It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Pain management help for Cervical Biopsy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Bengal2
(female)

Bengal2 HB User
Pain management help for Cervical Biopsy

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with HPV high risk strands & my pap was abnormal stating an LGSIL present on the cervix. My Dr wants to do a Colposcopy & Cervical Biopsy Without any pain management. This to me sounds INSANE. Why would a Dr ever do any biopsy without giving something for pain??? Please, can anyone give me some possible options of what I might be able to ask for to manage pain during & after the procedure?? I do not want to go get this done without it.
Also, has anyone had this done, what was your experience during the procedure & after? How much does the procedure hurt & how bad is the pain / how long does the pain last afterward? I am very sensitive there, & even a pap hurts a little & I can feel discomfort for a couple of days following those.

The following user gives a hug of support to Bengal2:
tortoisegirl (07-10-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Pain management help for Cervical Biopsy

The test is very similar to a pap smear, except they use a bright light and a tiny binocular type instrument to see the cervix. It is not painful. If they decide to biopsy, they use a numbing agent, and there is little to no pain. It sounds scarier than it is.
You likely can get by with Tylenol or Advil .

Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Bengal2
(female)

Bengal2 HB User

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. My Dr said she will most likely do a biopsy even if she doesn't see anything wrong during the Colposcopy. They use no numbing agent at all for the biopsy. I do not like the idea of someone cutting pieces out without anesthetic. I feel that pain should be managed, & not ignored by the Drs even if it's minimal. I even get pain from a normal pap, so this concerns me a great deal. I also don't understand, why if it's such a minor thing, does it cause bleeding for a week? If it's really so minor, why does it bleed so much? & if it's bad enough to bleed that much, I would expect it to be painful too. Idk. I had a breast biopsy done almost 2 months ago & they told me I'd be pain free in 3 days. It still hurts & aches all the time. Now they are telling me it's perfectly normal to feel this sore & to expect the soreness to continue another 2 months or so... Why did they lie to me in the beginning?! I'm really annoyed with the fact that I cannot pick up & carry my son without it hurting, I can't carry him on that side anymore, can't swim laps, can't do push ups, can't strain that side in any way etc without it hurting & then aching for a good day or more after I do something that irritates it. I'm afraid the cervical biopsy is going to cause me the same problems. I'm thinking about all the ways I move in which that area is effected, so am I going to feel soreness & pain every time I walk, sit, run, climb stairs, exercise etc & Definitely during sex?! I don't want to do this. Is there any alternative?

If cancer grows so slowly, Why should I have to endure such a painful & life altering (for months I'm assuming) process if they can just Watch it for any more changes?! Then if it gets worse instead of going away since this detection of abnormality, Then I could get this done if it's needed? It feels like this is extremely premature & there really isn't a need to put me through the pain of this procedure, & I feel like they are lying about how easy it is so I'll get it done & then I'm stuck dealing with the constant pain of the after math for as long as it takes to Finally heal which I'm assuming will be a Very long, & Frustrating time having to constantly endure cervical pain & soreness. I don't want to go through that.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

There may be some mucus and blood tinged discharge according to my reading for up to a week,
but it doesn't appear to be more than what women typically get toward the end of their periods, according to my reading. A local anesthetic (topical) is used, and the procedure is pretty short, so anesthesia would be a bit of adding risks to a minor procedure.
The biopsy let's them know if there are already changes in the cells and if so, what kinds and how closely the situation needs to be monitored and where on the cervix they want to keep tabs on.
I've been through several punch breast biopsies and typically after a week or so, the area may stay tender, depending how deeply they had to penetrate the breast tissue.
If your doctor is suggesting the cervical biopsy, if I were you, I would go ahead and follow his/her recommendations. It sounds like you are scared, and I don't blame you, but it really is your best interest to get the test done and find out where things stand.
A heating pad, ice, maybe otc meds will work better than you think.
Good luck, [canQUOTE=Bengal2;5463091]Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. My Dr said she will most likely do a biopsy even if she doesn't see anything wrong during the Colposcopy. They use no numbing agent at all for the biopsy. I do not like the idea of someone cutting pieces out without anesthetic. I feel that pain should be managed, & not ignored by the Drs even if it's minimal. I even get pain from a normal pap, so this concerns me a great deal. I also don't understand, why if it's such a minor thing, does it cause bleeding for a week? If it's really so minor, why does it bleed so much? & if it's bad enough to bleed that much, I would expect it to be painful too. Idk. I had a breast biopsy done almost 2 months ago & they told me I'd be pain free in 3 days. It still hurts & aches all the time. Now they are telling me it's perfectly normal to feel this sore & to expect the soreness to continue another 2 months or so... Why did they lie to me in the beginning?! I'm really annoyed with the fact that I cannot pick up & carry my son without it hurting, I can't carry him on that side anymore, can't swim laps, can't do push ups, can't strain that side in any way etc without it hurting & then aching for a good day or more after I do something that irritates it. I'm afraid the cervical biopsy is going to cause me the same problems. I'm thinking about all the ways I move in which that area is effected, so am I going to feel soreness & pain every time I walk, sit, run, climb stairs, exercise etc & Definitely during sex?! I don't want to do this. Is there any alternative?

If cancer grows so slowly, Why should I have to endure such a painful & life altering (for months I'm assuming) process if they can just Watch it for any more changes?! Then if it gets worse instead of going away since this detection of abnormality, Then I could get this done if it's needed? It feels like this is extremely premature & there really isn't a need to put me through the pain of this procedure, & I feel like they are lying about how easy it is so I'll get it done & then I'm stuck dealing with the constant pain of the after math for as long as it takes to Finally heal which I'm assuming will be a Very long, & Frustrating time having to constantly endure cervical pain & soreness. I don't want to go through that.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Bicycle4Joints
(female)

Bicycle4Joints HB User

A biopsy is not cut out of your body. It is more like a thin needle that takes an extremely tiny cylindrical sample from your body. Yes some people bleed more than others after these procedures so the doctors will tell the longest time of bleeding after the procedure. The scariest part is the what ifs. I do feel like the most important thing for me was to feel comfortable with my doctor when I was navigating through fibroids and extremely painful periods. I went through 3 gynelogical surgeons before I felt the surgeon was the right doctor for me to do the surgery. Also try asking for a smaller device that is heated before they insert it into your vagina. I also try to relax my mind which relaxes my muscles and think positively before any procedure done to my body. It helps a lot. I myself would rather know what the reality of a condition within my body. Not knowing it doesn't make it go away. Knowing it gives me possibilities to deal with the problem. May you find peace in dealing with this situation.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Dtrace
(female)

Dtrace HB User

It's not that bad ..I had a uterine biopsy with no pain medicine or numbing agent....It was uncomfortable for a min some discharge cramping for 2 -3 days...You will tolerate it well.....just take something after for cramps if you need it. Good luck

Old 07-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
kis348
(female)

kis348 HB User

The reason they don't give anything for pain is because it's completely unnecessary. There is no pain.

I've had cervical dysplasia of varying depths four times, resulting in four treatments with the laser (via colposcopy), and I have a biopsy via colposcopy every six months. I have HPV Type 16, which is the type that causes cervical cancer. Unless you find a PAP test painful, you won't find this procedure painful either. A Colposcope is basically a large microscope. As mentioned, they use a numbing agent and I've never felt anything more than some slight pressure and maybe a mild cramp or two. The whole thing takes about 10-15 minutes.

Last edited by kis348; 07-24-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
cervical biopsy, pain