It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Finding pain management Dr.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Peaches2017
(female)

Peaches2017 HB User
Unhappy Finding pain management Dr.

Hi, I don't want to bore anyone with all I have wrong and I rarely come out of my shell to admit I'm suffering but to make this not so boring I need advice . I have had new stuff going on and possible lupus that this pain management dr I been seeing has been trying to help me . I'm new with narcotic therapy but it started in 2015 when I was sent to the most nicest dr in the world and my friend . Well anyways I made an early appointment because I was intense pain and for the last month I took 3 pills a day not 2 Bc it wasn't helping and I have limited types of meds I can take . Hydrocodone , Percocet , dilaudid , pain patch , all that I couldn't take Bc of stomach so the extended release seemed fine but I started getting I think immune to it so I took 3 and I never failed drug tests , dr shopped , or complained up until my numb foot and horrible headache was just to much so I figured since I have took one extra on bad days before it would be ok . Anyways I went to early appointment and seen new NP I never seen before and told him I was early because I'm going to run out 8 days early and need adjusted plus some shots in my neck . He set me up for ultrasound tomorrow and said he had to talk to my dr and that what I did was against contract and I could get my dr in trouble . I honestly didn't know since I did that before on bad days and I definitely wouldn't have went early had I known my dr wasn't there . Well after my lecture I understood better and learned I'd never do that again Bc I didn't know the extent of trouble that causes . So I'm thinking things are fine and I will just pick up meds whenever my dr reviews but oh lawd I get a call on Friday morning that they dismiss me ! I'm embarrassed and I let down a man who trusted me and his staff . He was my friend and I felt comfortable but I honestly didn't know I put him in a bad position ! I didn't get to see him to apologize and I know he hates me and I've let everyone down ! So now idk what to do or where to go . I can't taper off something I need Bc pain is awful and I keep a journal and write everything in it and things have gotten worse ! I have no family to tell Bc my momma dying and I run our poultry and cattle farm and do men's work and I don't get days off Bc I help a dementia patient to ! So I feel now Bc of taking those 3xs a day instead of twice I'm never going to be liked or wanted and I don't know where to start . I'm scared ! I mean how do I tell primary dr who sent me to help me again? Won't she loose trust and dismiss me ? I'm trying to get through life and as I see we all are but is life over Bc of my first mistake ? Stupid mistake ! And I wished I'd read that contract better ! advice highly appreciated & im sorry I rambled boring stuff and I can't explain anything right .

The following user gives a hug of support to Peaches2017:
tortoisegirl (08-14-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Finding pain management Dr.

Welcome! Sorry you are going through this. I have heard of folks who were dismissed having a very tough time ever getting opioids again due to having that red flag on their record. If you signed a contract which said you were not to take more than prescribed, that there would be no early refills, etc, then sorry, but tough luck. If you never signed anything like that and were never told of the rules, then that would suck. Yes, doctors put their license on the line, and especially now, they cannot justify keeping a patient who cannot follow the rules and takes extra and asks for an early refill, even for legit pain.

By the way, the appropriate thing do to in that situation would be to call your doctor as soon as you had an increase in pain and ask them what you should do about it. In some cases they would tell you to take extra (and they would ok an early refill), or they would call in something else to take, or see you early, or just in essence say sorry tough luck you have to wait it out.

I would request your full records from that pain clinic to check them over and ensure that they portrayed everything accurately. If there are errors, ask them to correct them. Hopefully your primary doctor can help you out. However, it is getting tougher and tougher to get any opioids for chronic non-cancer pain, even for patients who have been on them long term and had previously failed years of treatments.

Even perfect patients are having their dosages dropped or even being taken off of them. Hopefully you have some non-opioid options left (often things are overlooking by one doctor, but a new doctor opens up some options). Another pain doc may be able to help with that, even if they won't prescribe opioids. Ideally, there would be a treatment plan using a combination of therapies, including some around the clock and some as needed.

I'd suggest you taper with whatever you may have left, as it is very unlikely this would be solved in the very short term. Also, keep in mind that with chronic pain, it is often unrealistic to keep a very active lifestyle, physical job, etc...doctors aren't aiming to medicate us to a level that allows us to do that. It is expected that we will make some lifestyle changes as well. Many people need their pain meds just to get out of bed and care for themselves. It is important to discuss realistic expectations with your doctor. Hang in there! Best wishes.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Finding pain management Dr.

First, I am sorry you are in this situation. Am I reading correctly, you have 4 different opiates AND extended release opiates, and you ran out 8 days early? That's an awful lot of taking extra meds. It is called self medicating and abuse of the meds, and usually results in exactly what happened here.
Even before all these new restrictions came into place, anyone doing this would be dismissed.
Did you not read the contract before signing it? They typically are very clear about taking more than prescribed, early refills, and such.
Now, it is even harder and Dr's have no choice but to enforce the contracts period.
If I were you, I would immediately start tapering, assuming you have any meds left. If not, you might want to consider seeing your primary about some meds that can ease the withdrawal symptoms.
It is pretty doubtful that any doctor is going to prescribe opiates at this point, BUT injections, physical therapy, other med types are still a treatment option.
I wish I had better advice, but the current environment is putting both doctors and patients in a position of no second chances.

Reply Reply