It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
(male)

vitonxl HB User
Unhappy Nerve Damage in Back After Surgery

I'm 25 yrs. old and had laminectomy and disc fusion surgery two yrs. ago. They took out my L5-S1 and put a artificial disc in, a bar to support, 5 pins and cleaned up my L5 and S1 from the damage of the herniated disc. I was diagnosed with degenerated disc disease. I tried everything before surgery. Epidural's, physical therapy and pain mgmt. It just got worse. Ever since the surgery for the last two years it's been worse than it was before surgery. I have stabbing, electic feeling in my lower back where I had the surgery and down my left leg. Down my left side sometimes to my knee, but not on both sides at the same time. I can't sit, stand longer than 30 mins. I can't bend consectively or I will be in dying pain. I have been to the ER because I couldn't open my eyes or stop crying from it. I went to see two neurosurgeons that are well known across the country. They both tested to see if my other disc where herniated or my disc was fused. Nothing was wrong. One surgeon went from taking out the hardware to not even wanting to touch me. My pain doctor and regular doctor thought it was scar tissue, but both neuro dr's said that's not even my problem it's the nerve damage. My regular doctor accepted it and suggested to stay on my pain meds, keep excersising (which i can't), and working. I go to my pain dr. tomorrow (Jan. 15th). All he ever talked about is that it's not nerve damage even though the first surgeon told him. He wan't to put a cathader in my back and inject meds to break up the scar tissue. The surgeon said it wouldn't benefit me because the nerve damage is my problem, also about getting me off my pain meds. I told him how about getting rid off my pain and I'll get off of them. I take 20mg oxicontin 2x and 4x of 5mg percoset. I wouldn't be alive without it! I don't understand the big deal with it? It doesn't get me "high". It bothers me to get drug tested and to plead to get help for my pain. Before I was on oxicontin I was planning my suicide. I still can't do anything I use to love like mountain bike, run or go out with my friends. I have to here it from my fiancee's about how I can't make it over to there house during Christmas because I was at my Dad's and couldn't walk or sit. Why shoud I have to deal with my Dr? Why can't they support you?
Any suggestions for treatment? I just got a TENS unit and it helps my muscles and the pain when I'm using it. I've tried about 15 pain meds. I'm 25 yrs. old and trying to get my life back.

Last edited by vitonxl; 01-14-2004 at 01:17 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to vitonxl:
Ayvalik (02-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Nerve Damage in Back After Surgery

Hi XL, I imagine part of the problem is that your young and docs don't want to be responsable for making you opiate dependent for the rest of your life or untill they have the technology to deal with failed back surgery, post laminectomy syndrome and failed fusions.

You shouldn't have the leg pain if they decompressed the nerves unless you did major damage to the nerve root prior to surgery.

Are you taking any of the anti seizure meds for nerve pain. They usually work through the diferent meds like Neurontin, Topamax, Dilantin, Lamyctyl etc.Untill they find what works best with the leqast amount of side effects.

The anti seizures are supposed to disrupt the nerve transmision of the pain signal. Anti seizure meds have been used for the last 5-6 years for neuropothy but heir use for nerve pain is still considered off label, meaning using the drug for something it wasn't deigned for.

The med Lamyctyl is also supposed to speed the procces of nerve regeneration. IT's pretty normal to just have one side involved, In fact it confuses docs even more when you have Bilateral neruopothy or radiculopothy. Normally a disc bulge or stenosis or what ever is causing the nerve pain is dominant on one side.

If you can find a "dermatone map", which would be easy on the net you can actually follow the nerve path directly to the problem and figure out what level the pain is coming from.

I was fused from L1-S1 and during the 11 hours on the table nobody considered moving my legs or hips to prevent positioning damage to the nerves from my hips to my knees. It's believed that nerve tissue will regenerate at about 1cm per month. meaning they can masure from the problem area of your spine to the end of the neuropothy and give you an idea of how long it will take to regenerate.However it's been almost 5 years since my last surgery and I'm still as numb as the day I woke from surgery. At least the burning leg pain was relieved with each surgery.

The newest antiseizure med Lamyictyl is believed to have added nerve regeneration properties. Nerve pain is the hardest to treat and opiates alone will rarely relieve the bulk of nerve pain. The antiseizure meds have been a life saver for many and a source of annoying side effects for many others. But with Lamyctil hopoefully this med will speed up the process of nerve regeneration. TAlk to your doc about it.

I would also point out why should the pain of a 25 year old be taken any less serrious as the pain of a 40 year old or a 50 year old. When you point out the obvious discrimination against young people and the lack of effort being made to treat your pain it may snap your doc back into reality.

Learning to talk to your doc in terms he understands is important too. Just teling him your pain is a level 8 or 9 really doesn't give him anything to compare it too. Everyones 8 is different and the use of high numbers doesn't neccesarrily explain what your experiencing. describing what the pain does, how it effects your life, what it prevents you from from doing are all better ways to describe your pain than assigning a simple number to your individual level of pain.

It's not unusual that your fiance doesn't understand what your going through. It's hard to describe pain to someone that hasn't experienced life altering pain.

As far as telling your doc your suicidal without the meds, It really isn't the greatest idea, because in the same breath your asking him to supply potent opiates that you could take you life with. Describing it as suicidal levels of pain that's becoming harder and harder to deal with doesn't exactly suggest you are suicidal but gets the point across.

Comunication is the key to obtaining proper pain relief. Also understanding that you may never be pain free again is something you may have to except. If a PM doc can reduce your level of pain from a suicidal level in the 8-9 range down to bearable in the 5-6 range is the most PM docs usually shoot for.

Having unrealistic expectations of pain relief from medication, like wanting 0 pain just isn't realistic in many cases.

When they do intrathecal morphine pump trials they call a 50% reduction in pain a success and grounds to continue on with the actual implant. Would you be satisfied with a 50% reduction. Being younger makes it harder to except that you can no longer do some of the things you were used to.

It doesn't mean your life is over, just changing into something you hadn't really planned. But then again, who's life really turns out exactly the way they planned. The doc neeeds to know that your expectations are reasonable and your not shooting for 0 pain but trying to function to the best of your ability with the help of modern medicine.

Your own expectations of pain relief have as much to do with obtaining pain relief as the docs attitude about prescribing these meds.

Physical dependnece is inevatable but managable if your expectations are realistic. Expecting to be pain free following invasive back surgery with implanted devices isn't a realistic expectation.The only way to maintain 0 pai is to constantly increase opiates to the point of not being abler to function. When the side effects and nagative aspects of these meds outweigh the benefit, it's very hard to justify continued use of the meds.

When the meds are doing more good than harm then the risks involved are exceptable and hoping for enough pain relief to be able to function and care for yourself is a reasonable expectation. I would be sure both you and your doc are on the same pageas far as what you expect from these meds. Some tolerance is inevatable, But many people also go for years without needing an increase in meds once they reach a level of relief that allows them to continue to work on their recovery and function at exceptable levels.

There are other methods to relieve your pain aside from opiates and being open to trying them has alot to do with whether you will succesfully find something that actually works. Chemical removal of scar tisue like prolo therapy has as many negative downfalls as possible curative properties. How do you get a chemical to only destroy scar tissue and not damage healthy muscle and tendons and tisue you don't want removed by a chemical.

Nerve blocks can be done to relieve the leg pain however nerve blocks only last 6 months. Even if you test well with a trial block you would still be facing a lifetime of continued nerve blocks should things not continue to heal. Opiates are truly the least invasive method to manage pain, Physical dependence doesn't mean addiction.

Addiction is a combination of negative and destructive behavior regardless of the outcome. Doctor shopping that could land you in jail. Use of meds that costs you your job, and relatioships and actually hinder more than help is a sign that your crsoing from dependence into addiction. But statistically, when pain meds are used solely for pain and there is no other emotional reason for the use of these meds, the lielylihood of becoming actually adicted is roughly in the 2-5% range.

Few true pain patients actually become addicted to their meds where the meds are causing more problems then they cure. Realistic expectatin is a big part of succesful management of pain with opiates. There will be people that won't understand your meed for pain meds and honestly the meds you take don't need tobe public knowledge. OxyC has such a high street demand and value telling friends and aqauintances your on it can lead to theft, robbery or worse.

Unfortunately CP truly tests any relationship. If your fiance is already having troubles with excepting that you have limitations and that there will be days that regardless of what you take for pain, traveling or doing things you guys are used to is no longer reasonable. Honestly, better to find that this person isn't a better or poworse kind of person prior to marriage is better than marrrying someone only to be belittled for the meds you take and your inability to function fully they way someone is used to. I'm not saying it's a huge character flaw, being faced with marriage to a disabled person takes a very special and understanding person.

IF you are already getting grief over what you can't do, how will this person react to the days when he truly sees the full extent of what this surgery has done.

Disc replacement is experimental and very few harware devices implanted in the back actually have FDA aproval for use in the spine. Pedicale screwsw are used often but only have aproval for use in the Femur or long bones of the leg. At last the two sets of hardware I have had implanted and then broke were both not approved for use in the back. We get to be the guinea pigs in hopes that some day they will better know how to deal with some of the problems we have.

Welcome to the forum, and remeber there is no such thing as a dumb question. education is your best weapon and tool for finding pain relief. The folks her do experience the kind of pain you do and understand what your going through. Although we all all somewhat internet strangers you won't find a group of people that understand any better than the folks here that are dealing with the same issues. Welcome and take care.
Shore

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
Ayvalik (02-16-2011)
Old 01-14-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
(male)

vitonxl HB User

Thank you Shoreline. I appreciate your time.
I'll definetely talk to my Dr. about Lamictal tomorrow. It's approved by my insurance so they'll pay for it. I have tried two anti seziure meds. They didn't help me to where it was beneficial. I know one was Neuroton. I'm somewhat happy where my pains at. Happy is a reall understatement. Without out it I'm at a 10 and with it a 7. Which is the difference from not being able to get out of bed to not being able to out to eat and some drinks. When your that young (I don't know your age) and everybody around you is going out and having fun and your sitting at home it's a little depressing. That's what I meant. My fiance thinks she understands, but she's pretty good about my limitations. Nobody besides yourself how you feel right then. That's the problems with the doctor at pain mgmt. He just wants me off the pain meds and out of his office. I don't want to be on oxi the rest of my life, but if it's the best at helping my pain than I will. The Dr. has never suggest anything to me besides Neuroton and Epidural shots. Neuroton didn't help then he upped my dosage and it made me sick. Epidural shots didn'
t even help. The second of the series did a little for about a two weeks. He's talking about injecting pain meds to my scar tissue, but all the dr's I seen about my condition say it wouldn't benefit me. The pain dr. disagreed with the 3 surgeon's I seen when they say I have nerve damage. I told one surgeon that the pain mgmt. dr said I would have dropped foot and wouldn't be able to walk if I had nerve damage. Surgeon said that's not true. The pain dr. doesn't believe me that I want to be off the pain meds. and that's it. He doesn't trust what I say to him because of my age. He acts like I have to do what he says and that's it. I just wish that I can go on with my life and not worry about not managing my pain. When I wrote about finding another dr. I didn't mean hopping around. I had an ex friend that had a dependancy problem that stole 20 pills from me and I had to call the cops. I would never jeporadize my family, job or my health to get a buzz. I really don't understand the whole thing about oxy. Honestly, I don't get "high" from it. I owe my life to it and I appreciate being able to take it. It benefits my life.
Thank you again Shoreline!!!!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to vitonxl For This Useful Post:
Ayvalik (02-16-2011)
Old 01-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #4

enon HB User

Hi vitonxl,
I'm a long time lurker on this board and rarely post, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. My medical history is too long to go in to (I'm lazy). But the short version of it is that my situation is pretty similar to yours. I'm still relatively young and have been through 3 back surgeries over the last 10 years, 2 of which could be classified as failed surgeries. I'm currently on PM medications like most of us here. Shoreline always give the most practical and effective advice(which is why I never post). To reiterate what he said though that is very important: Doctors don't want to hear about your emotions or feelings. They deal in just the facts of the matter. Learning to speak to them factually and presenting just the information of your situation is key to getting what you need. The other thing to keep in mind is that Doctor's opinions are just that; opinons. I've had many doctors in my history disagree with each other about my condition and prognosis. PM docs, GP docs, and surgeons all come with their own perspective about medicine. You have to be confidant about what you believe to be in your best interest and don't let them tell you otherwise. But, be polite about it. If you don't feel your PM doc is serving your best interest, find one that will.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:10 PM   #5

kim32 HB User

I feel for you, I know what you are going thru,
nerve damage pain is just awful!! :-(
I have nerve damage from having gallbladder
surgery back in november of 2002.
the pain has lessened a little bit since then,
but i am still in pain and have to take pain pills
I take "ultram" 50 mg 3 times a day, (I can't
take oxycontin or anything else because it
makes me dealthy sick, i have such a weak
system) :-(
but ultram makes me get migraine headaches
so the doctor has me on another medicine to
help with the headaches but he said
that it will take 4 to 6 weeks before it
works, nothings a quick miracle he said.
there's always
one pain after another, UGH!
but i just want you to know that i feel for you,
and that to let you know that your not alone.
I understand about having your loved ones
not understand your chronic pain, my husband
didn't understand it and wasn't that supportive
of me until he found out that he has diabetes
and that now he has nerve pain in his feet and
it's hard for him to stand for long periods at a
time, so now he finally understands what it's like
to be in pain all the time.
i think that if everyone walked in our shoes
then they wouldn't judge us, that they would
be more understanding and supportive about what
us chronic people go thru just to manage from
day to day.
I know that my husband now finally understands.
I'm sure that one day your financee will understand
what your going thru.
Kim

Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
(male)

TcRadioDJ HB User
Exclamation Re: Nerve Damage in Back After Surgery

I totally understand nerve pain. I am 38. Had cervical fusion and disectomy, Which failed. I am in severe pain, the nerves are damaged, I take handfulls of meds 4 to 5 times a day, I take neurontin, tramadol, oxycodone mainly all for pain. I am tired of medicating myself, I cannot take the oxy's and do any sort of work. I currently try and at least get 4 hours a day at work. but most of the time I do not make it. Ive been through major depression with this. I am not medicated for that but I was taking meds for roughly 6 months. I do not know if there is any sort of treatment for nerve pain, but I do not want to live on pills. As time goes on, they do become less and less effective. I am going in for spinal stimulator which will be installed into my neck. The trial seemed to be somewhat helpful to me.

What can I do to get the nerve damaged fixed?

I went to a psychologist, (which is required to get a stimulator) and he told me that I wont get any better and I need to accept it.
I can't accept it. With our technology today, there has to be something that will give me relief. I am not asking for 0 pain. I know that is unrealistic, but even dropping it in half would help my life extremely!

Any ideas anyone?
Kelly

Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello, chronic NECK pain patient here also. 38 years old. same age as you. never been through an operation but the pain is severe in the NECK.

No doctor understand what it really means to live or 'exist" with chronic pain in the NECK.

and all this happened cause of a car accident. Is that why you have this neck/nerve pain also?

I dont' think there is anything to do to fix damaged nerves. With all the technology today I don't think so.

p.s I'm also sick an tired from all of this.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-23-2009 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

I also visit this board frequently but I really have nothing to offer in the way of help except to say I understand.
I also have nerve damage, weakness and pain. Then I got fibro on top of all that (lots of back patients get post traumatic fibro).
I am in pain all the time. I take Vicoden and Skelaxin (for the spasms that fibro causes) most days. On the really bad days I have the Fentanyl Patch. I have to take Lunesta to sleep at night. Nothing takes away all the pain. Yes, I too worry about addiction but I can only say IF that happens I will have to deal with it later. Right now if I want any quality of life I MUST take pain meds.
I too looked into the spinal cord stimulator and morhine pump. One of my issues is scar tissue from the first surgery. I'm sure you are aware that when they put it in, that is also a surgical procedure which may very well cause more scar tissue and you could actually become worse. That is why I elected not to go with that.
My injury was 2 years ago, also a workers comp issue. I have tried for two years to continue to work in a "sedentary" position and I have gotten worse instead of better due to the fibro. My doctor pulled me out of work for good last week and encouraged me to apply for disability.
So I can offer my understanding for your situation. Yes, it does suck no matter what your age.

Deb

Old 09-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb53 View Post
I too looked into the spinal cord stimulator and morhine pump. One of my issues is scar tissue from the first surgery. I'm sure you are aware that when they put it in, that is also a surgical procedure which may very well cause more scar tissue and you could actually become worse. That is why I elected not to go with that.
Deb
Thanks Deb, I had no idea CSC can cause scar tissue. That's something to look at. they've never offered me one. I'm learning A LOT here, I have to tell you.

Do you have any idea how can I know how many and where my scar tissue is located?. I must have some cause I suffer from chronic pain caused by a car accident but doctors have never discussed it with me. Also, I see you have tmj, what treatment you get for that?. I believe I also have it. plus, how do they check nerver damage, is it EMG?.

I'm glad lunestra helps you. It stopped working for me(been on it about 2 years I think) and I need to find something else for sleeping.

All right, hope to hear from you, be well, feel better

Last edited by nochange; 09-13-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
(male)

TcRadioDJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
Thanks Deb, I had no idea CSC can cause scar tissue. That's something to look at. they've never offered me one. I'm learning A LOT here, I have to tell you.

Do you have any idea how can I know how many and where my scar tissue is located?. I must have some cause I suffer from chronic pain caused by a car accident but doctors have never discussed it with me. Also, I see you have tmj, what treatment you get for that?. I believe I also have it. plus, how do they check nerver damage, is it EMG?.

I'm glad lunestra helps you. It stopped working for me(been on it about 2 years I think) and I need to find something else for sleeping.

All right, hope to hear from you, be well, feel better
Hello!

Yes scar tissue can be a problem at times. I however, have elected to get the spinal cord stimulator installed. They will be putting it all the way up to the c2 level to help with c5,6,7 issues. I also had a fusion with discetomy done last september, it was a failed surgery, I also have been living with severe, chronic pain that has caused me many problems, as you all know that suffer with chronic pain. I did the trial about a month and a half ago and found it to be helpful. It seemed to relieve 40-50% of my chronic pain, which also helped me to be able to cut back on the pain meds which I take several of. I am only able to function at work for about 3-4 hours max and then I go home and crawl into bed. That has been my life for over a year, however I had my accident with a drunk driver back in 91. I have had many problems all along, but the last 2 years, I have deterioated severely. I feel like 100 years old. It is horrible. Most of you understand what I mean.

I elected for the SCS over the pump for a few reasons, mainly, that I do not want to have to live with constant meds. The SCS or a pump does NOT fix the problem. It is a "bandaid" to help you get through extreme pain. Some of you are inoperable. Ive been told mixed messages. Ive also been told, cervical surgery has a much less success rate over lumbar surgery.

Thank you all for your support!
Kelly

Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
(male)

TcRadioDJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
Hello, chronic NECK pain patient here also. 38 years old. same age as you. never been through an operation but the pain is severe in the NECK.

No doctor understand what it really means to live or 'exist" with chronic pain in the NECK.

and all this happened cause of a car accident. Is that why you have this neck/nerve pain also?

I dont' think there is anything to do to fix damaged nerves. With all the technology today I don't think so.

p.s I'm also sick an tired from all of this.

I surely understand. I also am a 38yo male, with 6 herniated discs. I had spinal fusion done in the c5-6 level. It was a failed surgery however,. I also suffer from horrible, chronic pain in the neck, arms, and between my shoulders. It is just a horrible way to live with chronic pain. I have been fighting for 2 years to get some results, I did get the fusion done, with no relief. Now, I am getting a spinal cord stimulator installed. The trial was helpful for me. Although it can be excellent for some, and uneffective for others. Cervical placement of the leads is also very tricky. There is very little room up there compared to the lower back. Cervical SCS surgery is rather dangerous, but I am more then willing to take that chance to help with the pain. And even if it causes me paralisis, I look at it this way, at least I wouldn't be in pain. I know its kind of a horrible thought, but for those of us that suffer from horrible pain, being paralized would certainly take that pain away in most cases. So Ill take the risk to hopefully have the reward.

Kelly

Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

No Change...
Scar tissue will show up on your MRI. Where I have my MRI, they just got a new, very strong MRI machine and the scar tissue around the nerve root at
L5-S1 is very visible. I'm not sure if it would show up on a less sophisticated machine. Mine shows up on the "contrast" films of the MRI's.
Everyone has some scar tissue at surgery sites. Some get a lot more than others. If you are a person who normally gets large scars (sometimes called a keloid) on the outside of your body, you may be more prone to scar tissue inside your body after surgeries. I've always gotten lots of it but I had no choice for my laminectomy/disectomy because I had a large part of the disc which was broken off and "free floating". This is the cause of my permanent nerve damage.
I'm not saying I wouldn't get a spinal cord stimulator.....I may get tired of pain meds one day and give it a shot. I would just go in knowing that with my history of scar tissue I may be worse.
For my TMJ...I wear a bite guard at night and do exercises on my jaw (you can find some online). Lots of people with chronic pain get TMJ because you clench your jaw in response to the pain
Nerve damage....yes, can be documented with an EMG.
feel better!

Deb

Last edited by deb53; 09-15-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Didn't answer all the questions

Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
(female)

Jarileigh HB User

Kelly, have you checked into disc replacement? My husband had his ADR (artificial disc replacement) done in Germany (they have been doing over there for 20 years and have more sophisticated equipment) and he had wonderful results. He had a bone spur as well and suffered for 9 years, but he has been pain free for 4 years now. The Dr. that he saw has a 90% success rate (I think because he doesn't take patients that are not likely to have a successful outcome) and he has even fixed fusions successfully. A artificial disc provides support, it lasts longer than your lifetime and the surgery has very minimal scar tissue. I would suggest that you look into it. I hate seeing someone in so much pain, I would be glad to give you more information (on the doctor) if you are interested. Best of luck to you!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
(female)

Jarileigh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRadioDJ View Post
I surely understand. I also am a 38yo male, with 6 herniated discs. I had spinal fusion done in the c5-6 level. It was a failed surgery however,. I also suffer from horrible, chronic pain in the neck, arms, and between my shoulders. It is just a horrible way to live with chronic pain. I have been fighting for 2 years to get some results, I did get the fusion done, with no relief. Now, I am getting a spinal cord stimulator installed. The trial was helpful for me. Although it can be excellent for some, and uneffective for others. Cervical placement of the leads is also very tricky. There is very little room up there compared to the lower back. Cervical SCS surgery is rather dangerous, but I am more then willing to take that chance to help with the pain. And even if it causes me paralisis, I look at it this way, at least I wouldn't be in pain. I know its kind of a horrible thought, but for those of us that suffer from horrible pain, being paralized would certainly take that pain away in most cases. So Ill take the risk to hopefully have the reward.

Kelly
My husband's insurance company compensated him for his cervical ADR surgery in Germany as well. Although everyone is different, I wish you the best that your pain/quality of life gets better!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
(male)

TcRadioDJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarileigh View Post
Kelly, have you checked into disc replacement? My husband had his ADR (artificial disc replacement) done in Germany (they have been doing over there for 20 years and have more sophisticated equipment) and he had wonderful results. He had a bone spur as well and suffered for 9 years, but he has been pain free for 4 years now. The Dr. that he saw has a 90% success rate (I think because he doesn't take patients that are not likely to have a successful outcome) and he has even fixed fusions successfully. A artificial disc provides support, it lasts longer than your lifetime and the surgery has very minimal scar tissue. I would suggest that you look into it. I hate seeing someone in so much pain, I would be glad to give you more information (on the doctor) if you are interested. Best of luck to you!
Hello! I have not checked into that exactly, however, they when they took the anterior part of the disk out, they did use cadaver bone to stabilize the disks. They also, because of my age, used a dowel system instead of metal plates and screws. I am in Minnesota, USA so Germany would not work for me, but I certainly appreciate the offer for the info!!

I will certainly let you all know how my sucess has been with the spinal cord stimulator. I know and hope others know an SCS does NOT fix the problem, it however, helps with the chronic severe pain. Also with an SCS, you are Unable to have MRI's once it is installed because of the metals in the leads and the unit itself. The nice thing about these other then the pain management part, is that it can be removed easily as well.

Is there anyone else here that has one? I would love to see your results.

Thank you all for your support!
We are all in the same boat here. Keep supporting and caring about each other. It is great therapy to know that you are NOT alone!

With love,
Kelly

Closed Thread