It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

Suntanned64 HB User
Osteopenia, Fosomax & Synthroid

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I had a total hysterectomy in 2001 due to severe endometriosis after countless attempts to get rid of it. Best decision ever.

In 2009 I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and my Dr. started me on a generic Synthroid 50 MCG one tablet in the morning on an empty stomach. At that same time, I had my first DEXA scan done and was diagnosed with Osteopenia.

In early 2012 I started taking Calcium & Vitamin D, religiously.

Fall 2012 I had another DEXA Scan with the following findings:
"Evaluation of the lumbar spine from L2 through L4 demonstrates a T-Score of -1.4 which represents mild to moderate osteopenia. T-score at the L2 level is -2.3 which represents severe osteopenia. Findings represents 1.9% interval decrease in bone mineralization since 2009. Evaluation of the left femur demonstrates a T-score of -0.2 which represents normal bone mineralization. Findings represent a 3.4% interval decrease in bone mineralization since 2009."

I've been seeing a new doctor since Fall of 2012 and after the DEXA scan, she started me on a generic Fosamax 70 mg once a week in the morning on an empty stomach & I wait 4 hours before taking any of my other supplements.

I'm very active & have been for the last 5 years or more. I work out 3-5 times a week, walking, cycling, Zumba, swimming etc. and have recently in the last week added weight training 3x per week.

My question:
Does this treatment plan seem logical? I'm concerned mainly about taking Fosamax after reading many articles and forums on the internet but I'm also concerned that my DEXA scan got worse and not better. My calcium has Vitamin D & I also take extra Vit D but there's no magnesium in my calcium. I plan to get an additional magnesium supplement today to take until I run out of the current calcium that I'm taking and get one that has both Vit D and Magnesium next time.

Thanks for your input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Osteopenia, Fosomax & Synthroid

Hi Suntanned, i have been on total thyroid replacement (synthroid 112 mg.) for almost 10 years after being dx'ed and treated for Graves disease(hyperthyroid). The only thing i can see in your info that could cause density loss could be that your dose of generic synthroid may not be just right for you. Too much or too little of that hormone can take calcium from from your bones. How are you Ft4 and tsh labs? How do you feel? You can discuss this with your doctor or maybe have him look for other causes of your loss of density.

How are you doing on the fosomax? Have you had any side effects while taking it? Why did you dr. put you on Fosomax when your scores were still in the osteopenia range and not give you the chance to try and improve them with diet, exercise and supplement? Did you have the DEXA on the same machine each time? Were you offered HRT after your hysterectomy in 2001? Sorry for all the questions.

Your exercise program sounds great, which is not only good for your bones but for all of you. I do have one suggestions about your supplements. The calcium, D and magnesium all in one tables/caps are convenient, but i prefer to take one of each. They are all inexpensive and by taking them individually i feel i am getting the right amounts. Everything we do to help our bones is a personal choice, and finding what works for you is important.

take care, phyllis

Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

Suntanned64 HB User

Hi Phyllis, and thank you for your response. My name is Phyllis also! :-)

I tried to include all pertinent information but your questions are good ones.

I have only had the two DEXA scans, and no, they've been done at two separate facilities because we moved out of state.

My Free T4 level was 1.05 and TSH was 1.73 back in November when I had it checked again. This doctor is wanting to check t every 6 months whereas my last doctor was doing it once a year. It's funny you ask because I've been complaining for the last year almost of having absolutely no energy whatsoever. I'm not depressed, in fact, I have a great life! Happily married for 28 years to a great guy and we just moved to Florida where I'm free to enjoy the beaches 24/7 as I don't work since we moved here.

I've been on the Fosomax for 6 weeks now and haven't noticed any side effects whatsoever that I can tell. I think she put me on Fosomax because of the increased loss in bone density from my scan in 2009.

I have been on HRT ever since my hysterectomy. I went off of it for about 4 months and couldn't stand it. LOL so I'm back on it. For years, I took a bio-identical troche with good results but with change in insurance and jobs, I had to go to something else. Now, I've been on EST METHTEST or something like that, 1.25/2.5 mg. I have good luck with this as well, maybe hot flashes on occasion but nothing like before when I stopped taking it.

Hope this helps.
Phyllis

Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
(female)

Suntanned64 HB User

Hi Phyllis, and thank you for your response. My name is Phyllis also! :-)

I tried to include all pertinent information but your questions are good ones.

I have only had the two DEXA scans, and no, they've been done at two separate facilities because we moved out of state.

My Free T4 level was 1.05 and TSH was 1.73 back in November when I had it checked again. This doctor is wanting to check t every 6 months whereas my last doctor was doing it once a year. It's funny you ask because I've been complaining for the last year almost of having absolutely no energy whatsoever. I'm not depressed, in fact, I have a great life! Happily married for 28 years to a great guy and we just moved to Florida where I'm free to enjoy the beaches 24/7 as I don't work since we moved here.

I've been on the Fosomax for 6 weeks now and haven't noticed any side effects whatsoever that I can tell. I think she put me on Fosomax because of the increased loss in bone density from my scan in 2009.

I have been on HRT ever since my hysterectomy. I went off of it for about 4 months and couldn't stand it. LOL so I'm back on it. For years, I took a bio-identical troche with good results but with change in insurance and jobs, I had to go to something else. Now, I've been on EST METHTEST or something like that, 1.25/2.5 mg. I have good luck with this as well, maybe hot flashes on occasion but nothing like before when I stopped taking it.

Hope this helps.
Phyllis

Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Phyllis, nice to meet you. Here's a few more thoughts...

1. FYI...try to get all your future DEXA's on the same machine with the same tech if possible. There can be variances in each machine and also in how in each tech does one.

2. Thyroid values aren't standardized so without knowing what scale is used in your testing lab its hard to know what the numbers mean, but since you have been feeling tired your dose may need to be tweaked. Any other signs of hypo...dry skin or hair, feeling cold, weight gain? I have learned that its best not to go by the numbers, but how you feel. Lots of dr. only go by the numbers and this is a disservice to person who knows their dose isn't right for them.

I live in central IL and this Saturday my husband and i are having our 40th anniversary. We have 4 seasons here. During the winter we still walk outside when we can and if we have enough snow we cross country ski. We also weight train 3 days a week and in nice weather go hiking. I also ahve a good selection of fitness videos i can do when the weather is nasty.

3. Glad to hear you're doing ok with the fosomax. I took actenol for a couple of months before i realized that that wasn't the path i wanted to take. I opted for the natural substance, strontium citrate, and have good gains with that.

4.I ask about the HRT because i know of some women who didn't take it after their hysterectomy and they have seen density loss.

If you have more questions just ask. take care, phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
Suntanned64 (01-18-2013)
Reply Reply