It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

LOZZIE1 HB UserLOZZIE1 HB User
Unhappy mri worry!!

A little while ago my husband,who is only 52,was diagnosed with mild osteoporosis in his upper back.He had been in pain for quite some time.He had an xray of his spine which showed that a couple of his disc's were not in good condition.He then had a bone density test which showed the osteoporosis.He also had lots of blood tests done which were all normal.Then his consultant decided to do an mri scan of the thoracic spine which he had last week.What has really worried me is that 3 days after his mri he received a letter saying that they wanted him to have another mri to get some more images.He is having that this coming Saturday.I am going out of my mind,wondering what they could have seen in the first scan to make them want another.Is this common?I have had cancer twice in the last 2 years so my immediate concern is a cancer of some sort.Has anyone else had a repeat mri scan that turned out to be nothing serious.Some words of comfort would be very welcome!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: mri worry!!

Sometimes it could be something as simple as the MRI scan was "protocolled" wrong and the wrong images might have been acquired and the wrong type of radiologist might have reported originally on the scan (MRI scans are done on the same area at different frequencies and the images are created with different algorithms depending upon the reason for the scan and pathologies they are looking for, for example some images water is white, fat is black, or fat is white, etc. there are things like T1, T2, FATsat, STIR, all sorts of different things). Also perhaps he just moved during acquisition and the images were not clear. The technologist might have thought that the images were okay at the time - but the radiologist reporting might just want more or a different type of radiologist may want different type of images. Hopefully it is for one of these reasons - nothing serious. There is that risk that it is to better see a pathology as well - but there is no point in worrying, the good thing is that he is getting more imaging soon to better show them what they are interested in. Hopefully you get answers soon.

The following user gives a hug of support to zip452:
Roses8591 (07-10-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply