It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

universequeen HB User
Cool Bone Drugs ? just say No.

I was told by my physician to take fosamax for bone strength for osteoporosis.
Results - very very bad. nausea and leg pain .
I said I didnot want to take it anymore so hes very angry at me now. LOL! I decided to take matters into my own hands after doing my homework and found that you can reverse osteoporosis and you can increase bone density with weight bearing exercise ( I use a vest by nyknyc) and with a proper diet lots of calcium both leafy greens and dairy I am now back to normal - I feel strong too
try this and skip those nasty drugs they can make you worse

The following user gives a hug of support to universequeen:
Redsnickers62 (02-01-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to universequeen For This Useful Post:
lilcee (02-03-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
(female)

dembones HB User
Re: Bone Drugs ? just say No.

how long did it take for you to see some improvement? How long ago did you get your diagnosis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

universequeen HB User

diagnosed almost 2 yrs ago and it took about a year to see positive results but it happened .
re building the damage done takes a while it is not a fast thing but it will happen - it does work and as with anything of value it takes some time to get there
nothing instant but at lease I did not lose a leg or get injured by taking the bone drugs out there

Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
(female)

dembones HB User

i am pretty paranoid about those drugs too. Just started weight bearing exercises and been taking lots of Vit D too. Also have been going to tanning salon, where i live we don't get enough sun 6 months out of the year.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User

I took Fosamax for over 3 years due to Osteopenia. Developed jaw pain and went to a different doctor. He said that Fosamax causes "nasty hip fractures" and said to stop and take calcium and exercise. Fosamax can also kill the jaw bone. Look on the net. Glad to say that I have no jaw damage but just exercise and take calcium now. My mom took Fosamax for a few days and her jaw started hurting. She has stopped and takes calcium only.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
(female)

universequeen HB User

your mother dodged a nasty bullet.
I have been writing on how dangerous this drug is so women can know that there are millions of dollar lawsuits over it.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-03-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
(female)

Redsnickers62 HB User

So very glad to know I am not alone on this decision not to take the drugs! I am 62, just diagnosed with osteoporosis of the spine this month, after going 3 yrs between tests. I was due for bone density exam in 2012, but my dr said she would let me pass another yr because my last exam was good and showed no evidence of osteo. Now she want to put me on 70mg fosamax. I said no via her medical portal, called her office to discuss, she has not called me back, but instead mailed certified ltr she will no longer treat me, to find another dr! hmmmmm

Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
(female)

dembones HB User

I actually took boniva for a few months but my dentist got SO UPSET
that i stopped. then i did the research.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi, I had a similar experience with my dr. when i told him i was not going to take actenol and that i was going to take strontium citrate. He tried his best to talk me out of stopping it, but i very bluntly told him i would no longer take it and was going to try the strontium. It was when i told him he was off the hook for any future problems that may result from my choice that he calmed down and wished me luck, doctors are very scared of malpractice suits. That was almost 8 years ago and he has seen with each DEXA my scores improve. He has seen that it works, but since its not FDA approved he can't reccomend it to others.

Be glad your doctor told you to find someone new, you want a doctor who will work with you, not just tell you what to do. Have a good weekend, take care, phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 02-01-2013 at 05:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
Redsnickers62 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
(female)

lilcee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by universequeen View Post
I said I didnot want to take it anymore so hes very angry at me now. LOL! I decided to take matters into my own hands after doing my homework and found that you can reverse osteoporosis and you can increase bone density with weight bearing exercise ( I use a vest by nyknyc) and with a proper diet lots of calcium both leafy greens and dairy I am now back to normal - I feel strong too

Can tell more about what you do - exercises, diet etc? How long did it take to see results? My Dr wanted me to take Actonel. I was leery about taking it after seeing the side effects. But, he said I needed it so I decided to try it. Never again! The day after I took it, I was in such pain I could hardly move. My ribs feel like someone beat me with a baseball bat. My whole back hurts now (two days later) and my shoulders hurt, I can can hardly move my arm. This stuff is bad!! I thought it's supposed to help with the bones, not make it worse.

I'm looking for a more natural way to help. I don't have Osteoprorosis yet, but my Dr said my bones are bad and I'm starting to get it. I'm taking magnesium, Vit D, Calcium and Vit K. I also do some walking on a treadmill.

Can you tell me what exercises you do and for how long a day? My Dr will be mad when I tell him I'm not taking that med but I don't care. It's my body.

Thanks for your help
Celia

Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

I hope you don't mind my jumping (very good for the bones) in on the exercise question. In addition to walking on the treadmill if you are physically able to weight train that would be great for your bones. Your doctor, a physical therapist, or a knowledgeable personal trainer can advise you what to do that is best for your body. Weight training is important because its the pulling of the muscle on the bone that makes the bone stronger. My husband and I go to the gym and workout on resistance machines for 30-40 minutes 3x's a week, walk outside 2 miles or ride a stationary most days. Where we live the weather is a factor. If you get snow where you live cross country skiing is good too.

Another thing to work on is balance, good balance keeps you from falling which is a great way to prevent fractures. there is plenty of good osteo exercise info on the web. the best thing you can do is to keep active and do a variety of activities. Even housework is good for your bones, going up and down steps, carrying bags, gardening or anything else that puts your body to use. take care, phyllis

Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
(female)

thyroida HB User

Quote:
Did you take any calcium supplements (what brand/kind, how much)?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
(female)

jeririgg HB User

The National Osteoporosis Foundation has a great support site called Team Inspire. Lots of great information on battling Osteoporosis naturally.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

Quote:
15 years ago I was where you are. I hadn't had any fractures, I felt fine, but I was told at age 40 I had osteoporosis. They told me to try Fosamax or Evista but I went the natural route of exercise and natural progesterone creme after reading Dr. Lee's book. My bone density never increased at all. However it didn't really get lower. I did try Forteo the injectible for 2 yrs. That made no difference. Then this year when I got my Dexa test I see my T scores went down a full deviation and I'm down to -3.5 and -4.1.

I did do a lot of weight lifting and exercising over the years. At some point due to life's problems I didn't have time for that and gradually became more sedentary. I also went through extreme stress when I lost my mom so that could have had an effect.

Right now I'm back to trying to lift weights and get sunshine and take the supplements. But I think my osteoporosis is severe and I'm feel scared enough to take the drugs. I'm told to take both Evista and Actonel. I saw my mom lose 9" of height and die related to osteoporosis fractures. It's a very hard way to go. So this does scare me.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
(female)

plc HB User

No one wants to take this drugs, however I have taken care of two aunts with osteo, both had pain so severe they prayed for death. Neither took any medication for they felt they were too old for it to do any good. One aunt was 75 the other 78 both of them made me make a promise to take any medication to stop the progression of osteoporosis . Both have passed away now, I am taking forteo. And pray I never experience the pain my two aunts went though.

Reply Reply