It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

ktnap HB User
Thyroid a factor for osteoperosis? I'm also on Strontium

Hi all, I haven't posted in a long time. I'm still on Strontium, but haven't had a DEXA for almost 2 years. I'm sure it is helping, the last DEXA had improvement.

In the meantime, I've been hit MAJORLY by Hashimoto's (thyroid). Long story...I'm looking for a new doctor. I've been trying to absorb everything I can learn about the thyroid and in a couple of sources it has mentioned Osteoperosis as another one of the ways it affects people (as if the 300+ other symptoms aren't enough).

When it was finally discovered, I was having a lot of muscle weakness (even though I exercise religiously) and was falling (but, praise God, no broken bones). I guess the medication might help as well, but the major good changes came when I started loosely following the Paleo Diet and included some supplements.

Just wondering if anyone else with Osteopeorsis might have thyroid issues....?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Thyroid a factor for osteoperosis? I'm also on Strontium

HI Ktnap, how ya been? I have Graves Disease (hyperthyroid), but since being treated i am considered hypo, since i am on total thyroid replacement. Having thyroid issues, either hyper or hypo , can be very hard on the bones. I have no family history or other risk factors for osteo, but believe mine came from being hyper. I've been very luck, since treatment and getting on the right dose, which has changed over the years, i've felt good.

Good luck with the doctor search. Are you looking for and endo or a knowledgeable family doctor? Hopefully you can find one who will listen to how you feel and treat that way and not one who goes strictly by the numbers.

I'm not familiar with the Paleo diet, can you share your version of it? What supplements are you taking? take care, phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
(female)

ktnap HB User

Hi Phylwill! I take a multivitamin with 1000 of D2, plus another 1000 of D2 later in the day. I always include some fat, either with fish oil or egg or some kind of meat when I take it. I count calories and if I don't get enough calcium through my diet in a day, I'll take calcium citrate away from a meal or if I need a lot of calcium, I'll take calcium carbonate with a meal (not very often). I take Strontium daily (away from calcium or calcium sources). I also take 50 mcg Levothyroxine, I added L-Tryptophan to help me sleep at the suggestion of a nurse practitioner, but I'm not sure it's helping all that much. She also suggested I could try Valerian Root, but I have a supply of the other stuff when I ordered my Strontium. Boy, that list seems like a lot but I'm quite sure I'm even still missing something....

At any rate, I do have an appt with a new doc in June, but I'm not holding out much hope. She's with a family practice, but I chose her because reviews said she listens well and the copay is cheaper with that place through my insurance. A friend of mine in Florida (also with thyroid issues) always has the best of luck with finding doctors even though she moves a lot. She says she sticks with a D.O. It seems like they have her trying the things that I find suggested in the research I've done.

She's like you, started with Graves, but when she was pregnant she had several miscarriages and now she is hypo. She used to be stick thin in high school. She's always so "bloated" now. She also has Celiac. I think I may be, too since I find eating gluten-free helps a lot.

I'm not doing Paleo totally (I haven't given up dairy or little treats now and then), but I have found it very helpful to give up wheat, eat meats more and pay more attention to vegetables.) I called it Paleo because I have a very good book on slow cooking for that diet and mainly follow that for my meals now, except breakfast.

I think poor nutrition may be what had gotten me into the mess I was last year. I had fallen for the "low fat" lies and basically lived on low-fat frozen dinners and low fat other things. Even though I'm eating these meats and things, I'm LOSING weight and at 97 lbs. ... I have to eat MORE to keep my weight up, but I do have more energy and even though I've lost weight, FEEL fatter. I don't know if it's psychological or if it's all just "shifting", but if it continues, I'll probably try giving up dairy and the other things I don't want to... It seems I've deprived myself all my life (with the lower fat options) and I may have to deprive myself of more things I love (cheese, milk, sweets). I do still walk and also still exercise with weights.

I didn't mean for this to be so long and realize this crosses the threshold of the Osteoperosis thread into thyroid....I just didn't think I'd seen the connection made here, so I thought I'd put out a little survey...

Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Ktnap, we are taking similar supplements, but i also take extra magnesium to compliment the calcium. I've been taking it for a few years now, but it was a few months after i started it that i realized i was sleeping better. I sleep around 5 hours a night and its a deep sleep. Magnesium has a calming effect on the body so maybe that's what helps with sleeping.

Another thought about when you see your new doctor, have a list of everything you want to discuss, make sure she sees the list and answers all your questions.

I don't lose weight, but i haven't gained either. I lost weight when hyper T, but gained back what i lost after treatment and have maintained that weight for going on 10 years. You might want to ask the doctor to check and see if there is a reason you are losing weight despite your trying to gain. Are you eating any carbs? Where our bones are concerned its best to weight at least 127 lbs. so the impact of walking and such is enough force to keep the bones strong.

We try to eat a balanced diet here. My husband has type 2 diabetes so i try to make meals that are good for him. We eat lots of veggies, have at least one or 2 meatless meal a week (we had a 2 bean enchilada casserole this week that was really good), and have cut way back on red meat. We both exercise, walk most everyday and go to the gym 3 days. Have a good Sunday, take care, phyllis

Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
(female)

percan HB User

Ktnap, I also have Hashimoto's, since 2003, and was given the osteo diagnosis in 2011 with my first Dexa, though I suspect I had it for a few years before. It was my understanding that Hyperthyroid is really bad for the bones, hypo (which is what you are if you have Hashi's) isn't as bad. I don't think there is a cause-effect relationship between thyroid and osteo, they just often seem to go together as both affect more women, and both are more frequent as we get older.

Anyhow, I am also one of the oddball people who loses weight when I go hypo. I've been on thyroid meds since 2003, but started losing weight again (I was holding steady at 105 for a few years) and this January was down to 100. Went to my internist and we found that my thryoid was low again, so he upped my dose. I walk every day and try to get all my calcium from food. I recently started drinking almond milk since it has twice as much calcium as milk which I don't tolerate well anyhow, so the almond milk is working well. I go back for another check on thyroid in a a few days to see how the higher dosage is working, I'm worried that it may be too much - I really want to make sure I don't go hyper as that is very bad for bones.

Phylwill - I'm not sure how you can claim 127 lbs is best for bones, wouldn't it depend on height? I'm only 5'2" and small framed, I'd look like a blimp at 127 and all my life have never weighed more than 112.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, i did some reading and found out more about the 127 lb. number. I was incorrect in the impact factor (altho i did read that some where years ago) but did read that petite and thin people (body weight less than 127 pounds) have a greater risk of developing osteoporosis because they have less bone to lose than people with more body weight and larger frames. You can read more by doing a search "127 lb. bone protection." Sorry for the confusion. take care, phyllis

Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
(female)

ktnap HB User

Percan, Thanks for the response! I was diagnosed with Osteoperosis about six years ago. I just found out about the Thyroid malfunction in the past year, although I believe I've been suffering with it since my early 40s (I've definitely had most of the symptoms for many years and instead of getting to the root cause, the doctor just wanted to give me a prescription for every symptom I mentioned. Thankfully, I wouldn't take the prescriptions she offered). She could have saved me a lot of misery if she would have just gotten down to the root cause.

That's okay, Phylwill....I hear that sort of thing from doctors every time I go. I really don't listen because I have ALWAYS been small framed. I fell about three times in the past year (the one time explained in my first post, the other two on ice) and didn't break a bone even though I fell on my left hip and used my hand to break two of the falls..my wrists are VERY thin). I've weighed in the 96-102 weight range for a very long time. I got up to 104 last year before being diagnosed with Hashimotos... I AM 5'4" which I agree most people would be severely underweight, but this just isn't the case with me. I was only bringing up weight because
I'm happy at 98-101 range, but since beginning the Paleo, I consistently find myself dropping to 97 and don't want to go lower....so I just eat more. I do gain it. I'm an ectomorph in every aspect and hard to develop defined muscles EXCEPT when I gain weight it shows just in my tummy. That's why I'm thinking it might be inflammation (and might mean that dairy might need to go as well) and also hindering thyroid function. It's ALL so very complicated as I think it was too many carbs that got me in this mess. I feel MUCH better (energy, sleep, less brain fog) when I consciously eat more protein and fats and less carbs than I had been, which the Paleo diet fits very well. I also keep track of myfoods on a free calorie website and it gives me an analysis of my nutritional content in a day.

Oh, and I knew I would forget something... I take K2 supplements also. And, I do have Magnesium supplements (K2 and Magnesium are also in my daily vitamin), but can't take the extra Magnesium everyday since it *ahem* loosens me up too much. I will take 1/2 to 1 at night if I've been kinda constipated during the day. You're right, it does help with sleep when I take it. I also think the Citrate taken at night helps a bit with that, but I don't take one if I've reached 1500g calcium with food. I don't know what I'll do about getting the calcium if I find I need to give up dairy. I haven't thought that far ahead.

I, too, LOVE almond milk, but the fat content is pretty high when I'm eating these Paleo meals so I'll drink skim if my website counter says my fat is passing the 35% range...I'm finding it psychologically difficult to consciously eat more fat when I avoided it for so many years!! I'm hoping THAT's why I FEEL so fat. But, how could I be at 97 lbs.??

Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
(female)

abby20 HB User

You are aware that the generic for Synthroid does not function as effectively as the name brand aren't you? I've had the same family owned drug store for 25 years and they will tell you up from the generic is CRAP. Cost difference is very small. Generic made ulcers in my mouth and my hair started falling out, and I started feeling more fatigued after just a few days on the generic. Went back to the name brand and all that went away. ALL generics especially hormone ones are not equal to the name brands sorry to tell that to the ins companies and 0'care.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
(female)

abby20 HB User

Is the magnesium you taking oxide bound, if so you are wasting time, money and getting no benefit from it. It has to be cheleated form or it does not work as well. It is like the generic synthroid crap, it does not work as well and has side effects that the Name brand does not have and the name brand works well and comes in many more different doses.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello abby20, i have always taken real synthroid and have had good luck with it for going on 10 years. Yes, the magnesium i'm taking is magnesium oxide, 500 mg. daily. I tried a cheleated magnesium and found that it didn't work as well for me. We are all different and whats best for one person may not be the best choice for another. take care, phyllis

Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
(female)

abby20 HB User

I was border line hypo T since my teens, no doc would treat it until after the damage to my body was already done. Took a massive attack of hypothyroidsm to force them to treat it. Now the Endo is playing with my dose again, for ever I was on the 0.1, then last year moved to .112, then .125, and the .125 was the magic bullet for me. Muscle and joint pain dropped in pain level, hair stopped falling out, nails started improving and fatigue nearly disappeared. I know the difference from body fatigue and muscle fatigue that goes with Fibromyalgia my second cross to Bear, along with Meniere's, Vertigo, Osteo A and P, and not one drug can I take, they kill my GI system or attack my muscles or vision. I refuse to be a guinea pig for big pharma's killer drugs. Lyrica nearly killed me. 50% FAILURE rate and still on the market and spreading to other health issues.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI abby20, getting on the right dose of synthryoid is the keep to feeling good and it sounds like your there now. I take .112, but over the years it has changed several times. I don't know your age (are you 20?), but after menopause my dose was dropped to the present .112 an has stayed there.

You have quite a few medical issues that you're dealing with. Its good to question what is given to you and refuse anything that doesn't feel right for you. If i've learned anything over the years its to be your own health advocate and to speak up for yourself.

Are you taking any of the osteo meds? Now there is a group of drugs that can cause havoc in a body. What do you mean by osteo A and P, i'm not familiar with that term. take care, phyllis

Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
(female)

percan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
What do you mean by osteo A and P, i'm not familiar with that term. take care, phyllis
Just guessing....OsteoArthritis, and OsteoPorosis?

Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks percan, i didn't think of that .

Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
(female)

abby20 HB User

Lord, I'm into my 6th decade, I turn 65 in August. I first started having muscle issues at 10, by 12 I was stiff with it, impact made me less active. And no matter how bad I hurt I had to work. I divorced after 4 years and 3 kids a abusive man. So for the next decade I was mom, dad, and jack of all trades so to speak with a little help from my parents. It was not until I remarried that the Hypothyroid disaster hit a week in the hospital, lots of test then they decide it is the Thyroid. 0.1 was the dose I got stuck on, it helped, but not enough. My advise never let a PCP do your ENDO work ups, it's like asking him to be your dentist, they don't have enough medical knowledge about it to be the most effective. I will have to call my Endo today and tell him this new lower dose is playing havoc with my joints and muscles.

Having other auto immunes does not help, they keep pushing drugs that I react badly to. Nothing that will send you to the hospital is acute distress, but bad enough that with the disease you wish you were dead.

After their drugs destroyed my stomach with acid reflux, I now have to take 80 mg of Nexium a day, and from that have developed Barret's Esopoagus (sp?) disease.

I have better luck with vits and minerals than I ever had with their drugs. Never hear of a vit or min killing any one, but their pills do kill and or give you cancer along with all the other hellish side effects.

Reply Reply