fact that its a natural substance with few side effects. I've been lucky and haven't had any unless you count stronger fingernails and increased bone density. I ordered it online from vitacost, or if you're lucky you can find it where you live. The usual daily dose is 2 caps equaling 680 mg. , but i sometimes alternate 1 cap a day for a week, then 2 a day for a week. It makes them last a bit longer that way.

My doctor doesn't recommend it because its not FDA approved, but he has seen the gains i've made. I know quite a few taking it and they have all done well on it. With the surgery you've had it might be a good idea to talk to a naturopath before starting it. Its never too late to make improvements to your health and well being. Take care, phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
crkrie (01-21-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

-.4 is not bad at all! It's great, in fact. I wouldn't get worked up about that score. Weight bearing exercise and cardio along with a good diet should be sufficient.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
(female)

universequeen HB User

I would take a good calcium tab also natural is always better and it is absorbed more quickly by the body

I had osteopenia and now its gone due to weight bearing walks with a weight vest and also eating losts of celery leafy greens olive oil yogurt kefir cheese anything that boosts calcium and is healthy and it works too . Get a weight vest my therapist said the one by nyk is good as it fits very well and I can wear it out anywhere to Really strengthen bone - IT WORKS so do all these things and please dont take those drugs they are so dangerous.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-03-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcubs View Post
Can someone tell me what type of over the counter medicine they have tried to build bone mass for someone who has osteoporosis. I don't want to use the bisphosphonates because there are so many side effects and problems with them. Please any ideas would be wonderful.

Bearcubs
I've taken both Actonel and Forteo and never had any side effects. The side effects they list are only possible side effects. It doesn't mean you would have to have them. I also didn't gain any bone density while on these.

You can always try a medication and stop it if it affects you adversely. Overall I think it depends on how low one's bone density is and how at risk you are to tell you what you want to risk. It feels as though this stuff is pretty much guinea pig land. I still wonder what examples there are of actual cases of anyone's bone density increasing on these meds? They usually only site big study results telling how many fractures there were or weren't in one group. But with that how much could be attributed to other factors such as age, and lifestyle?

Weight lifting, walking, sunshine, natural hormones, and bone builder supplements that include D, K, Silica, Cal and Mag are one way to go if you aren't at a super high risk right now.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
(female)

Denise220 HB User

You might want to consider Evista. It is a prescription med, but is not a Bisphosphonate.

Reply Reply