It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

CharlieGirl31 HB User
Osteoporosis yearly treatment

Girls I am 49 and I couldn't use the monthly pills and all that was available to me and for the last 5-6 years now I have used the once yearly injection RECLAST. I go to the Hospital and it takes 15 minutes for an IV injection and I'm out the door and good for anothe year.

Just wanted to let you know my preferance of treatment. Best wishes to you all. God Bless.
CharlieGirl31

Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Osteoporosis yearly treatment

Hi CharlieGirl, welcome to the board. Glad to hear the you have found what works for you. In addition to the reclast injections what else have you been doing to help your bones? take care, phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

That's good to know. So you don't find this hard to go through? I'm taking Actonel right now but my doctor is suggesting Reclast instead. I'm not sure why unless she fears I'd forget my dose.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Chessie430 HB User

I had to stop monthly Actonel because I developed Carpal Tunnel symptoms in both wrists and Tendonitis in my left elbow so severe it made my life miserable. I had injections three times in all locations with no relief. I was barely able to practice my yoga. Once I stopped Actenol, within a month my pain had subsided and within 2 months it was gone! My doctor had me tested for Reclast but my urine levels weren't high enough - so just to let everyone know that Reclast is not an option for all people. I take 13 supplements daily and practice Hatha Yoga in 101*. I went from an Osteoporosis level back down to Osteopenia - with no drugs!

Just an FYI....I am 54 and have been off Actenol for almost 2 years now.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-02-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

You've made me wonder. I don't think I have any dramatic symptoms from using Actonel however, I feel as if my knee joints and hip joints are slightly weaker feeling within the last 4 months which coincides with me restarting Actonel. I have initially just thought this is a symptom of osteoporosis or getting older but I think I felt better before the Actonel.

Wouldn't Reclast likely produce the same symptoms since it also acts to slow down bone reabsorption, thus affecting the natural renewal also? Also I wasn't aware that to take Reclast one needs to qualify based on a urine test. What is that about?

If I was at the -2.5 stage or osteopenia stage I probably would not take any drugs. But my T scores are down to -3.5 and -4.1 so it's vital for me not to lose more bone. It's also so hard because one can only find out the result via BMD tests each yr. Hard to know if one is doing right.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-02-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Chessie430 HB User

I was on pain management for a lightning strike over 30 years ago when I developed the extreme joint pain. Both my doctors (gyn and pain mgmt) knew I was on Actenol, but never told me this could be a side effect of the drug. It wasn't until I ciould not go on living with the horrendous pain that I googled "extreme joint pain". Actenol appeared and I immediately put 2 and 2 together, choosing to stop the medication and do whatever it took to keep from losing bone. I was diagnosed fairly young - 50 and had always lifted weights. SInce I stopped Actenol, my dr. suggested Reclast, but you need to have a certain creatinine level - thus the 24 hour urine test (you collect it for 24 hours so the correct level is determined). My creatinine level was too low for me to be considered. I also have had bone loss in my jaw and Reclast can cause osteonecrosis! I am having nasal surgery in March where they are injecting my platelets and cow/pig cadaver bone into my jaw so there will be bone to insert a post for an implant.

I take supplements, the Bone Strength and Bone Booster as well as Citrical + D with Bone Density - a total of 13 a day. I have no side effects whatsoever. I also practice yoga. I have structurally integrated my body and as a result I have returned to my original height. Many people want to be out of pain but don't want to do the work to get there. I have found that once your soul is open you can begin to heal - anything! I am no longer on pain mgmt (after 4.5 years of narcotics) and my body has healed from the lightning strike - no more nerve pain.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

Chessie, In my case what I'm feeling in my joints isn't horrible. I could live with this. So I'm not really sure. I gather from what you say that your BMD scores were never as severe as mine. I think I'm at the point where I'm afraid of gambling the wrong way.

I used to lift weights and exercise a lot in my 30's and up to mid 40's but by 45 I tapered off because of life's tragedies getting in the way and many moves. I always thought I'd pick it back up again but now when I'm trying it's much harder than it used to be. In any case, my fear is that I would not be sure that supplements and exercise alone would actually increase my bone density. Even my Naturalist doctor to ld me to take the drugs also. But I also think it's easy for doctors to tell us to take the drugs because it's all abstract to them. It's according to studies.....not anything they've seen work in real life.

Pam

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Chessie430 HB User

Pam,

You have to do what's best for you. I am only relating my experience. As far as stopping your weight lifting and letting "life" get in the way of your well being, I can also relate. My last relative, my mother, died 12/1/2009. Having lost 2 brothers, my dad and my first dog, mom was my last link. When she passed, I ALLOWED myself to go into a depression and use it and my pain as an excuse as to why I was not taking care of myself or being diligent in my work, home and social lives. I have vowed to not let "life" get in the way of my health any longer. I have a daily meditation practice, do my best to live in the "now" and not react or use excuses as to why I'm not doing what I should for my health.

I am sending healing energy and light your way Pam. I also know that since I am taking care of my physical body, one day at a time, I will be able to handle anything that is thrown my way. Attitude and belief play a big role in healing. I made the decision last February to heal my body - and by May I did. I went from 3 Morphine 15's/day and 4 Oxycodones 15 mgs/day - to ZERO, ZILCH, NADA. That's 7 narcotic pills - no withdrawals and I'm sober 12, almost 13 years.

I know I have Osteopenia/Osteoporosis, but I refuse to be sidelined with horrible side effects where I no longer have the quality of life I want and deserve. Making the decision to heal is the most difficult part, but once that is made, the body will follow. I hope you find the answers - and they are within. It is possible to heal and grow bone back without pharmaceutical drugs, but you must be open to it.

My best to you,
Debbie

Last edited by Administrator; 03-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

Chessie, I wonder when you might have gone through menopause? This also makes a difference. I went into menopause at age 40. From all I've read I really think much of it boils down to what frame you start with, and hormones, and lifestyle. It's not just a matter of one alone. I think If I had been born with a 5'6" medium bone frame I'd probably be fine just living a normal life.

My gut feeling is that I need some sort of hormone boost. I was always low in hormones even before menopause. Yes, of course exercise is needed but I think I'm probably lower in my hormones than you are since I've been post menopausal for so long.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

[
Debbie, Thanks for the healing energy! I can use that. I wonder what exercises you do. Can you describe the yoga. I really wish I could get into an effective routine of something that I'd love.

Pam

Last edited by Administrator; 03-02-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Chessie430 HB User

Pam,

I practice Hatha Yoga from Iyangar - there's a couple of types, but I practice Stationary Sequence where we hold the poses for 45 seconds.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-02-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Reply Reply