It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User
Prolia Risks and Benefits?

I was told by my primary doctor I should probably take Reclast and Evista but to go see a Rheumatologist for a consult. The Rheumatologist told me I should probably take Prolia alone. She scoffed at the idea of Evista and didn't seem to think that would be anabolic for bones. I wondered why since it's made to act like Estrogen on bones.

I had already gone on Forteo for 2 years am currently taking Actonel. My bone density decreased after the Forteo. The Rheumatologist says one reason to try Prolia is if the Bisphophonates (like Actonel) did not work for me.

I read that Prolia can have the side effect of increasing cholesterol levels and cause back pain. I wonder if anyone here has gotten these side effects or any others? Has anyone here gotten a BMD increase from Prolia

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Prolia Risks and Benefits?

Hi i've had two injections of prolia. At first i didn't think I was having side effects but it took a while for them to show up or whatever and part of that is because I have fibromyalgia. But after. Several months I did start having severe fatigue, I was already mildly fatigued from fibro, but now I'm bedridden. I also have gastro problems. Have had tons of tests with no answers, its nausea and diarrhea.

I do have bad osteoperosis had to have shoulder surgery because of it. So I don't know what to do in a few months when its time to tske something else. I had one of my other drs tell me not to take any of these drugs that they were poison . Wish I had listened because I have no life now. I don't know what to to do.

Now I'm not in any medical field so I'm just basing this on experience.good luck, cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
(female)

PJVA2013 HB User

I've read that Prolia will leave the system when you are due for another shot. So at least hopefully the side effect from that would be gone. I'm surprised that your doctor said not to take any of the drugs. All doctors I find push the drugs very hard. I wonder if they've ever done a study to compare women who don't take drugs but exercise, get sun and supplements with another group who takes a drug.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Well the other dr was not a bone dr or in that area and happens to be a friend as well. The prescribing dr is an endocrinologist. I had discussed the side effects with her and she just sort of dismissed them. I know she is not going to be happy when injection time comes around again. I don't know what else I'm going to do though. I too have read that the drug only stays in your system a short while. Oh yeah, a friend of mine who was in need of oral implants and could not find an oral surgeon to work on her due to the prolia. She had to wait 8 months before he would touch her. That is another reason. What if it had been an emergency? At least with a pill you may have a little more time there. I still have to check all that out. Then there's that stronium citrate I think its called? A natural med? So much to think about here. Cathy

Reply Reply