HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Osteoporosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/osteoporosis/)
-   -   Actonel (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/osteoporosis/929943-actonel.html)

bearcubs 12-01-2012 09:33 PM

Actonel

Is anyone taking Actonel? If so are you taking the monthly dose? How are you finding it?

Bearcubs

minstrel2 01-26-2013 05:25 AM

Re: Actonel

Just started taking the weekly dose three weeks ago. Only thing I notice is some indigestion the day after I take it, but nothing serious. I took it many years ago for about a year, then my insurance wouldn't cover it. My scores have worsened, mostly due to not being able to do much weight bearing exercise. I have spinal stenosis which has caused a weak left leg, and that on that side my hip score was -3. I am 65, so need to keep from fractures.

Titchou 01-26-2013 05:44 AM

Won't take any of these meds. The risks for jaw problems and femur breaks are too great.

PJVA2013 02-26-2013 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=minstrel2;5123283]Just started taking the weekly dose three weeks ago. Only thing I notice is some indigestion the day after I take it, but nothing serious. I took it many years ago for about a year, then my insurance wouldn't cover it. My scores have worsened, mostly due to not being able to do much weight bearing exercise. I have spinal stenosis which has caused a weak left leg, and that on that side my hip score was -3. I am 65, so need to keep from fractures.[/QUOTE]

I'm in a similar situation but I'm just 55 and have scores -3.5 to -4.1 I even went through the Forteo doses and that didn't help. I'm taking Actonel and don't have any side effects, but I really kind of doubt it helps. They want me to take Evista too. That's scares me but so does getting shorter !

Chessie430 02-27-2013 07:53 AM

I lost a half-inch - went from 5'6" to 5'5.5", but grew back as a result of my daily yoga practice. My gyn's nurse said "Oh, that's good stretching, but you need weight bearing exercise." I almost hit the floor! You see, I lifted free weights for over 18 years - even entered a body building competition - and that did not prevent me from osteoporosis. But what the medical proffesion is ignorant about is yoga. It is NOT stretching; if you think it is come "stretch" with me. It is an exercise where you integrate your structure (bones) and flexibility is a result of doing this. I enrolled in a 200-hour certification and now now only practice yoga, I teach it! I also teach Gentle Yoga to older women. I am 54 (55 in April) and went back to Osteopenia without pharmaceutical drugs and grew back due to yoga. Cool stuff really. You must want to heal your body from your soul. When you get deep, transformations happen!

Good luck to you!

Piano0105 02-27-2013 08:21 AM

I lost 2.5 inches but haven't broken any spinal bones so it must be due to age (69). I've tried all of the osteo drugs but can't tolerate side effects. I'm exercising as much as possible and taking calcium, etc. I was given the diagnosis when I was 58.

PJVA2013 02-27-2013 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=Chessie430;5139051]I lost a half-inch - went from 5'6" to 5'5.5", but grew back as a result of my daily yoga practice. My gyn's nurse said "Oh, that's good stretching, but you need weight bearing exercise." I almost hit the floor! You see, I lifted free weights for over 18 years - even entered a body building competition - and that did not prevent me from osteoporosis. But what the medical proffesion is ignorant about is yoga. It is NOT stretching; if you think it is come "stretch" with me. It is an exercise where you integrate your structure (bones) and flexibility is a result of doing this. I enrolled in a 200-hour certification and now now only practice yoga, I teach it! I also teach Gentle Yoga to older women. I am 54 (55 in April) and went back to Osteopenia without pharmaceutical drugs and grew back due to yoga. Cool stuff really. You must want to heal your body from your soul. When you get deep, transformations happen!

Good luck to you![/QUOTE]

That's great for you. When I was in my 30's I gained a 1/2" of height as well from excercise. In my case Im worried about losing large amounts of spine like my mom did. She lost 9" of height. I have the same thin bone frame and 5'3" stature that she started out with. I just went through taking care of my mom for 10 years and she passed away 2 yrs ago from osteoporosis related injuries. I couldn't keep up my exercise routine during those years. Now I'm trying to get back into it, but I don't think I can count on that alone. If I was at the -2.5 stage I would probably think exercise was enough. But now I'm down to the -4.1 and -3.5 stage.