It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

crkrie HB User
Side effects with Prolia?

I am considering Prolia and would like to hear from people that have been on it for awhile, if they have had any side effects --from constipation to pain or infection ---from it? And if any of you have Kidney cancer or GERD (which i had/have) that could effect? thanks so much.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Side effects with Prolia?

Hi,
I've had three injections so far so 1 1/2 years of treatment. The side effects I had were feeling low energy and lots of additional muscle spasms. I have mild stomach problems if I take antibiotics or such that irritates the stomach but Prolia is an injection and it didn't bother my stomach at all. As it got on to the fourth month after the injections some of the muscle spasms subsided.

I'm not longer taking Prolia and have not had a DEXA scan so I don't know if it did any good or not. I've stopped taking it due to the warnings about jaw necrosis. I'm in need of extractions and dental implants and had a problem at first getting the oral surgeon to agree to work on me. This is a bigger draw back to the medication than the side effects especially if you are in severe pain and need your tooth pulled right away. This oral surgeon wants patients to wait 8 months from the last injection before working on them. Who has 8 months to wait when you've got a dental emergency.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I've had one inj with no side effects. I have a friend who has had several but need oral surgery and was having problems getting the surgery due to the prolia. It bothers me the don't tell us we can't get oral surgery while on this med. cathy

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
(female)

crkrie HB User

thanks for your post and information.

These are the changes I have noticed after taking the shot:

1. I took the shot on Tuesday and my right middle finger went black and blue an hour later, then a day later it went numb and tingly on and off all day.
2. I feel like going back to bed after breakfast. Totally unlike me--I'm a highly active morning person.
3. My bowel movements have increased from once a day to twice a day and are looser.
4. I have slight nausea.
5. I haven't been able to do my regular horse/goat/dog chores and exercise normally because I am very tired all the time. This is discouraging as I love being active and need to be so for my work--painting and animals.
6. My lower back and hips (fusion area) have gotten very sore/achy.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

crkrie,
Sorry to hear your having side effects and I hope these lessen or disappear as the months go by. Good reason not to take medication that lasts a year. Make sure and report the side effects to your doctor otherwise they think patients aren't having any problems with the medication.

no34evr,
I agree with you about the oral surgery restrictions.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

crkrie HB User

thanks taape. tonight i'm developing little hives on my torso. another side effect. geez. i hope these don't last, too!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I'd take some Benadryl and probably wouldn't take it again dont know how it would get next time cathy

Reply Reply