It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Just dxed

My Dr. called this A. M. and said I have Osteopenia, take vit d which I am taking for about 2 years and eat a lot of dairy products which I do especally cheese.

My ?? are does this always lead to osteoporous?

How long does it take to progress?

I have fibromyalgia and had severe low back spasms while the girl was doing
the test, could this have altered the test?

I am a 71 year old female and 2 years ago my test showed nothing.

Thanks, Pa235

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Just dxed

HI pa235, did your dr. give you a copy of your scores? Osteopenia is a precursor to osteoporosis, but doesn't necessarily mean that you will eventually get it or to what severity. At 71 and with the little bone lose you've had you're doing pretty good. You are already doing things that help your bones. You may want ask your dr. about taking supplemental magnesium since it helps calcium absorb better. More exercise could help, but you'd need to talk to your dr. or physical therapist to see what would be best for you. I don't know if the spasms would affect the DEXA, did the tech make a note of that for whoever read the results? You could also request another test ( hopefully, there isn't another spasm) just to be sure the spasm didn't affect the results. If you do get another test try to get it on the same machine with the same tech so everything will be the same. take care, phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
pa235 (12-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

No I did not ask for the score, I never realized a bone density was a score until I read it on the net. I see my Dr. at the end of Jan. and will discuss this with her also the spasms. The nurse said when she called I was a tad over the limited amount. I am just glad I don't have to go on any meds.

Thank you for your help, You read about this on the net and it sounds like it is progressive.

Hugs, linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI pa235, with your dx of osteopenia does come with the chance of progression, but by doing the right things you can slow down how fast it moves into osteoporosis or how it will effect you. Another thing to keep in mind that while many with osteo do break bones, there are many who never have one occur. A good diet, good balance, exercise and supplements can do a lot in the way of helping your bones stay strong.

Since the nurse said you were just a tad over the levels for osteopenia, my guess is that you're probably closer to the normal ranges than than the osteoporosis -2.5. I'm glad to hear that no meds were recommended. take care, phyllis

Reply Reply