It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #16
(female)

abby20 HB User
Re: Bone Drugs ? just say No.

I've already had a bad reaction to Fosamax, and won't try any of the others, especially those that are in your system for long periods of time. I do not want to deal with the extreme side effects, I have other health issues, and Exercise is not on the list of the things I can do. Even picking up my 5 lb Morkie is very painful...I have a to small to repair torn rotator cuff. Walking is out, no fat in the feet so I have PN in my legs. Crumbled L 4\5 thanks to a PT idiot that adds to the leg pain along with FMS..Fibromyalgia.

Spent 20 mins on hold to Lilly to ask if Forteo came in anything other than the diabetic pen form....NO. DUH what are people with any of the 150 types of arthritis in their hands going to operate fine motor skill products if their hands can't preform the task. BTW the needles were nearly double the drug co-pay.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
(female)

abby20 HB User

Forteo is an 18 month one time treatment with a promise of a 9% bone regrowth, if you dig into the blogs you will find that once you come off of it, it starts to reverse course and send you back to square one. I am not a stupid or uninformed patient, I research them to the inth degree. What the makers, government who are in bed together tell you and what the truth is, is a whole different critter. My full sheet list of side effect riddled drugs I cannot take is longer than the 5 I do take.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
(female)

oscarhon HB User

Hi, What is that vest you are talking about? As far as exercise, Im an avid runner and have severe osteoporosis and even took forteo for one year! I do not lift weights though-is that what you mean?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #19
(female)

abby20 HB User

What if you can't do weight bearing exercises? I do good to walk the length of the grocery store most days. I've tried just lifting the 1 lb cans of veggies. It pulls on my rotator cuff tear, creating agony, and makes my hands cramp. tried the rubber stretch things too. Again more hand cramps even after 3 weeks.

I take 1500 mg Coral Calcium and 3000 units of D, I am not stupid although doctors think patients are, bones take more than D and Calcium to grow, Vit K2 is also needed. along with a lot of minerals. Those vits/mins that cause a baby's bones to grow, also cause yours to grow. Now which of us is stupid, the doctor or me?
And those cholesterol diets they stick you on rob your body of nutrients, which you then have to replace with pills. And those throw other test results off. Just went through that with my Endo. Replacing the MCG of Iodine made my Synthroid med run hot. He made me wait 3 months for re-testing and upped my dosage to where my body likes it. At .125, not the .112 he had lowered it to, because the Iodine made the Synthroid run hot and over drive my thyriod which has very little function left in it.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
(female)

oscarhon HB User

Hi, I have been on forteo for 13 months and saw no change at all-my doctor assured me it's the only one that works and I was so disappointed when there was no change. What are you doing now? I am staying on forteo for another year hoping against hope it'll get better. Did your doctor every check your PNP? (blood test that supposedly can see if the forteo is working?)

Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #21
(female)

abby20 HB User

It's not just Fosamax it is all arthritis drugs, if they don't tear up your GI system, they cause more pain. Not a 1 of them should be on the market. Poorly done research, and a FDA that is in the pockest of big Pharma which are in the pockets of the politicians.

Another drug to avoid like the plague is LYRICA a 50% failure rate because of side effects according to my pain management DR.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #22
(female)

abby20 HB User

I hope your doctor told you that this 18 month program, might rebuild 9% bone, BUT the CAVIOT is that once you are taken off it after the 18 months ALL your gains are negated and you start to re-lose bone growtb, and they stick you back on one of the other Osteo P drugs, usually Fosamax.

I personally see no reason to take a drug that is not going to only work for the length of time you are on it for osteoporosis which is a which is a LIFE LONG condition.

I calculated my out of pocket expenses for the drug and the needles which cost twice what the drug cost. about $850 for a drug that only is a temp fix. It does not compute $$ wise. Being a senior citizen I have to watch every penny I spend and spend it wisely, not on some drug that is not going to repair the problem.

Like many I will stick with the Calcium and D but the dosages have to be fairly high,, at least 1500 mg Calcium, and 3000 Units D per my Endo. No one says anything about the other vitamins and minerals that go into bone growth! Try some googling. Do NOT use OTC crap, it is normally less effective. Puritan's Pride is one of the best vitamin on line places I've found the 1500 MG of Coral Calcium that I use. You just have to be careful and read the entire amount of pills you have to take to get to your desired goal. I was not willing to take 3 calcium tablets per day, and I can only take the Coral Calcium, as the others cause bloating and gas which is very loud and embarssing with each step you take and smells to boot.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #23
(female)

abby20 HB User

I hope your doctor told you that this 18 month program, might rebuild 9% bone, BUT the CAVIOT is that once you are taken off it after the 18 months ALL your gains are negated and you start to re-lose bone growtb, and they stick you back on one of the other Osteo P drugs, usually Fosamax.

I personally see no reason to take a drug that is not going to only work for the length of time you are on it for osteoporosis which is a which is a LIFE LONG condition.

I calculated my out of pocket expenses for the drug and the needles which cost twice what the drug cost. about $850 for a drug that only is a temp fix. It does not compute $$ wise. Being a senior citizen I have to watch every penny I spend and spend it wisely, not on some drug that is not going to repair the problem.

Like many I will stick with the Calcium and D but the dosages have to be fairly high,, at least 1500 mg Calcium, and 3000 Units D per my Endo. No one says anything about the other vitamins and minerals that go into bone growth! Try some googling. Do NOT use OTC crap, it is normally less effective. Puritan's Pride is one of the best vitamin on line places I've found the 1500 MG of Coral Calcium that I use. You just have to be careful and read the entire amount of pills you have to take to get to your desired goal. I was not willing to take 3 calcium tablets per day, and I can only take the Coral Calcium, as the others cause bloating and gas which is very loud and embarssing with each step you take and smells to boot.

Reply Reply