It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

Lin68 HB User
Whey protein powder? 'Paleo'-type diet?

I have a question re. whey protein powder - have any of you tried it? I have heard that it might work to build new bone? I am trying to find some without soy, and would love some recommendations.

I have had Osteoporosis for more than a decade and am desperate for some answers. I have broken my arms five times. Two weeks ago I fell and broke a bone in my hand. I will not take Fosamax or Actonel any more. Forced myself for years to take them - and I am quite convinced that that is where some serious stomach issues began for me.

Needless to say, my doctor isn't too pleased, but hey, it's my body and I'm old enough (62) to make my own decisions. But - like all of you, I research the Web and PubMed for anything and everything that might help. This led me last year to try a more Paleo approach - no wheat, grains, breads, cereal, (even oatmeal), soy, any sort of processed foods, sugar, fructose corn sugar, all oils except for mainly coconut and olive. I also am eating far more locally sourced grass fed beef, lamb, making bone broths which i am drinking etc., eating wild caught fish, butter and eggs, plus tons of veggies and fruit. The only dairy I eat is yogurt - which I make myself and ferment for 24 hours.

All of this has WONDERFULLY helped my stomach issues - to the point where they are nonexistent, (!) but my most recent bone density was worse than ever at -3.

Now, I know that bone takes longer to regrow, and I plan to give this diet a good two years before making any judgements re. bone density, but I was wondering if any of you have had good results with diet alone? (I also take supplements - Vit D and Magnesium, specifically for Osteo)

I'm just wondering if it's even possible to reverse bone loss through diet and exercise alone. (As soon as my hand heals, I will be resuming my weights.)

lin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply