It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User
Severe Osteoporosis - Evista?

Hello I just joined this board. I was diagnosed at age 40 with osteoporosis when I went through early menopause. I'm 5'3" with small frame and my mother lost 9" of height from osteoporosis so this runs in my family. Over the course of the last 15 years I have tried pretty much all the different treatments out there including Forteo, Actonel, natural hormones and exercise.

Now at age 55 it is reported that my bone density went down to the -4.1 to -3.5 range. So I'm scared all over again. Prior to this it had maintained a constant range without dropping. My primary doctor tells me I should take Evista plus Reclast. The possible risks with Evista scare me and I haven't heard of any one else taking this. I consulted with a Naturalist Doctor and was hoping he'd advise to forget the drugs and just rely on natural hormones and supplements. However, even he said my case is too severe so I had better take the drugs and the supplements and do the weight lifting and everything possible, even buy a vibration machine if I can.

I still have not lost height and have not had any serious fracture. I have only gotten fractures in my big toe once from a fall and once from playing tennis. If I lived in an age before the DEXA no one would think there was anything wrong with me. I would be merrily living life and not thinking about it. But as it is I have my BMD results and I also witnessed my mother lose 9" of height and die as a result of falls at age 84. It is a horrible way to go. So I know how serious it is.

Looking for answers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply