It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
2013 DEXA results

Hello, I had a DEXA this week and jsut got the results back. Not exactly what i expected, but still good. There were no adjustments made for the strontium so i really don't know how accurate it is.

Lumbar spine 2013 -2.1 2011 -1.8 Seems the spine has lost a bit in 2 years.

Left hip 2013 -0.9 2011 -1.0 Slight improvement

So i guess i broke even (no pun intended) one in the normal range and the other in osteopenia.

Does anyone know what this means Average LSC=0.023/cmg/cm2@95% confidence level?

Now, here's the big question, do i keep taking strontium or stop? I've been on it almost 8 years and this is the first time i've lost density. But then again, i had a different x-ray tech who did things a bit different than the woman i've had the times before which could have made a difference. Any thoughts?

take care, phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
(female)

Joan2001 HB User
Re: 2013 DEXA results

I think you are doing an excellent job. I just get a call from my doctor office that I have osteoporosis. Before I spent most of my time doing exercises and never pay attention on food. I have been taken prednison past 12 yrs. I never take calcium.

I am thinking to take strontium, pat attention on what I eat, do more weight bearing and resistance exercises. Now I am taking calcium 1200 mg with D and magnesium a day.

Take care,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

H Joan, its never too late to make new habits. Did your dr. tell you what your DEXA scores were? You can do a lot of reading about strontium citrate online and decide for yourself if it the way you want to go to help your bones. I've never had any side effects from and until this most recent DEXA i always seen gains in both hip and spine scores. If you have questions i'll try to answer them for you.

Taking prednisone for so many years probably contributed to you bone loss. Have you stopped taking it or decreased your dose? You might want to talk with a trainer experienced with helping osteo people to help you set up a training routine that will be best for you. Start out with light weights and add more as you get stronger. There is also a lot of info a exercise and osteo online to read about.

Good luck, take care, phyllis

Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

Joan2001 HB User

Phyllis: thank you for your reply. I have other health issue and can not stop taking prednisone. I just found out that one cup of boiled collet greens has 267 mg calcium. That's fantastic. You have boil it for 3-5 min. One cup of Raw collet green has only 72 mg. I use the blander to make the juice and cook it with vinegar. Vinegar will let it releases the calcium. In next week I am going decided to use strontium. I may have question from you. I will get personal trainer in next week. I finished half marathon in 2011. I never thought I would have osteoporosis. I was shocked. I will go my doctor's office to get repoty in next week. I am 54 now. Well, that's life. I have to deal with it. I am a newbie now. I'd like to absorb any new information from this site. Thank you again to provide many helps for the people on this board.

Last edited by Joan2001; 08-23-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling

Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Joan, wow, you ran a half marathon, now that is an accomplishment to be proud of. Greens are a great source of calcium and it is best to get it from food rather than supplements. If you look up calcium rich foods you'll find a wide variety of choices.

You are on the right path trying to do all the things that will help your bones. I am going to recommend a book to you, The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson. You can find it at your local library or if they don't have a copy they can order one to borrow. It's loaded with info that other osteo books don't discuss and has plenty of info about strontium. It really helped me when i was first dx'ed and helped to put some of the fears in perspective. I was freaked out in the beginning, but with time i accepted it and got on with life. You'll get there, just give yourself time to absorb all you are going learn. have a good weekend. take care, phyllis

Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
(female)

Joan2001 HB User

Hi, Phyllis:
I get my results back. Spine 3.3, hip 2.5. My doctor prescribe alendronate. But I will hold it for a while. I am going to focus on calcium diet and weight bearing exercises now. I bought the book myth of osteoporosis. It's very helpful. I am small person. I think dexa is not accurate for my situation. I also bought the DVD on exercises for osteoporosis. I think I can do a lot to improve my condition.
Thank you very much for the info and tremandous help.

I will keep update my situation. Take care,

Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
(female)

Joan2001 HB User

Hi, Phyllis:
I get my results back. Spine 3.3, hip 2.5. My doctor prescribe alendronate. But I will hold it for a while. I am going to focus on calcium diet and weight bearing exercises now. I am still thinking to take stontium too. I bought the book myth of osteoporosis. It's very helpful. I am small person. I think dexa is not accurate for my situation. I also bought the DVD on exercises for osteoporosis. I think I can do a lot to improve my condition.
Thank you very much for the info and tremendous help.

I will update my situation. Take care,

Last edited by Joan2001; 08-29-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: .

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Joan, a -2.3 on your hips isn't that bad, its in what they call osteopenia and not in a danger zone, you're spine -3.3 is something to keep track of. I took the drugs for a couple of months while researching other options, but stopped after learning about strontium. You're right about being small and the DEXA. Its too bad that women aren't given DEXA's at a much younger age just to see what our bones are in their prime and to see how they change as we age. BTW, if you don't mind my asking, how old are you.

A diet with plenty of calcium and a program of weight bearing exercises is a good start. Don't forget to also take vitamin D and magnesium since they both help with the absorption of calcium as well as other health benefits.

Glad to hear that you got the book, it has so much good info that you can't go wrong reading it.

One thing to keep in mind is that just because you were told you have osteo in your spine it doesn't mean that you are going to break. Stay active, and live your life. Good luck with your lifestyle changes. take care, phyllis

Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
(female)

aprilaug HB User

Hello Phyllis,
I have a question regarding strontium, does it help to build bones or does it coat your bones as I understand this is what prescription drugs do? Do you also take vitamin K2?

Thank you
April

Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
(female)

Joan2001 HB User

I am 54 today. Do you take strontium and calcium? Or you just take strontium? Any difference? I read somewhere that adult women still grow 10 to 15% of bone every year I don't know if its true.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Joan, is today your birthday? Yes, i take oth calcium and stontium, but not at the same time. They need to be separated by several hours. I take calcium in the morning and the strontium at night. Calcium and strontium are similar in how they work and what they do, but taking at the same time would interfere with the absorption of each one. That's a good question about bone rate growth as we age and one I've never looked up. Since there is bone turnover, i would guess there is also growth, but maybe not at the same rate as when we are young. I'll have to look that up. take care, phyllis

Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI April, strontium doesn't coat the bones like the drugs do, but aids in the formation of new bone. Like i told Joan, there is plenty of info about strontium online to read. I'd also recommend you read the book i mentioned to her. It does take time for strontium to work and as you saw in my results there isn't always an improvement, although i did have gains in the previous DEXA's I've had. I don't take K2, i just stick to the basics, get daily exercise and eat a healthy diet most of the time. take care, phyllis

Old 08-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
(female)

Joan2001 HB User

Phyllis:

How much you take for Strontium and Calcium? Thank you.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, the recommended dosage is 680mg. daily, 2 capsules at the same time. It is also recommended that you get at least 1000mg. calcium a day while taking it. It should also be taken on a mostly empty stomach. Have a good day, take care, phyllis

Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
(female)

Joan2001 HB User

Hi, Phyllis:
If I were you, I would keep taking strontium. Have you heard saying: don't fix it if it's not broken.

Thank you for the info. I will start to take strontium as soon as I get it.

Happy holiday,

Joan

Last edited by Joan2001; 08-30-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: .

Reply Reply